Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU program question -- is it possible to...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 03:57 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Default ECU program question -- is it possible to...

In the ECU tuning programs I have read about, each one talks about multiple tunes for different octane levels, valet mode, etc. I see this fairly standard across the available ECU packages for various Turbos.

Has a company been able (or is it even possible) to link those tunes to the air suspension button in the 955/957? I.e., I hit "sport" and I get a performance tune along with the air suspension change, I hit comfort and I get a more tame tune (thinking fuel economy, daily driving), etc., etc. It would be nice to be able to tap into that increased performance, but limit the wear and tear/fuel economy of a performance tune, and be able to change that with the same button as the suspension change.

Apologies if this is not possible/a stupid question, just curious if any of the tuners (Fabspeed, Flat6, any of the others mentioned in some of the threads on page 1) have thought about this.

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:47 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

It really depends on if we are talking about the 955 or 957. They are very different.
I have a 955 so correct me if I am wrong about the 957.
On the 955 the Sport button refers to the air suspension. The 955 has also has a PSM button that we know changes several operating parameters vehicle wide.

On the 957 I believe that the psm button has been replaced with the label "Sport" and also changes parameters vehicle wide including the suspension. However the sport button next to the rockers only correlates to the air suspension.

Anything is possible if you can wrap your feeble human mind around it, in reality.
To do what you are asking I think is possible. But, would require some reverse engineering both of code and CAN BUS signals. Possible but will NEVER happen because the gain for this one feature makes it financialy unfeasble for anyone involved.

However, if we could get Syvecs to make a PNP kit for the CTT it would open up an entire world of possibilities that IMO would pretty much shut down every other canned tuned out there. When I say "Canned" I mean that most of all the tunes out there for the Cayenne came from only a few sources originally. Different tuners/vendors have attempted to put their twist on them with varying levels of success. speaking of tunes, IMO, only a few are super legit. I base this on many many conversations I have had with many engine "tuners" as well as years of research I have done on my mission to build my Cayenne.

Speaking of tunes or tuners there are a few that I would like to mention because I feel like they are super legit.

Softronics/ Scott Slausen
APR/ who makes a very cool tune with great features for the Cayenne that I never see anyone mention. APR has a stellar rep.
Steve Mason of Mase Engineering who I think also tunes for Fabspeed. ( I may be wrong!)
FVD who I really know nothing about except you have to go thru Rhonda and its supposedly some undisclosed german tuner that does the work.

Fact is there is only so much you can do with the factory ecu's without going into a whole bunch of expensive development which financialy brings us back into the realm of Syvecs. Now I am not a Syvecs Fan boy but I do respect what I know about the product. I have been playing with their software for quite some time and it is AMAZING! There is so much hysterisis and boolean conditions available which opens up a ton of possibilities. And that's just the tip im sticking in.

I would suggest that anyone who likes this type of thing to download the software and check it out for yourself. I have started a GOFUNDME page for Syvecs PNP kit for the Cayenne if anyone just wants to give some moola away.....
Old 07-24-2017, 11:15 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Great answer, thanks for the input. I figured, being all zeros and ones, "it" is POSSIBLE, just not probable given the complexity yet likely low payout for something like that.

I'll take a look at some of those companies, and see what they are able to come up with.

SUPER impressive engine build. Didn't realize you undertook that.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:16 PM
DDM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if any of those "tuning" companies are doing e-tune specifically for your vehicle, i.e. they send you a file, you load it then go do a few pulls, send the log back to them, they mod the file, you load the new file and pull a few time again, repeat until the tuner is satisfied with the numbers. Or do they just send you a generic "upgraded" file and that is it, no logging at all?

I'd prefer some kind of logging to make sure all the numbers look good instead of just a generic update to the boost, fuel trim, and such.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:11 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Softronics for sure does use data logs and does revisions.

Quick Reply: ECU program question -- is it possible to...