Sponsored by:

Boxster window problems 2003. Driver Side window

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 06:35 PM
H&Henterprises
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster window problems 2003. Driver Side window

I have a 03 base Boxster that is having issues with the driver side window. It is doing the normal "won't drop" problem, but more than that, it is doing some weird things as well. When the top is released, sometimes it goes down, sometimes not. Other times it will go the opposite direction of the passenger window. Even more strange, is when the car is first turned on, the window will go up and down, but after a couple of times, it will only go up and down in increments. Like it is being indexed. Have you ever seen this behavior?
Old 03-27-2017, 07:35 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

I'd suggest you report your own post and ask the moderator to move it to the correct forum. This forum is for Cayennes - the big-***-truck things with Porsche emblems on them. You have a boxter. Tiny little underpowered things with Porsche emblems on them.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:19 PM
H&Henterprises
2nd Gear

I did, and thanks for your super nice way of helping out a new member! Kudos to you for being a wonderful site help for a first time member posting! And so polite too!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:47 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by H&Henterprises
I have a 03 base Boxster that is having issues with the driver side window. It is doing the normal "won't drop" problem, but more than that, it is doing some weird things as well. When the top is released, sometimes it goes down, sometimes not. Other times it will go the opposite direction of the passenger window. Even more strange, is when the car is first turned on, the window will go up and down, but after a couple of times, it will only go up and down in increments. Like it is being indexed. Have you ever seen this behavior?
You need a young priest and an old priest.

Seriously, those are some symptoms.

First, is either door bottom damp? The door membrane that keeps the water out of the dry side of the door can leak -- age catches up with it -- and if water gets in the dry side it can cause all sorts of door lock and window gremlins.

Next any signs of dampness on the cabin flloor. Check under the passenger seat (USA car) for signs of moisture. Water leaking in from the door, or a clogged body water drain (under the front trunk lid or under each clam shell are) goes for the low spot in the cabin and this is under the seats and under the passenger seat is where the security alarm system control module is located.

Absent any signs of water intrusion there is the concern about rodent infestation. However, the critters can't easily -- even for a rodent -- get into the door and gnaw on wiring and most often the rodent damage symptoms are not confined to some electrical systems off the beaten path, so to speak. I mention rodents but I don't really feel in this case this is the case.

The door lock controller/assembly can fail. As with the door membrane time catches up with it.

This item has some electronics -- smarts -- in it and if it goes bad the window can act weird.

My experience with my 2002 Boxster is the door locks would lock on their own and when I would push the unlock button on the dash sometimes a moment or two later the doors would lock again on their own.

Another symptom was the window would not drop when the door was opened. Or worse, it would drop as usual but after the door was open go back up again.

And occasionally when locking the car the horn would sound a warning like something was ajar. I'd open/close the center console lid then almost always the car would lock with no horn sound. I attributed this to a marginal console lid switch.

But when I took the car in the tech used the Porsche computer to query the security alarm module for errors and these pointed to the door lock controller. He did a bit more diagnostics once he had the door panel off and the door innards exposed and confirmed the problem was with the door lock controller and based on what he found advised me to have this replaced. I Ok'd it and afterwards symptoms gone.

If there is no signs of dampness/water in the cabin not much you can do. Kind of a long shot and only if you feel comfortable doing this but you can by the owners manual instructions disconnect the battery for a while. The by the book reconnect the battery to see if a "power reset" makes the symptoms go away.

I frankly don't hold much hope this will help but it is about all you can do

Last edited by Macster; 03-28-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:29 PM
Cbonilla
AutoX

Had a similar problem with my 03 S. We first replaced the window motor (with a salvage part fortunately) which worked for a while. Then a similar problem started where the window would go back up before you could close the door. I replaced the door lock mechanism and never had the problem again. If I were doing it again I may have reversed the order of the repairs.

Quick Reply: Boxster window problems 2003. Driver Side window