1999 Boxster 986 both power windows and convertible top not working - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

1999 Boxster 986 both power windows and convertible top not working

Old 03-14-2017, 08:21 PM   #1
Avisalem155
New User

Default 1999 Boxster 986 both power windows and convertible top not working

Hi All,

Last week the positive cable on my car broke off and my car was left with no power. In order for me to pop the hood to access the battery, I initially tried putting 12 volts directly to the C3 and D1 fuses. I think I burned something out. My interior lights work, the window drops when opening and closing the door, but both power windows and my convertable top don't wor.
Any ideas what it can be? My fuses are good, I swapped them out and am getting 12 volts, but it doesn't seem like my switches are getting any power. Could it be a relay? Do the power windows feed through the convertible top double relay? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Avisalem155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:32 PM   #2
Macster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisalem155 View Post
Hi All,

Last week the positive cable on my car broke off and my car was left with no power. In order for me to pop the hood to access the battery, I initially tried putting 12 volts directly to the C3 and D1 fuses. I think I burned something out. My interior lights work, the window drops when opening and closing the door, but both power windows and my convertable top don't wor.
Any ideas what it can be? My fuses are good, I swapped them out and am getting 12 volts, but it doesn't seem like my switches are getting any power. Could it be a relay? Do the power windows feed through the convertible top double relay? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Automotive (any) electrical wiring/trouble-shooting is not my strong suite.

Whenever a relay is involved the techs have a bypass relay to use to eliminate the relay as the problem. It might be worth the expense of just buying a new relay.

In the meantime, what you can try is do a battery disconnect and long enough to ensure the car has lost all residual electrical power then reconnect the battery.

If required for your car, be sure you have the radio code.

Be sure the ignition is off and the key is removed from the ignition switch.

Follow proper procedures when disconnecting the battery and then connecting the battery.

If the switches still do not respond when they should (the key has to be on IIRC) and power is good then there is a fuse, relay, or other electrical problem. This could include an ignition switch problem though the behavior you describe is not any I have read being associated with a bad ignition switch in the past.
Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:02 PM   #3
Avisalem155
New User

Thanks Macster, I already tried the reset procedure by disconnecting from the battery and putting the cables together, I left it for about 45 minutes.

I was thinking the same thing with the relays, to bypass it by putting a wire from one side to the other, my problem is that I don't know which terminals I need to connect the 2 sides of the wire to in order to bypass. Any thoughts?
Old 03-15-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
Macster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisalem155 View Post
Thanks Macster, I already tried the reset procedure by disconnecting from the battery and putting the cables together, I left it for about 45 minutes.

I was thinking the same thing with the relays, to bypass it by putting a wire from one side to the other, my problem is that I don't know which terminals I need to connect the 2 sides of the wire to in order to bypass. Any thoughts?
Based on my lack of training/experience with all things electrical I'm not qualified to try to tell you how to bypass the relay.

My advice would be to pick up a Bentley Porsche Boxster Service Manual. In the back it has the wiring diagrams for -- in my early copy -- a 1998 Boxster. From the diagram you might be able to deduce how to bypass the relay.

In the meantime you might visit Pelican Parts. It has some write ups on various Boxster services/repairs and it may have a write up that has some info on this subject that is useful to you.
Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:10 PM   #5
968workaholic
User

Did you check the fuse on the alarm module? It's a 15 amp mini fuse, right by the connectors on the module. It will be easier if you remove the divers seat to check the fuse
968workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #6
Avisalem155
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 968workaholic View Post
Did you check the fuse on the alarm module? It's a 15 amp mini fuse, right by the connectors on the module. It will be easier if you remove the divers seat to check the fuse
thanks workaholic, I did check, it's ok, I even checked the board as per Pedro on his forum, looks fine to me.