Sponsored by:

Fuel supply and fuel return

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 03:04 AM
neilll
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Fuel supply and fuel return

Can I just get a quick confirmation of which side of the engine's fuel rail is supply and which is return?
Old 07-04-2017, 10:36 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by neilll
Can I just get a quick confirmation of which side of the engine's fuel rail is supply and which is return?
Which MY? My 2002 Boxster doesn't have a fuel return line. The fuel system is a "returnless" system.

Below is a link to a drawing of the fuel system lines in the engine compartment. Maybe the drawing and its parts list will be of some help...

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=107-05
Old 07-04-2017, 01:28 PM
neilll
Rennlist Member

What's confusing me is that number 8 in the link you sent is in some catalogs called a return line and sometimes called a supply line.

Logic tells me supply is on passenger side and return is under the regulator but a pretty good guide on swaps I found online is saying the opposite.

Thanks!
Old 07-04-2017, 02:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

What's confusing me is that number 8 in the link you sent is in some catalogs called a return line and sometimes called a supply line.

Logic tells me supply is on passenger side and return is under the regulator but a pretty good guide on swaps I found online is saying the opposite.

Thanks!
My general recommendation is if there is any question about a part # to visit a handy Porsche parts department and with your car's VIN have the current part # looked up.

While I often refer to the online parts catalogs when there is a question I rely only upon what the parts manager tells me. The catalogs he has are up to date.

After the parts manager has the proper page up he turns the computer screen my direction so I can see the parts drawing and the part and its location and then I can see the table with the part #.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:53 PM
neilll
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Im just trying to figure out which side is which for hooking a 3.2 into my 996. The 996 fuel fittings are different sizes so it's pretty clear which is supply and which is return. The 3.2 are the same and I don't have a Boxster in front of me.

On the 996 the regulator is after the injectors and before the return. Ats why I was thinking return would be under the regulator on the 2001.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:23 PM
Macster
Race Director

Thanks. Im just trying to figure out which side is which for hooking a 3.2 into my 996. The 996 fuel fittings are different sizes so it's pretty clear which is supply and which is return. The 3.2 are the same and I don't have a Boxster in front of me.

On the 996 the regulator is after the injectors and before the return. Ats why I was thinking return would be under the regulator on the 2001.
Wait. What? Hooking a 3.2 into your 996?

What engine/car are we talking about? I was looking at the first Boxsters: '97 through '04.

If you have a 996 then that's different.

Here's a link that shows the 996 engine's fuel rails and such... This might have a return type system.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=107-05

Quick Reply: Fuel supply and fuel return