Sponsored by:

Poor Man's porche?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 05:57 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by San Rensho
Come on guys. Don't you recognize sarcasm when you see it? The newbie op posts the classic "the boxster is the poor mans (sic)Porche" so i taunt him a little and tell him also a girl car. And if you dont believe me go on tbe 996 forum where they call the Box a girl car.

And I agree with you. The Boxster is great car. I've taken mine on the track several times and I ran circles around the 996s.
the boxy got its moniker [a chicks car]from a TV sitcom........the 996 are called the hairdressers car from the TV news
Old 06-08-2017, 06:42 PM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

With the suspension goodies we put on my sons Boxster it's almost as sweet as my GT3 on track- just missing 180hp
Old 06-08-2017, 07:47 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ tru dat......they do need much much more torque
Old 06-08-2017, 10:04 PM
paulofto
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

The Box is still more fun in the twisties and up & downs then any car I've driven. Back in my youth (the late '70's) I had a Fiat X 1/9. People back then said it wasn't a real sports car. Until they drove it and had more fun than you can imagine.

The Boxster may not have the power of the 911 but it is way more fun.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:50 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin Mickelson
Correction, it is a gray 2003 boxster that is at the actual porche dealership. That one in particular is what I'm looking at.

Question: does it really cost 5 grand to catch the IMS ahead of time and fix/replace the part? Since the car is automatic it doesn't need a clutch, so I can't fix them both at the same time. If it costs this much to fix an issue like that AHEAD of time, I'll walk away from this vehicle.

I love the car, but like you all are indicating maybe I don't fit into the economic class of person yet to be driving one. I can afford 1 to maybbbbe 2 grand worth of maintained average a year.

The porche dealership just told me now that I can take the car in for half the day and do a Pre-purchase inspection and I plan on sending it to a local shop here that specializes in porches.

They want about 10 grand for the 2003 Gray Boxster, and the other place (which is a honda dealer) wants 15 grand for the bright yellow 2004 Boxster S.

I am more interested in the gray one because of price even though I know the S is better on speed. Should I just save my money guys?
Hello Austin Mickelson,

..A 5'000.00 IMS !!!!!!
I did the IMS on mine, using the LN "Doubble Row Pro", for 2'700.
5k seems to be very high to me.

About About Porsche been expensive, ..I do have a different view:
First, you can buy any used cars and be ..very lucky, but you can also be very unlucky. This all depend of the car itself, and also the way it was operated and serviced before you got it.

OK, with a Porsche of these series (986, 996, and etc..) you have to deal with the Porsche M96 engine, that could be a tough animal, ..but it could be also a very nice one.

I had many 911 during 30 years, and now, beside a Panamera, I have an old (2001) Boxster S and love it big time. The 986 have in my opinion a much better handling than the 996 and I really prefer it, particularly on track use.

Also, to my view, in general, the highest cost of a car, ..is the depreciation, i.e.: you bought it at one price, and later, you sell sell it at another price.
In the case of a Porsche, I think this is a brand that gives you one of the best ratio of efficiency on the depreciation.

The only problem, is to buy one ..that is a good one and have been well maintained.

Do not buy one without having the PIWIS (Porsche computer reader) scanned, read the R1 and the R2. And for example, if you have R2's, keep your money and run as fast as you can !
You can also check the total engine hours, and check these against the odometer, to see what is the average mph. this should let you have a check about the potential truth of the odometer (i.e.: if less than 20mph average, I would raise doubts !)

Also do a "PPI" and have a good talk with the tech that did the inspection.
I.e.: ask him if he would buy it

I can add that these cars (i.e.: a 986) should give you SPM (smiles per mile) ratio, that should be also higher, ..than the "other cars" !

..my two "cents" !!
(and with all my deep respects for your work)
Old 06-15-2017, 07:37 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

^^ Funny, I just checked my engine hours for the first time today. I'm at 1768 hours and 51,500 miles (29mph)

Last edited by Mike Murphy; 06-23-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:31 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

If $1-2k per year for maintenance is concerning, you might be happier with another car. They are great to drive but you do have to spend money to keep them great to drive.

If you DIY instead of paying a shop for everything, you won't have to spend nearly as much over the long term. You pay by the hour when you have a shop do work for you, and the easy regular jobs add up quick so if you start with simple stuff like oil, fluid, and brake changes you'll get a lot of labor cost savings without needing to learn a great deal. Just get a service manual, google and youtube the processes for extra confidence, and then follow the manual to do the service. Your costs for most issues are now reduced to fluids, parts, and a few new tools now and then.

I think the $5k figure was for an IMS and full clutch job; I'd expect an IMS only change to cost something more like half of that.

If you want a fun ragtop and maintenance costs are an issue you might check out Honda S2000s. I had one years back and loved it. Great cars, a lot of fun to drive, great motor, great shifter, reliable, and you can find them fully depreciated so you get your money back when you sell it.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:47 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
If $1-2k per year for maintenance is concerning, you might be happier with another car. They are great to drive but you do have to spend money to keep them great to drive.

If you DIY instead of paying a shop for everything, you won't have to spend nearly as much over the long term. You pay by the hour when you have a shop do work for you, and the easy regular jobs add up quick so if you start with simple stuff like oil, fluid, and brake changes you'll get a lot of labor cost savings without needing to learn a great deal. Just get a service manual, google and youtube the processes for extra confidence, and then follow the manual to do the service. Your costs for most issues are now reduced to fluids, parts, and a few new tools now and then.

I'm a DIY type guy, I maintain my Porsche myself... I don't really follow the maintenance schedule on my vehicle anymore as it's 16yrs old now, and it's on the road about 7-8months /yr

I have a 2001 Boxster S that I bought in June 2009. My maintenance records were good when I first got it, but not as good now.

In 8 yrs of ownership and about 40,000 miles, (going by memory here)
- 2 pairs of rear tires, fronts still have good tread left, but will be replaced in the next 6 months when I need to put my 3rd set of rears on.
1 alignment
1 AOS
1 MAF
- dissasembled and regreased sticky bendix gear on starter
1 Pedro Motor mount
1 HVAC screen from Ebay
fixed microswitch on passenger door (? loose connection)
CV boots on both axles
forward control arms on the rear suspension
- oil and filters...
1 air filter
- one battery
-spark plug tubes, and spark plugs
- couple of light bulbs
- one or 2 brake flushes

I think I've had maybe $1000-$1500 (CDN) in parts, and maybe $1200 in rear tires so far, this is into 8 yrs of enjoyment. I have a spare motor mount sitting on the shelf in the garage, and a serpentine belt waiting to be changed. I've been lucky so far - no wheel bearings or brake work needed.

For tools I bought a Motive brake bleeder (not needed, but nice, and it fits my VW and Audi DD) - maybe $150 IIRC, I also bought a maxjax lift in 2011 from Costco Canada for ($2300 delivered, taxes in) and about $400 of concrete.

I will need to replace the top soon as the rear window has 2 small cracks in it (budget $1500CDN) and will address the IMS bearing sometime ($1500 in parts?)

So including parts, tools (lift included, although jackstands are perfectly doable), and tires... lets say $5500cdn in 8 yrs. US online prices seem to be cheaper for the most part, so I would guess maybe $4000USD if you can find an online US retailer (suncoast, pelican etc). We get dinged on duty and shipping if ordering from the US....

I've owned a Boxster S for about $700/yr maintenance, free labour, and I learned a bunch.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:45 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

^^ It's the labor that allowed you to save about 1/2 there. You could easily double that 5500 CDN if you paid someone else to do it.

I agree, though, these cars are surprisingly easy to work on. I replaced both horns and cleaned out my radiators last week by taking the front bumper and wheel well liners off. These cars are works of art, the way they are engineered and assembled. They can be fun to work on.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:26 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

I was a nuke in the Navy a while back. When I was young I considered stretching my finances to buy a Ferrari 308/328 or a Porsche 911SC. I didn't do either and I regret not getting both today. Get the Porsche and a $3000 Toyota or Honda to drive back and forth to work and enjoy yourself.

Quick Reply: Poor Man's porche?