Sponsored by:

2000 Boxster Top replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 06:12 PM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts
Default 2000 Boxster Top replacement

So I'm thinking of trying to replace my convertible top with a new top with the glass in stead of the plastic window. watched all the U tube video but still on the fence about my ability to get it done right. Is it a doable project?
Old 05-31-2017, 08:23 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyhawk172
So I'm thinking of trying to replace my convertible top with a new top with the glass in stead of the plastic window. watched all the U tube video but still on the fence about my ability to get it done right. Is it a doable project?
A number of owners have done this. You must be comfortable with your skill level to do this without screwing up. Damage the new top or the top hardware and it will cost you.

My vague recollection is you want to find write ups on this top replacement by Mike Focke and Wayne Dempsey.

(Mike posts here once in a while and hopefully if he sees this can chime in. I have no idea who the other guy is.)

In the meantime you can search for videos: "boxster gahh top install videos".

When it came time to replace the top on my 2002 Boxster I had a top (as in a highly recommended) upholstery/top shop replace the top on my 2002 Boxster. The labor cost wasn't that high. I think the total cost came to around $1400 which included the top.

(IIRC I chose the "A5" option and "metropole blue" with of course the plastic window (clear).)

You are aware that putting a glass window top on a car that originally came with a plastic window top means the glass window is smaller than the plastic window and interferes with access to the engine in "service position".

This is why I elected to stay with the plastic window with the new top.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:27 PM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Macster

Thanks I did not realize it would interfere with the service of the engine, my top is in good shape it is just that the plastic window cracked and I have a quote for about 900.00 to replace the window with most of the cost as the R and R of existing Top.

Last edited by Skyhawk172; 05-31-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:59 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Take a look at the link below. It's a DIY tech article from our site on the process. If you have any additional questions, post a Comment just below the article and we'll get back to you with more details. Best of luck!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...Top_Repair.htm
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-31-2017, 11:08 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

It is a dead link.On Firefox nothing on Pelican has opened for several days.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:16 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

It's working fine in Chrome.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:31 AM
Macster
Race Director

Macster

Thanks I did not realize it would interfere with the service of the engine, my top is in good shape it is just that the plastic window cracked and I have a quote for about 900.00 to replace the window with most of the cost as the R and R of existing Top.
The original plastic window in my Boxster's top cracked and I had a new one installed. Didn't cost $900 though. IIRC it cost around $600 but this was in Pleasanton CA and probably 7+ years ago. I don't know if the top had to be removed to remove the old window and install/sew in the new one.

A head's up regarding the new window. In the case of my car the old window was cut out leaving the border -- the portion that was attached to the canvas by stitching -- in the canvas. The new top was put into place and a 2nd line of stitching was done. This left a bit of a raised outline around the window but it was not unsightly. My concern this technique would result in a leaking window/top proved to be unfounded. The top shop told me the top/window would be water tight and this proved to be the case.

Another shop I talked to told me the window can be replaced without having to leave any portion of the old window in place. Maybe this is what the $900 quote is for?
Old 06-01-2017, 12:30 PM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Before I let them replace my top I will make sure they unstitch the original window then restitch in the original place. This shop is the shop the Porsche dealer uses to do any of their tops that need replaced or fixed. I still wonder if I take the top off and replace after the window is sewn in I'm trying to do more DIY since the car is really not worth much anymore don't want to throw good money after bad.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Before I let them replace my top I will make sure they unstitch the original window then restitch in the original place. This shop is the shop the Porsche dealer uses to do any of their tops that need replaced or fixed. I still wonder if I take the top off and replace after the window is sewn in I'm trying to do more DIY since the car is really not worth much anymore don't want to throw good money after bad.
The car may not be worth a lot of money but it would take a lot of money to replace it.

Every time my 2002 Boxster (currently with over 310K miles) needs something, other than a regular service, something like (a few years ago) a new top or more recently a new (well, used) instrument cluster, I question the expense given the Boxster is not worth very much at least in cash.

But the car still runs good, drives good, all the systems work, and is just a nice car to use for the bulk of my 300 miles per week commuting and errand running. More miles won't depreciate the car that much more so what the heck.

Also, I ask myself what I would replace the Boxster with? (I am loathe to make my 996 Turbo my daily driver and my only car.)

While I do not want another Boxster I wouldn't mind another Cayman. A nice used Cayman (S or base) would cost me quite a bit and there is the question of the car's condition now and into the probably distant future. (I tend to hold on to my cars a while and rack up some rather big miles though I've cut back on my driving quite a bit the last few years just pretty much my work commute and some around town miles. No long road trips anymore, though this might change when I retire.)

Even if I decide against a Cayman what are my choices? A comparable car from BMW or M-B or perhaps a new Mini Cooper S is quite a bit of money.

So I just drive the Boxster to the dealer and get what needs to be done done to the car and then afterwards file the credit card receipt and resume enjoying the car.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:36 PM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

The car may not be worth a lot of money but it would take a lot of money to replace it.

Every time my 2002 Boxster (currently with over 310K miles) needs something, other than a regular service, something like (a few years ago) a new top or more recently a new (well, used) instrument cluster, I question the expense given the Boxster is not worth very much at least in cash.

But the car still runs good, drives good, all the systems work, and is just a nice car to use for the bulk of my 300 miles per week commuting and errand running. More miles won't depreciate the car that much more so what the heck.

Also, I ask myself what I would replace the Boxster with? (I am loathe to make my 996 Turbo my daily driver and my only car.)

While I do not want another Boxster I wouldn't mind another Cayman. A nice used Cayman (S or base) would cost me quite a bit and there is the question of the car's condition now and into the probably distant future. (I tend to hold on to my cars a while and rack up some rather big miles though I've cut back on my driving quite a bit the last few years just pretty much my work commute and some around town miles. No long road trips anymore, though this might change when I retire.)

Even if I decide against a Cayman what are my choices? A comparable car from BMW or M-B or perhaps a new Mini Cooper S is quite a bit of money.

So I just drive the Boxster to the dealer and get what needs to be done done to the car and then afterwards file the credit card receipt and resume enjoying the car.
I see your reasoning I have abundance of cars to drive My work truck during the week and my Cayenne on weekends and I do hold on to my car to salvage status where my boxster is now, I keep looking at a Turbo 997.1 cabriolet came very close last month. So I look at the expense as eating into my down payment for the Turbo. But I also do not like driving a car with squawks needing to be fixed. 900.00 dollars is not that much for the enjoyment I get but I also need some upholster done on the passenger left seat insert that is another 500.00. and to add insult to injury my wife does not like to drive the car because it has no cup holders so she thinks it's a wasted cause.

Last edited by Skyhawk172; 06-01-2017 at 04:51 PM. Reason: just figuring out to use the qoute from another post
Old 06-01-2017, 06:07 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

There are a whole bunch of articles on top repair and replacement by Maurice here.

For the ease of use in every day driving, no chop and no worry about the plastic window cracking, I'd do the 2003-2004 frame and top replacement as the first option, the GAAF glass window top as the second option. I got tired of worrying about the plastic window and it was starting to crack as I sold the car. Probably contributed to my motivation to sell. Just too much hassle.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

I see your reasoning I have abundance of cars to drive My work truck during the week and my Cayenne on weekends and I do hold on to my car to salvage status where my boxster is now, I keep looking at a Turbo 997.1 cabriolet came very close last month. So I look at the expense as eating into my down payment for the Turbo. But I also do not like driving a car with squawks needing to be fixed. 900.00 dollars is not that much for the enjoyment I get but I also need some upholster done on the passenger left seat insert that is another 500.00. and to add insult to injury my wife does not like to drive the car because it has no cup holders so she thinks it's a wasted cause.
Ok. The car is of little value to you regardless. Time to move on I guess.

Not sure what you mean by "salvage status".

The car still runs and drives ok, does it not? The rear window and seat are not biggies. Thus the car has to be worth something even if it is only its trade-in/wholesale value.

'course, you can let the car go for whatever you want.

FWIW, both my Boxster and Turbo have cup holders and I never use them.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:06 AM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Macster

I think I have giving off the wrong impression I cherish my car and want keep it in tip top shape.

Salvage is trade in value to me

Yes the car drive great and just put 4 new tires, had a Kenwood receiver put in, double din apple car play.

If it was up to me I would keep it forever but alas only have a 3 car garage, I don't think I will be buying a Turbo soon so I will get all my issue looked at and continue to drive her.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:50 AM
Macster
Race Director

Macster

I think I have giving off the wrong impression I cherish my car and want keep it in tip top shape.

Salvage is trade in value to me

Yes the car drive great and just put 4 new tires, had a Kenwood receiver put in, double din apple car play.

If it was up to me I would keep it forever but alas only have a 3 car garage, I don't think I will be buying a Turbo soon so I will get all my issue looked at and continue to drive her.
Or I misread/misinterpreted your post.

So then let me return to your initial question.

As mikefocke offered there are a number of videos available of Boxster top removal/installation.

And there are 2 ways to approach fitting a top with a glass window vs. plastic window. The 1st is to use a top with a glass window that fits the existing top hardware/frame. This brings with it some compromises. The glass rear window is smaller, not optimally located, and makes gaining access to the engine compartment more difficult.

The 2nd is to use the top hardware from a car that originally came with a glass window. Porsche switched to a glass rear window in 2003 MY.

If you go this route the car's silhouette changes a bit but maybe for the better? The glass window is of a pretty good size and its location better and I have not heard of any real issues regarding gaining access to the engine compartment.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:07 PM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Or I misread/misinterpreted your post.

So then let me return to your initial question.

As mikefocke offered there are a number of videos available of Boxster top removal/installation.

And there are 2 ways to approach fitting a top with a glass window vs. plastic window. The 1st is to use a top with a glass window that fits the existing top hardware/frame. This brings with it some compromises. The glass rear window is smaller, not optimally located, and makes gaining access to the engine compartment more difficult.

The 2nd is to use the top hardware from a car that originally came with a glass window. Porsche switched to a glass rear window in 2003 MY.

If you go this route the car's silhouette changes a bit but maybe for the better? The glass window is of a pretty good size and its location better and I have not heard of any real issues regarding gaining access to the engine compartment
Thanks for the thoughtful posts, after reading your post I tend to agree that the plastic window is the route for me to go in, the last window lasted for 13 years and to let a professional do the job.

Quick Reply: 2000 Boxster Top replacement