Sponsored by:

Transmission swap advice - Reputable shops near Santa Ana, California

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 08:26 PM
stuckinaction
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission swap advice - Reputable shops near Santa Ana, California

I have a 2003 Boxster S and the 2nd gear is done, grinds and pops out, previous owner drove it really hard.

I'm basically looking at either a transmission rebuild or swap to fix the problem.

I am located in Vancouver, Canada and a local shop quoted me almost $6000cad for a rebuild which is just too much.

I have found one on eBay for under $1500usd but it's located in Santa Ana California.

I'm thinking of driving down there, takes at most a day and half and having a local shop do a work/swap.

The seller said it is in working order but won't give me a warranty since I originally wanted it shipped to Canada.

I figure if I go down there and have a shop that's literary only a few miles away do the job then the seller will do a refund since I have addresses his "I don't know who's doing the job in Vancouver issue"

Yelp shows a few good reviews for a few shops

https://www.yelp.ca/search?find_desc...anta+Ana%2C+CA

Anyone in the Oranage Country area have any advice for me?

Great Appriciated, Thanks!
Old 06-16-2017, 09:40 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Search for forum member BYPRODRIVER . That is his neighborhood and he is one of the experts.He may have a suggestion for you.
Try the Sacramento area(Rancho Cordova) Craig's List or here:
https://bellingham.craigslist.org/ptd/6178223986.html
Old 06-17-2017, 11:11 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a list of PCA tech stations. They are all good shops
http://www.zone8.org/events/tech_stations.php
Old 06-17-2017, 06:23 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A real good Porsche independent not too far from Santa Ana is....

AASE in Fullerton. Ask for Jeff at 714.992.2283. They do air and water cooled. I go to them when I need expert service.

Tony

Originally Posted by stuckinaction
I have a 2003 Boxster S and the 2nd gear is done, grinds and pops out, previous owner drove it really hard.

I'm basically looking at either a transmission rebuild or swap to fix the problem.

I am located in Vancouver, Canada and a local shop quoted me almost $6000cad for a rebuild which is just too much.

I have found one on eBay for under $1500usd but it's located in Santa Ana California.

I'm thinking of driving down there, takes at most a day and half and having a local shop do a work/swap.

The seller said it is in working order but won't give me a warranty since I originally wanted it shipped to Canada.

I figure if I go down there and have a shop that's literary only a few miles away do the job then the seller will do a refund since I have addresses his "I don't know who's doing the job in Vancouver issue"

Yelp shows a few good reviews for a few shops

https://www.yelp.ca/search?find_desc...anta+Ana%2C+CA

Anyone in the Oranage Country area have any advice for me?

Great Appriciated, Thanks!
Old 06-17-2017, 10:32 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

If you want to speak privately message me the shop with the super high bid and I am suggest one or two others in your area.

Quick Reply: Transmission swap advice - Reputable shops near Santa Ana, California