Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value of a high-mileage 2001 S roller?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 02:27 PM
alphanumeric
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value of a high-mileage 2001 S roller?

Looking at a 2001 Boxster S with ~180K+ miles, showing oil in the coolant. I guess there are some potential benign explanations (gaskets near oil cooler deteriorate, etc.) but certainly possibly is a cracked head. It's parked now at the shop, not driven, but hadn't been overheating. General maintenance was done on time by a well-known shop over the past 5 years/50K at least.

Anyway, I'm looking at it as a potential win if it's reasonable to solve it and a draw-even if not by parting it out. Rims are nice, seats not so nice, 3-spoke steering wheel could use a covering, etc. AC and electronics work, IMS was done, tires in decent shape... I have a garage with plenty of space to hold it while I wrench or tear it apart...

So what do you think? What would you give for it?
Old 05-05-2017, 04:10 PM
sequel95
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd offer 2500 and go from there. I would not think it is worth much more than 3500. You could do the math by estimating the value of the car running (maybe 7500) then subtract a used motor installed (5000-8000). Actually this seems to be a money pit. I'd steer clear and if you must wrench on an M96 engine, look for a nicer 996 with a bad engine. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 05-05-2017, 04:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by alphanumeric
Looking at a 2001 Boxster S with ~180K+ miles, showing oil in the coolant. I guess there are some potential benign explanations (gaskets near oil cooler deteriorate, etc.) but certainly possibly is a cracked head. It's parked now at the shop, not driven, but hadn't been overheating. General maintenance was done on time by a well-known shop over the past 5 years/50K at least.

Anyway, I'm looking at it as a potential win if it's reasonable to solve it and a draw-even if not by parting it out. Rims are nice, seats not so nice, 3-spoke steering wheel could use a covering, etc. AC and electronics work, IMS was done, tires in decent shape... I have a garage with plenty of space to hold it while I wrench or tear it apart...

So what do you think? What would you give for it?
Nothing.

In fact I wouldn't have the car as a gift.

With the sick engine, intermix problem, essentially the car is a "roller". A few years ago these were in the $3K range. Not sure the price range now.

But unless you are in the auto parts salvage business selling parts off a Boxster is a lousy way to spend your time, any time. Who wants strangers over in the garage picking over the ever deteriorating carcass of a Boxster?

As for fixing the car up, the longer the car sits with the intermix the worse for the engine. The oil really doesn't help any of the seals/hoses in the cooling system.

You have to find and fix the source of the intermix -- probably a cracked head but a bad oil/water heat exchanger is also a possibility -- then you have to go through the cooling system. Ideally every hose should be replaced -- but not until *after* you have thoroughly flushed every bit of oil from the cooling system. The water pump/T-stat should be replaced, too.

Hopefully there is no coolant in the oil. The anti-freeze has a bad tendency to cause the cylinder walls to form a glaze which can affect ring sealing.

Another risk from coolant in the oil is rust spots develop on the valve springs, or really any ferrous engine part. A rust spot is a potential fracture point so some time later a valve spring can break, a chain link side plate can fail, or something can let go and the engine's pretty much good for scrap metal salvage at this point.

Yes, you can just fix the intermix, make a half-hearted attempt at flushing the system then fill with some kind of coolant and call it "good enough" and things might be ok at least for a while. But it is not an engine I would want to count on having a reasonably trouble free long term relationship with and certainly not an engine I would want to inflict on anyone else by selling the car.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:08 PM
alphanumeric
Cruisin'

Man, you guys are always so good at bringing me back to earth. :-D

I'm not an HP junkie, so I'd probably be happier with an already sorted non-S Boxster with 100K less miles that I can drive day one. These are already affordable, so what am I doing? I'll find one soon enough...
Old 05-05-2017, 06:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by alphanumeric
Man, you guys are always so good at bringing me back to earth. :-D

I'm not an HP junkie, so I'd probably be happier with an already sorted non-S Boxster with 100K less miles that I can drive day one. These are already affordable, so what am I doing? I'll find one soon enough...
For 99.999% of us buying a running example with no serious issues is the best.

Some times a car is just simply at the end of its life and can only be of some limited value giving up its parts to keep other (more fortunate?) cars on the road longer.

I think the car you are talking about is such a car. It dies piece by piece so other cars might live. But it dies piece by piece at some other person's garage, shop, or salvage yard.

Keep looking. If you were meant to have a Boxster there's one out there for you.

Remember: Next to owning/driving a Porsche the next best thing is searching for the 1st or next one you will buy. Enjoy the experience.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:57 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's what I would do, but I'm silly.

Pay $1500. Gut the hell out of it, selling off every single piece of interior and exterior not necessary for forward propulsion.

Do a v8 conversion with the smallest, cheapest motor I could get. Forget any electrical connections, speedo, odometer, etc. rip all that crap out.

Make the simplest track car possible. Nothing needs to work but the motor and brakes, and throw in a Rollcage.

You would have a really neat hpde car, cheap. After you sold off some major parts, such as seats, motor, interior, convertible top, etc... You would be into the car for a couple grand and your labor...
Old 05-05-2017, 08:23 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by bpu699
Here's what I would do, but I'm silly.

Pay $1500. Gut the hell out of it, selling off every single piece of interior and exterior not necessary for forward propulsion.

Do a v8 conversion with the smallest, cheapest motor I could get. Forget any electrical connections, speedo, odometer, etc. rip all that crap out.

Make the simplest track car possible. Nothing needs to work but the motor and brakes, and throw in a Rollcage.

You would have a really neat hpde car, cheap. After you sold off some major parts, such as seats, motor, interior, convertible top, etc... You would be into the car for a couple grand and your labor...
Ok then. PM alphanumeric for the car's location/contact info and make an offer. You might get the car for $1500. Keep us updated on your conversion process.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:24 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Ok then. PM alphanumeric for the car's location/contact info and make an offer. You might get the car for $1500. Keep us updated on your conversion process.
If I were looking for a project, then I would...

Have to finish the projects I have, sigh.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:55 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

Here...I will ground you real fast. I bought a nice 986 for $2500 with a blown engine (IMS failure). I bought a used engine on CL that ended up being bad as well. At that point it becomes a slippery slope Finally, I just went with a new remanufactured engine and my total cost is over $20k...don't do it! Unless as stated by other you want to part it out or convert to an electric. For what it is worth....I love the car now and I try not to think about the fact that I spent over 2X what it is worth. Also, I now have pretty much a new car.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:13 PM
gyuill
Intermediate

I've done a few of these. If you are looking to make a profit - forget it. Break even for me with parts and time is $1000. If you pay more than that its officially a hobby and you will be better off financially buying a solid running car.

By all means go for it if you are looking for a fun father/son project or really want to get to know the Boxster inside out, but not as a profitable endeavor.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:14 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Alpha,
If you are looking for a convertible to tinker with and not get burned, I recommend a Honda S2000 .Cheaper and very difficult to sell are the Pontiac/Saturn Soltice GXP and Sky Redline. YEMV

Quick Reply: Value of a high-mileage 2001 S roller?