Relocating AC controls to the CD changer spot and Cable extensions. - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum
Reload this Page > Relocating AC controls to the CD changer spot and Cable extensions.
Notices

Relocating AC controls to the CD changer spot and Cable extensions.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:26 PM
Vidyashankara
User

Default Relocating AC controls to the CD changer spot and Cable extensions.

Hi All,
I am trying to install a 10.1 inch android system on my 1999 986. Installing this in the upper double din location makes it tough to press the buttons on the center console and use the AC controls. I need to relocate both the AC controls and the switches to the lower double din locations. This is the unit I plan to install,
https://www.carjoying.com/1-din-andr...rds-enter.html

I have something similar on my Cayenne and it's awesome!

For the AC controls,
I wanted to move the AC controls to the upper slot on the lower double din spot and the unit is too thick for that. It looks like i need to cut off a lot of plastic to make that happen. I wanted your opinion before I do that. It slides into the bottom slot no problem. I just need to buy some trim for make everything look flush. Is it even possible to have the AC controls in the top slot? How is it done? It does not slide in, the unit is too thick for the upper slot.

For the buttons,
I have three switches in the center console - rear defroster, door lock and the convertible switches and I also have the cigarette lighter there. I routed these cables to bottom as well and I am planning on buying the batwing with 4 switches to add all these.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....9L._SX300_.jpg

The problem is the cables aren't long enough. Do you know what these connectors are? are these custom or are they a standard connector? I am trying to see if I can make an extension cord without sniping the wires and adding some extra wires to bring them all the way to the batwing.
http://www.design911.com/uploads/ima...5100A02lra.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help,
Vidhu