Sponsored by:

Airbag light and codes 29 and 45

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 11:23 AM
michmcc313
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag light and codes 29 and 45

Working on a 97 Boxster for a guy and can't seem to pin down the cause of these two codes in the durametric software. In looking around the common issue I found was the seat belt buckle which would make sense since the code 45 is the drivers seat buckle. code 29 however says ignition circuit-side airbag, driver. I bought a new buckle and changed it out but the codes still wont clear. Could it be the computer under the seat that has gone bad? I also checked the airbag control module under the radio for any signs of circuit damage and there was none to be found and no damage to the wires or plug for the airbag itself. Any suggestions of where to go next?
Old 04-24-2017, 12:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by michmcc313
Working on a 97 Boxster for a guy and can't seem to pin down the cause of these two codes in the durametric software. In looking around the common issue I found was the seat belt buckle which would make sense since the code 45 is the drivers seat buckle. code 29 however says ignition circuit-side airbag, driver. I bought a new buckle and changed it out but the codes still wont clear. Could it be the computer under the seat that has gone bad? I also checked the airbag control module under the radio for any signs of circuit damage and there was none to be found and no damage to the wires or plug for the airbag itself. Any suggestions of where to go next?
Is the driver side door bottom damp? Water in the door can cause problems.

About all I can suggest you try is turn off the ignition, remove the key, then disconnect the battery and wait at least 5 minutes then remove the door panel and *carefully* check the airbag wiring/connections for damaged wiring or a bad connection. You might try disconnecting the airbag from the wiring harness then reconnecting it.

Be very careful around the airbag. Just a static discharge could deploy it.

Before you put the panel back on the door you can reconnect the battery and then clear the code and see if the code comes back.

If it doesn't come back then turn off the ignition remove the key disconnect the battery and wait then put the door panel back on and confirm the airbag light remains off.

If it comes back at any time that could be an airbag controller problem.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:00 PM
ECU Doctors
Former Vendor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Could it be the computer under the seat that has gone bad?
The chance of this is small "IF" the car is not showing any other issues related to the Immobilizer / Central Locking Unit.

If you are curious these units are very easy to open and visually check for water damage.

Try it.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:10 PM
michmcc313
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No moisture in the car. Its climate controlled and has less than 25k on it. Already checked the airbag twice. Unplugged twice. I did open up the controller and didnt see any obvious signs of damage. No blown capacitors or burnt traces. Is it possible for wires to break in the door jam?
Old 04-25-2017, 11:43 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

No moisture in the car. Its climate controlled and has less than 25k on it. Already checked the airbag twice. Unplugged twice. I did open up the controller and didnt see any obvious signs of damage. No blown capacitors or burnt traces. Is it possible for wires to break in the door jam?
It is possible.

Or wiring in the door itself.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:09 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

For some of these codes to be cleared by Durametric ,another member claimed the buckle had to be fastened during the reset procedure.

Quick Reply: Airbag light and codes 29 and 45