Sponsored by:

Early Boxster or Audi TT for everyday driver

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 06:40 PM
KEVIN ANDERSON
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Early Boxster or Audi TT for everyday driver

I took out a 10k loan from USAA to replace my 1998 BMW 528i as an everyday driver. I do own a 944 Turbo that is off the road for upgrades. Just wanted people's opinions. I am leaning toward the TT because it's all wheel drive, a hardtop, and it's a turbo. I can get pretty nice examples of both cars for $9500. Now the board is open
Old 04-10-2017, 07:40 PM
algiorda
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you driven either one? I considered the TT, Z4, Boxster when I was looking. I drove each and by far the biggest grin factor with the top down was with the Boxster. It is an amazing vehicle no matter what year you get. I went for a 2004 S Anniversary edition. I has about 6hp more than a normal S model. ;-)
Old 04-10-2017, 08:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by KEVIN ANDERSON
I took out a 10k loan from USAA to replace my 1998 BMW 528i as an everyday driver. I do own a 944 Turbo that is off the road for upgrades. Just wanted people's opinions. I am leaning toward the TT because it's all wheel drive, a hardtop, and it's a turbo. I can get pretty nice examples of both cars for $9500. Now the board is open
You need to drive examples of both. They are two quite different cars. The Boxster is a roadster, with that configuration in mind from the outset.

The Boxster is mid-engined and one just can't get a better engine layout for handling.

The Audi is a front engine basically front wheel drive coupe. The handling/road dynamics between the two cars are going to be night and day.

Before I bought my 2002 Boxster I researched the Audi TT and it just didn't have any attraction for me. I know it is a worn out and not really accurate cliche but to me the Audi TT was just a more expensive VW in better looking sheet metal with better interior. Certainly this has an attraction for some but I was looking for something a bit more exotic. Ferrari were out of the question and the Toyota MR2 and what was the Pontiac mid-engine car model? just didn't have the features. MR2 cargo space was a joke. A pair of gloves (driving gloves) and cargo space was used up. The Pontiac required the engine be removed for some services. I don't think the reliability was all that good either. Certainly neither car could hold a candle the Boxster's performance.

The Audi TT engine is turbo-charged because it is small. IIRC 1.8l. The AWD is ok but the Boxster will do a good job too in bad traction conditions (snow) as long as you fit real snow tires on the Boxster for winter driving. (The Audi really requires snow tires too.) In snowy/marginal traction conditions it ain't the going that's a problem it is the turning and stopping. In this regard AWD and RWD are the same. All have just 4 tires.

But different strokes for different folks. Test drive both examples and make your mind.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:24 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

FWIW, if you ask a Boxster forum you're going to get a certain answer!

Not all Mk1 TTs are turbo. The S-line uses the 3.2 VR6 mated to DSG.

TT "225" featured a K04 (replacing K03) to bump the power to..... wait for it..... 225 hp. I think this is only the 04/05 models?

After first year, all TTs were recalled for 'exuberant' handling. Recall included a spoiler, different control arms, and electronic stability control. A small amount of TTs are 'unrecalled.'

Oh, and many TTs are FWD. So if you're looking for a quattro, make sure it is one. Grill badges are easily added: the dash plaque is generally a good indicator. However only crawling under the car can be conclusive.

Originally Posted by Macster
In snowy/marginal traction conditions it ain't the going that's a problem it is the turning and stopping. In this regard AWD and RWD are the same. All have just 4 tires.
Respectfully, I disagree.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 04-10-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:55 PM
KEVIN ANDERSON
Racer

OK Thanks everybody. I drove a 2006 1.8 liter turbo TT with aftermarket exhaust and I really loved it. It's got a decent size trunk and 944 type backseats that you can throw stuff in. I haven't driven a Boxster, only rode as a passenger in a 1999 or 2000 model. At the time my everyday car was a 1983 944. So the Boxster felt fast as hell. I'll have to find a Boxster for sale in my area of Jersey and take it for a ride. I was concerned about the convertible top in the winter being colder than a hardtop or the noise level with the top up. Thank you all for the help. Kevin Anderson
Old 04-10-2017, 09:07 PM
Anker
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The recall of the TT was caused by lift of the rear end at high speed causing reduced traction of the rear wheels. A deadly problem if you go fast into a sweeping turn. Shows that the TT wasn't designed and tested properly for handling around a course at high speed. Wouldn't touch a TT with a barn pole.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

OK Thanks everybody. I drove a 2006 1.8 liter turbo TT with aftermarket exhaust and I really loved it. It's got a decent size trunk and 944 type backseats that you can throw stuff in. I haven't driven a Boxster, only rode as a passenger in a 1999 or 2000 model. At the time my everyday car was a 1983 944. So the Boxster felt fast as hell. I'll have to find a Boxster for sale in my area of Jersey and take it for a ride. I was concerned about the convertible top in the winter being colder than a hardtop or the noise level with the top up. Thank you all for the help. Kevin Anderson
Bought my 2002 Jan. 2002 with inches of snow on the ground. The cabin is small and the heater large and the cabin gets warm quick. My Boxster came with auto climate control which is a very nice system. With say the temperature setting at 72F when one starts the car cold the fan speed is subdued so one doesn't get blasted with frigid air. As the engine warms up the fan speeds up and with the automatic vent controls the system works to bring the cabin to 72F very quickly.

With the center dash vents aimed up this worked to warm the rear window -- plastic -- and the rear window would clear pretty quickly.

'course, if you need defrost right now the defrost button raises the fan speed to max and turns on the A/C (the snowflake symbol lights up) and the vents are set to direct most of the cabin vent fan air to the base of the windshield.

The only "problem" I had was once in a while the side windows would freeze and fail to drop when the door was opened. This was not a real problem when opening the door but was when one went to close the door.

What I found worked was to if the window failed to drop to go ahead and get inside the car and with the key on push the lower button while wiggling the glass gently. The window would become unstuck and drop. From then on no problem. Oh, check that. If I drove to short a time and some snow/ice was on the top the heat would melt this and water would run down and then the side windows could freeze again. But this happened just maybe 2 times.

My Boxster with the top up is quieter than my Turbo (coupe). The Boxster is rather softly sprung -- but not that softly sprung it is still a superb canyon carver -- and the car's ride is less harsh and quieter because of it.

Kind of funny: Some few years ago not far from where I live I spotted a guy with a 944 stopped on the side of the road in a particularly bad spot. I stopped to help. He had just bought the car at an auction and was on his way home, Oregon believe it or not. He had flown down to buy the car and of course the engine died.

I offered to run him around town to pick up what parts he thought he needed to get the car running again. I was not showing off by any stretch of the imagination but he noticed how well the Boxster -- 2.7l 5-speed -- ran and he said the Boxster was way faster than his newly purchased 944.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:10 AM
KEVIN ANDERSON
Racer

Cool. Is there a big difference between the 2.5 and 2.7 liter engines?
Old 04-11-2017, 11:07 AM
Macster
Race Director

Cool. Is there a big difference between the 2.5 and 2.7 liter engines?
Yes. Besides the obvious difference in size the two differ in torque. The 2.5l has less of it -- to state the obvious -- and this is dealt with to some extent by some changes to the transmission gear ratios and the final drive ratio.

2.5l 4th gear is 1.03:1; 2.7l 4th gear is 1.09:1. 5th gear is 0.79:1 vs. 0.84:1. Final drive is 3.89:1 vs. 3.56:1.

Besides the smaller engine and lower hp/torque output the 2.5l car has a rep for consuming clutches that may not be deserved. In my road trips I occasionally have need to stop at a Porsche dealer and when talking cars with the people there -- mostly in the service department -- sometimes learn of 2.5l cars with big mileage -- comparable to my 2.7l Boxster with (now) over 310K miles -- and in at least one case I was told the high mileage 2.5l car had its factory clutch.

Though I've managed good clutch life from my 2002 2.7l Boxster a number of other owners have not so it is not like the 2.7l and even the 3.2l (S) examples are above reproach in this regard.

One thing I liked about my 2.7L 2002 was it was the first year the lined top that was standard in the S appeared in the base. But since I have never experienced a Boxster sans the lined top I really don't know what it brings to the experience.

I have never driven a 2.5l car. The 2.5l engine has its fans though. That one finds a Boxster with a 2.5l engine in it is no reason to avoid the car as long as its condition and price and options are in line with one is looking for in a used Boxster.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:13 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry to be practical but this is a DD right?
First issue is who will make sure it runs every day ? - you or your Indie?
To make your choice easier, ask said Indie which of the 3 cars mentioned would be better for YOU ?
If you came to where I work (and we already knew/liked you) we would suggest an S2000 or a Miata. Maybe the Z4. But that is just a friendly Mechanics perspective. The Boss would probably want you to get the Porsche ,thinking of the revenue stream. Then he would see our scowling faces and agree with us.
A 968 if you could find one ! Dyslexics bewre, this is not a Boxster. like this near you:https://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/6070261376.html
I voted with my wallet and bought a Boxster S- great car but it may be risky if there is a lot of deferred maintenance. That is often the reason for a cheap one. And there is nothing as expensive and inconvenient as a cheap Porsche !
Sorry to the enthusiasts, no intent to offend but their cars are usually well maintained and they know all the early warning signs of impending doom and how to avert it !
For an example of a well maintained Boxster ,find Chuck W. on 986 Forum. He had one for sale that qualifies imho.
http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-...000-miles.html
http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-...-interior.html
Old 04-11-2017, 07:25 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

expand your search but with different brands and get more money from your bank......that cheap po you buy will be the most expensive po you buy
Old 04-11-2017, 11:13 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

You are buying at the wrong time of year.

Are you positioned so that you can have two sets of tires? I've driven my 986 in the snow but the thing really likes summer high performance tires that can be deadly below about 40 degrees. Don't ask how I know, it still hurts that I totaled my first Boxster.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:23 PM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a TT and sold it to get a 2000 Boxster S. The TT had a more comfortable, slightly larger. I much prefer the driving experience of the boxster. However the TT is easier to maintain due to front engine, boxster likely more expensive to maintain, but bister has much more trunk space. My wife argued against selling the TT- she thought both were essentially the same-- until she drove the boxster. I do miss the TT's heated seats, and she has admitted the boxster is the better car
Old 04-12-2017, 04:16 AM
KEVIN ANDERSON
Racer

I am doing all the mechanical work if it needs it. I am leaning toward the TT because for the money I can get a much better example of a TT than a Boxster. I've found several with under 70k miles for $8500 and they looked brand new. I will still keep the 528i as a backup car because that will run forever.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:46 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Kevin.
The TT with the FSI engine is probably the easiest to work on. Obviously an S Line would be nice but ...
An older, low miles 3 Series BMW would be much better. And you already 'know' Beemers.
Any Acura or Honda would be way better. Enjoy the hunt !

Quick Reply: Early Boxster or Audi TT for everyday driver