Longer Upper AOS Hose

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 06:18 PM
RonJo Crisman
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longer Upper AOS Hose

Hi Everyone!

Long time lurker and occasional buyer but I haven't made a post yet! Here's hoping I can find some help as I'm doing something a bit unconventional but figured the DIY crowd here might have some ideas!

I have an '03 Boxster that I'm just finishing building a new air intake for! Used a 987 airbox, 997 plenum, and a larger TB, and a BMW 535i maf housing that was the right size. It would have been finished much faster but when I lowered the engine I found that I needed to do the motor mount... then I found a weeping transmission mount and proceeded to chase some other rubber bits under the car. Pulled the 986 plenum and there was enough oil I was fairly sure the AOS was on the way out.

I'd seen some good results from other threads by doing this and had a local with a similar setup that had some noticeable dyno gains!

Anyway, had it setup and completed, started the car and it acted like it had a vacuum leak. Removed the MAF for trouble shooting (reduces the number of places a leak would matter) and found that the AOS hose pulls slightly out of one or the other sides (AOS or plenum) and I'm guessing it's where my leak is coming from.

Anyone have a clever idea of a slightly longer/more flexible hose that would work and appears OEM? I'm not familiar with the fittings or what they're called so searching for something similar is a bit hard. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

The plenum inlet on the 997 is a bit lower than the 986 one so it's no longer a straight shot (has to angle up to reach the AOS) but the distance seems fairly close. Seems just too tight of a bend. I tried to head it a bit and bend it into a better position without luck.

Thanks Again For The Thoughts! I'll post pictures when complete if there's interest.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:15 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Just cut and sleeve it? The corrugations are a problem to seal. Use silicone sealant? Ugly but it would work.
There is flex corrugated stainless hose used for gas line at Home Depot.I have used it on other engines for EGR hacks. Worked perfectly.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:51 PM
RonJo Crisman
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would have been a good idea! I actually did it slightly differently. I ended up heating the plastic hose until I could slip it off the fittings. A local hose shop had some of this crazy press fit nylon (there was a special name for it) type hose that could be heated, pressed on, then heated again to fit any shape I wanted. They're guessing (and probably right) that the engine bay never approaches 400 degrees where you need to get it to make it take a new shape. So far, it's working great.

Pictures to come once I get the last few bits in order! Thanks for a good idea!

Quick Reply: Longer Upper AOS Hose