Urgent Help Needed PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 09:05 PM
RacePace
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Urgent Help Needed PLEASE

Hello fellow Porsche owners,
My 987 Boxster S started leaking a pink fluid i suspect its either Transmission oil or coolant.. there are no Check Engine Lights and the car runs and drives perfectly normal but the leak is a little fast i suspect from last night till this morning i would have lost approx between 1/2 to 1 qt.

Could you guys please advise as to what this leak maybe coming from. Below are some pictures.

It appears to be coming from behind this black/pulley wheel.. as each time i wipe it accumulates there...

Any help you guys can give will be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-01-2017, 10:06 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

Check your fluid levels...

I am no expert plus I am color blind but my guess is its a water pump issue.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:43 PM
RacePace
Track Day

Hi,
I can confirm its definitely coolant as i had to add 1qt to the reservoir... is a water pump expensive?
Old 04-02-2017, 05:46 AM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You can go to the Pelican Parts website for the correct water pump - just don't forget to order a gasket too.
A genuine Porsche pump is expensive @ $600 or a Pierburg pump is about $300 which is a good alternative. I haven't heard any good reports on the cheaper pumps (Laso), but its your engine....
Don't get a pump with a metal impeller -use the search function to see why.
Fitting can take about 3 hours plus it would be advisable to replace the coolant while its all apart.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:26 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RacePace
Hi,
I can confirm its definitely coolant as i had to add 1qt to the reservoir... is a water pump expensive?
looks like the pump,maybe have it towed depending how fast it comes out and how far the shop. you could flush,t-stat,belt,pulleys new freeze etc .btw .....porschexpensive or expensiveporsche are one word
Old 04-03-2017, 06:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Hi,
Considering the car is unusable with the water pump in that condition the water pump isn't that expensive.

(Some years ago (6?) I paid around $1K for a new water pumpT-stat and an oil/filter service and new coolant this at a Porsche dealer.)

Be sure the coolant is not coming from above the water pump. There's a coolant tank and hoses that can leak and coolant from any one of these could end up at that location. The hoses are least likely to be the cause with the coolant tank the next most likely cause. 'course at the top of the list is the water pump.

To be sure you or a tech need to get the car in the air and look with a bright flash light at the area behind the water pump pulley. There should be no wetness there.

My advice is to do not drive the car but have it flat bedded to wherever you decide to have this diagnosed and fixed.

'course if you decide to tackle this yourself do not use the car but park it until you have all you need to start and finish the job.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:51 PM
GldMstr315
Track Day

Hi,
Ive replaced dozens of these water pumps. Looks very indicative of a leak at the bushing for the pulley. Appears as though its been leaking for a little while given the coagulation of coolant around the base. These are not all that difficult to replace. I second possibly having it towed to a repair facility if you are not comfortable with a repair yourself. PM if you have any questions. (Most would replaced the thermostat at the same time which result in a coolant flush as well!

-Tyler
Old 04-07-2017, 09:48 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by GldMstr315
Ive replaced dozens of these water pumps. Looks very indicative of a leak at the bushing for the pulley. Appears as though its been leaking for a little while given the coagulation of coolant around the base. These are not all that difficult to replace. I second possibly having it towed to a repair facility if you are not comfortable with a repair yourself. PM if you have any questions. (Most would replaced the thermostat at the same time which result in a coolant flush as well!

-Tyler
T-stat should always be replaced when replacing the water pump. It is rare a T-stat wears out before a water pump but one is on thin ice assuming a T-stat will last the life of the replacement water pump.

Since one is there and the T-stat part cost adds almost nothing the the cost of the water pump replacement job there is no excuse not replace it.

I was always told to take the old T-stat and the new on and drop in a pan of water on the stove and heat the water and with a thermometer (the digital ones are the bomb) watch and verify the new T-stat opens at its temperature (which should be stamped on the T-stat somewhere). Make sure it opens and opens fully as the water comes to a boil. Then remove the pan from the stove and let cool and verify the T-stat closes when the water temperature drops.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:38 PM
GldMstr315
Track Day

Originally Posted by Macster
T-stat should always be replaced when replacing the water pump. It is rare a T-stat wears out before a water pump but one is on thin ice assuming a T-stat will last the life of the replacement water pump.

Since one is there and the T-stat part cost adds almost nothing the the cost of the water pump replacement job there is no excuse not replace it.

I was always told to take the old T-stat and the new on and drop in a pan of water on the stove and heat the water and with a thermometer (the digital ones are the bomb) watch and verify the new T-stat opens at its temperature (which should be stamped on the T-stat somewhere). Make sure it opens and opens fully as the water comes to a boil. Then remove the pan from the stove and let cool and verify the T-stat closes when the water temperature drops.
Agreed, which is why whenever a vehicle comes in at my dealer and a water pump is found to be leaking, the thermostat is always on the estimate. Highly recommended.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:11 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are going to DIY the replacement, Check out warehouse33auto.com
I did my WP and lowtemp thermostat and 3 gal coolant and it was under $350 delivered
I got a Pierburg WP. If you put RENNLIST in the promo/discount box when checking out you save an additional 10%

I have no $ interest in warehouse33auto, just a very happy customer
Old 04-09-2017, 07:15 AM
RacePace
Track Day

Awesome thanks man!
Old 04-09-2017, 11:10 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JayG
I did my WP and lowtemp thermostat and 3 gal coolant and it was under $350 delivered
I got a Pierburg WP. If you put RENNLIST in the promo/discount box when checking out you save an additional 10%

Thank you for the plug!

RacePace if you have any questions just let me know.

-Jason
Old 04-15-2017, 05:39 PM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 607 Likes on 297 Posts
Default Right side rear tail light for sale 97-02

Boxster 97-02 rear tail light right passenger excellent condition, $100 including shipping to CONUS plus any paypal fees charged.
Thanks
Attached Images  

Last edited by uscarrera; 04-15-2017 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Sorry wrong list post
Old 04-15-2017, 05:41 PM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 607 Likes on 297 Posts

Sorry wrong thread post please delete
Thanks
Old 04-24-2017, 11:41 PM
Boxzilla
Track Day

Originally Posted by JayG

Dittio. Warehouse33. Bought from them before..... nice guy, fast shipping and good price!

Quick Reply: Urgent Help Needed PLEASE