Sponsored by:

Special Edition Boxster® S Celebrates 50 Years of the 550 Spyder

Old 11-21-2003, 07:07 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Special Edition Boxster® S Celebrates 50 Years of the 550 Spyder

ATLANTA, GA, Nov. 21, 2003 - Porsche® has announced the creation of an exclusive 2004 Boxster S model designed to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the legendary Porsche 550 Spyder. To be unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in early January 2004, the new "50 Years of the 550 Spyder" Boxster S reflects the spirit of one of Porsche's most famous models.

The Boxster is styled after the 550 Spyder, with similar bodylines, mid-engine roadster configuration, low weight, excellent agility, and a high level of driving pleasure. The new commemorative Boxster S further reflects this classic Porsche model with performance enhancements and additional styling cues not previously available on Boxster models.

For added performance, the new Boxster S edition is equipped with the most powerful engine ever offered in the Boxster model line. Rated at 264 horsepower (SAE), the 3.2-liter flat-six cylinder power plant propels the car from 0 to 62 mph (100 km/h) in 5.7 seconds, and to a top track speed of 165 mph (266 km/h). Sportier suspension settings, 5 mm-wide wheel spacers on all four wheels, and standard 18-inch Carrera wheels improve handling, while a 15 percent shorter shift travel in the standard six-speed manual transmission provides quicker gear shifting.

As most 550 Spyders were painted silver, the new special edition Boxster S is finished in GT Silver Metallic, a color only found on the Carrera GT and "40 Years of the 911" models. The soft top is in Cocoa, a dark brown color used by Porsche for the first time. For additional visual emphasis, wheel spokes are painted in Seal Grey, a colored Porsche crest adorns each wheel hub cover, and the monoblock brake calipers have an aluminum paint finish. Other exclusive exterior styling features include silver-painted grills above the rear strut openings, a specially created stainless steel tailpipe, chrome plated and polished Boxster S lettering on the rear deck lid, and safety bar padding that matches the car's interior.

Cocoa and GT Silver dominate the car's special interior with matching carpet and floor mats featuring the Porsche script logo. The center panels of the standard heated seats, handbrake lever, gear lever gate, ball-shaped aluminum gearshift ****, inside door handles, and padded sport steering wheel are covered in Cocoa colored leather. The rear section of the center console, handbrake lever, grooved bar on the dashboard, switch panel, and the back of the safety bars are painted in GT Silver Metallic. Instruments are uniquely styled with black faces surrounded by chrome plated decorative rings.

Other standard features include Porsche Stability Management (PSM), an on-board computer, Litronic headlamps with dynamic beam angle adjustment and a cleaning system, and a wind stop. The Tiptronic® S automatic transmission system, GT Silver seat back shells, and Dark Gray natural leather interior (at no extra cost and with corresponding black top and carpets) complete the short list of options.

Named after its corresponding internal design project number, the 550 Spyder was the first Porsche sports car created exclusively with racing in mind. Among its numerous racing successes was a class victory in the 1954 Carrera Panamericana - the famed Mexican road race. Triumphs such as this contributed to the Porsche brand fame and its current familiarity among the general public.

Production of the new Boxster S edition is limited to 1953 units to commemorate the 550 Spyder's introduction at the 1953 Paris Motor Show. A limited-edition plate on the center console indicates the Anniversary car's production number. The new Boxster S model will go on sale in the United States and Canada in March 2004 at a price of $59,900 US and $85,300 CAN.

Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), based in Atlanta, Ga., and its subsidiary, Porsche Cars Canada, Ltd., are the exclusive importers of Porsche vehicles for the United States and Canada. A wholly owned, indirect subsidiary of Dr. Ing. h.c.F. Porsche AG, PCNA employs approximately 250 people who provide Porsche vehicles, parts, service, marketing and training for its 204 U.S. and Canadian dealers. They, in turn, provide Porsche owners with best-in-class service.

Email me if you'd like a copy of the order guide for this car.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:18 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it. And considering the equipment, it's nicely priced.

Love the interior.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:14 PM
Moogle
Race Car

quick, use up the left overparts by making lots of BS model variants before 987 997 arrive!
Old 11-22-2003, 12:58 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

Leftover parts. You mean like the Short Shifter kit that was just introduced? Or the new leather colour that's never been used before? Or the extra Seal Grey paint that no one likes for the wheels? Or the Litronic lights and sport seats that no ones ever orders? Or that extra horsepower that's just sitting around?

Leftover parts. Right.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:44 PM
KJM3SMG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

price is good considering the options, but it's still basically a Boxster S with special options and extra 8 hp or whatever.. looks the same especially from non-Boxster enthusiasts.

I don't see the point except for people to say "oh it's not just an S.. it's a 550 commemorative"... wish they really made a distinctive variant.

KJ
karljay.com/cars

my 2002 M3 SMG - 19" rims, 8000k HIDs, Formula One tints, Naxxos fogs
2000 Boxster S - B&M Short Shifter, Naxxos Xenons
Old 11-24-2003, 11:07 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I think seal grey painted wheels are leftovers, come'on who orders seal grey painted wheels other than some seal grey fanatic? These should be POLISHED 18" Carrera wheels and that would be the first change I would make if ordering one.

I wonder where they squeezed the extra 8hp out of and why that hasn't been done for the rest of the S's? Could it be they used GAIC or other aftermarket ECU tuning?

I'd have to see the cocoa top and interior in person to see what it really looks like and given that the Boxster already comes in artic silver and seal grey, adding another silver to the mix really doesn't make it stand out from the crowd, but I recognize the reason why Porsche chose that color. I'd rather see the Carrera GT silver with a Lipstick Red interior for this car, but again, I guess I could wait and see.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:09 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Oh and I have to say "What??? No Speedster Humps included???"
Old 11-24-2003, 11:58 AM
Difference Engine
Racer

Originally posted by Ghost Rider
Yes I think seal grey painted wheels are leftovers, come'on who orders seal grey painted wheels other than some seal grey fanatic? These should be POLISHED 18" Carrera wheels and that would be the first change I would make if ordering one.
It's not like they've got a pile of seal grey wheels sitting around. Wheels are painted as neccessary.

I'm thankful they're not polished. Maybe in Florida that shiny junk works. I just think it's tacky.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:55 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

No, but they might have buckets of Seal Grey paint laying around that they don't know what to do with except paint wheels...

If you've ever seen a Turbo with polished wheels (Turbo 2 wheels) you might think otherwise, they look really sharp...
Old 11-25-2003, 02:55 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Oh and I have to say "What??? No Speedster Humps included???"
I gotta agree with you there.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:37 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

If you've ever seen a Turbo with polished wheels (Turbo 2 wheels) you might think otherwise, they look really sharp...
Seen it. Don't like it.

We've delivered 2 Turbos and had the wheels polished. Ther company we use does excellent work, but I just feel chrome does not belong on these cars. Too tacky looking.

But to each their own.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:06 PM
9caregiver
Racer

Porsche blows it again! 550s used a yellowy tan colered interior (with a basket weave texture) and tan top. Brown??? Speedster humps would have been nice. Gold Porsche emblems like the original, Maybe some red stripes on top of the rear fenders like the original or some leather straps for the hood...The only thing that this has in common with a 550 is the color silver. I don't like to be negative but this was a really good oportunity to do something really special. This reminds me of Porsche's move to not have a 50th. Anniversary Porsche BUT have the Millenium edition 911 which as you may already know is sought by collectors around the world. Didn't that car also have painted grey wheels? Don't get me completely wrong this Boxter looks atractive. Why not just a special edition? Special edition 550 is insulting. Oh well.

Best,

Don
Old 11-26-2003, 08:53 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

DE,

I see a difference between "chrome" wheels and "polished" wheels. I agree I don't like chrome on a 911 either, too bling bling, but some of the best wheels to ever grace 911's have been polished. Granted I like deep-dish polished wheels better, then again I like deep-dish pizza better too.

Rennmann,

So right, they could have done more to make this edition truly special, but I just don't see it here. The "special" exhaust tip is nothing more than the already available tequipment tip. There is nothing stopping you from building this Boxster S yourself, albeit you'd pay more for custom paint and custom leather, but everything else is off the shelf.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:38 AM
JeffES
Pro

No, the ME coupe had polished wheels.
Anyway, I like it! If I didn't have one (2.7) already, I'd be in the market.
J
Old 11-26-2003, 12:01 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

On a semi-related topic, if you were in charge of things, what would you have done for a special edition 2004 Boxster?

For me, it would have been like a Boxster/GT3. A stripped out, higher horsepower, lighter weight Boxster S.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Special Edition Boxster® S Celebrates 50 Years of the 550 Spyder