Sponsored by:

Boxster shifter slow to self center

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 09:17 PM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Boxster shifter slow to self center

Hello all! I am new to Boxster ownership. Just bought a 2004 986 Boxster S built to PCA F class specs.

I installed a short throw shifter today and noticed the return to center was really sluggish. When making a quick 2-3 shift, the shifter would bind unless I pause for a moment going thorough neutral. Not great for track driving.

I already tried disconnecting the shifter cable at the transmission and the lever on the trans is sluggish to return to center when moved manually too. The cables and shifter are not the cause. They move freely when disconnected at the transmision. It the transmission itself which seems to have a "weak spring".

I replaced the factory shifter and the issue remains but is less noticeable. I'm sure it was there before I installed the short shifter but I didn't notice it.

Can someone tell me if I'm crazy or is my return to neutral position sluggish? See video at this link.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6...FdROUZmLV9yeUk

Anyone have a fix for this??
Old 04-24-2017, 11:00 AM
Anker
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine returns without any delay.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:06 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

In desperation - PB Blaster where the linkage enters the gearbox case?
Old 04-24-2017, 01:46 PM
Anker
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If this happened all of a sudden after you installed a short shifter I suspect it ins't anything internal to the gearbox, but rather something you did when replacing the shifter. I would start checking that the cables run freely by releasing them from the gearbox levers.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:14 PM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Anker
If this happened all of a sudden after you installed a short shifter I suspect it ins't anything internal to the gearbox, but rather something you did when replacing the shifter. I would start checking that the cables run freely by releasing them from the gearbox levers.
please re read my first post. I already did this. It is weak at the transmission. Shifter and cables are fine. Only noticed it because it is more noticeable with the higher effort shirt throw shifter. I changed back to the stock shifter before doing the video.

Anyone familiar with the internals of the transmission to fix this issue?
Old 04-24-2017, 05:13 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The shifter rod on the side of the 6 speed gearbox casing runs in a bronze or brass bushing. Usually it weeps oil slightly. That is why I suggested PB Blaster. If it still not working correctly after manually operating the rod with the cables off, it must be shifter forks?
If that is the probability, the next step is a 'while you are in there' list . At least the gearbox removal is easier on a Boxster than a 996.
Suggest you look at The California Motor Sports website. There are very few authoritative Threads on rebuilding the 6 speed.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:30 PM
renncayman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It happens exactly the same to me, that sluggish feeling is horrible!
Old 04-29-2017, 11:47 PM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

My mechanic did the PB blaster/ lubed around the linkage. Cold it didn't seem any better. But today at limerock, once the car came up to temp, shifter started to spring back as it should. Will report back after car cools to see if "the fix" lasts.

Quick Reply: Boxster shifter slow to self center