Sponsored by:

Alarm / locking issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 04:01 PM
Frankly
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm / locking issue

-01 986, when locking doors car beebs twice, and locks goes lock and unlock. When pressing twice lock button from remote, it beeps once and doors goes locked. It does almost always, but sometimes it works fullu normally..

Both doors goes lock normally, and interior lights are working correctly. Fuel cap lock works normally too.

Fault code is 59, "Central locking limit position Secure not reached"

I've noticed sometimes red light on dash board locking butten stays on when driving.. usually when sun shines(??)

How i can fix this?
Old 05-03-2017, 04:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankly
-01 986, when locking doors car beebs twice, and locks goes lock and unlock. When pressing twice lock button from remote, it beeps once and doors goes locked. It does almost always, but sometimes it works fullu normally..

Both doors goes lock normally, and interior lights are working correctly. Fuel cap lock works normally too.

Fault code is 59, "Central locking limit position Secure not reached"

I've noticed sometimes red light on dash board locking butten stays on when driving.. usually when sun shines(??)

How i can fix this?
There's this:

Fault code 59 -- Central locking limit position . safe not reached

Possible cause of fault

- Short circuit to ground/open circuit in wiring between the alarm system control module and both door locks

- Door lock faulty

- Control module faulty

1. Check fuse C3

2. Check door wiring (for chaffing or shorts)

3. Replace door lock

I always like to remind Boxster (and other Porsche owners) about water in the cabin.

Be sure there is no water in the cabin under the seats. The alarm control module is located on the cabin floor -- in USA cars under the passenger seat -- and unfortunately at the lowest spot and any water in the cabin will end up there.

Check the body water drains. There are some located on either side of the battery box under the front trunk lid. You'll need a set of security Torx bits and a handle to remove the Torx screw that holds each panel in place.

Be gentle cleaning out the drain basin. They are styrofoam and delicate and you don't want to break one.

To get to the rear water drains you have to open the top put it in the "service position" which has the clam shell open as far as it can open. There is a water basin/drain on either side of the rear portion of the top under where the clam shell arm is.

Check the door bottoms for any signs of moisture. If you find any likely a door membrane has failed and is allowing water (rain or wash) into the dry side of the door from the wet side. Water on the dry side of the door can play havoc with the car's security system. Initially the gremlins are mostly confined to the door (or doors), door lock (or locks) and window (or windows) but if left unaddressed the gremlins can appear at other places.

The only security system problem I had with the symptoms: once in a while the horn sounding when I locked the car like something was ajar (though nothing ever was ajar); the door lock button LED being lit even though I didn't push it to lock the doors and when I pushed it to unlock the doors sometimes after a moment or two coming back on and along with the sounds of the doors locking; the passenger side window failing to drop when the door was open or worse dropping when the door was open but then going up after the door was open; all were due to a bad door lock controller in the passenger door. There was no water anywhere.

(The water came later. I regularly check for dampness and found some along the bottom of the passenger door. Had the car in and the tech tried a reseal but this didn't last so I just had the membrane replaced. (After 15+ years they just age and start to fall apart.) Then dampness appeared at the bottom of the driver's door and rather than fooling around with the old membrane I had that membrane replaced as well. No more dampness and it was a very wet winter and the car sits out in the open year 'round.)

Quick Reply: Alarm / locking issue