Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 04:42 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts
Default adding a load resistor to tail light assemblies

Hello All,

I've done a cursory search about the topic, but the manner of construction of the actual wiring harnesses for the three rear tail light bulbs (fogs, turn signal, reverse lights) seems to differ from what other threads have suggested for handling the Can-Bus error message generated by using LED bulbs instead of standard bulbs, and I'm hoping wiring in a load resistor is a fairly straight forward affair.

I noticed three leads plug into the harness the bulbs fit into, power, ground, and a white lead that goes to a board I assume is the Can-Bus system for monitoring the fail state of each of the bulbs.

The question is; using the Sylvania made load resistor setup, would I run it in series through the Can-Bus lead, or the power lead? I'm assuming Can-bus, but all things being equal I'm probably so hopelessly in the weeds here that a gentle reader might just point me in the direction of the correct line of thinking instead. I fear I wound up going down this rabbit hole after upgrading the fogs and front bulbs to LEDs and have a desire to complete the circle. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2019, 06:41 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

This assembly connects to the Comfort Systems Control unit. The CAN buss lines are connected to the Control Unit.

It would help to know the year you are referring to. This diagram is for the Gen 1 Cayenne. It may be the same for Gen 2, don't know for certain.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:06 AM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

08 957
Old 11-04-2019, 12:54 PM
RSbob
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

It would be very helpful if all users updated or created signature lines in their User CPs with the year and model of their pigs.
The following users liked this post:
v10rick (11-04-2019)

Quick Reply: adding a load resistor to tail light assemblies