Is there more than one fuse box in a 1998 Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 05:12 PM
offroadjim
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there more than one fuse box in a 1998 Boxster

Hi
I seem to be having a problem with all of the accessories that are on the "C3" passenger compartment fuse panel (located in the drivers foot well) not getting power to them. I have power on both sides of the "C3" fuse and even put a jumper across it with no luck. Is there some place else that I should look? Possibly another fuse panel?

All "C3" accessories were working prior to replacing the ignition switch with an aftermarket one. I did try putting the old switch back in (issue was the key wouldn't always pull out easily) but still nothing.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:53 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Old mechanics rule for problem chasing
"What was the last thing you touched before the problem started?". Start there. Maybe you disturbed something in the area of the ignition switch? Generally a circuit has only one fuse. There are not sequences of fuses for C3. Check Bentley for the specific wiring diagram for your year.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:57 PM
offroadjim
AutoX

Thank you. Only the replacement of the electric connection portion of the ignition switch. I've looked all around the are and can not find anything that is obviously disturbed. It's only that one circuit that has the issue that I can tell so far.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:38 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

If you are up for some serious sparky work, you can feed 12v to the downstream side of the fuse connector with a 15a max fused!!!! jumper .That will confirm if the problem is before or after the fuse box. That will narrow down the hunt.
But before you do this make sure your really, really know what you are doing or you could destroy all sorts of wiring and components.
Or just google the issue - for example:
https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi.../?_fromLogin=1
Old 02-02-2017, 02:34 PM
offroadjim
AutoX

I ran a direct 12v power line to the C3 downside connection at the fuse box and there was no change. I would think the issue would need to be from that downside pole inside the fuse box? Any idea where this goes next?
Old 02-02-2017, 05:15 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

That should have enabled all the components downstream of the C3 fuseholder. Hopefully you used a bypass with a 15a fuse?
That prooves the loss of continuity is downstream of the C3 fuseholder. Now use the Bentley wiring diagram to narrow down the break. Then cut the failed conductor at convenient points and overlay a fused replacement. report back
Old 02-02-2017, 05:30 PM
offroadjim
AutoX

Where can I find the diagram you mentioned? I also for the fifth time reinstalled the original ignition switch and it just doesn't appear to have anything to do with that. I also pulled the fuse panel off and gained access to the wiring inside and there is power inside the fuse panel.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:43 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Bentley or Porsche FSM
Or just physically trace it - difficult and mistake-prone.
Or use an electronic tracer like Power Probe.
This is a pro job and trying to do it w/o the tools and knowledge could cause more damage- much more.It is a simple job for an auto electrician and is not Porsche specific .So it should be affordable.

Quick Reply: Is there more than one fuse box in a 1998 Boxster