Sponsored by:

ticking engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 05:19 AM
alank
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticking engine

My engine ticks on initial startup if it has been left for a couple of days or more, seems worse now the weather is cold. After a while the noise reduces , or if I drive off it is not audible. when engine is warm their is a very slight light ticking , but not at all when moving. Using Mobil super 3000 5w/40. I know about lifters draining down , etc, but is this a common thing what I am describing. thanks
Old 01-11-2017, 11:33 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by alank
My engine ticks on initial startup if it has been left for a couple of days or more, seems worse now the weather is cold. After a while the noise reduces , or if I drive off it is not audible. when engine is warm their is a very slight light ticking , but not at all when moving. Using Mobil super 3000 5w/40. I know about lifters draining down , etc, but is this a common thing what I am describing. thanks
Engines (and cars) always get noisier in colder weather.

There are a number of factors that affect the initial noise an engine makes. To name a few: the oil; how fresh it is; the temperature of the engine when it was last shut down; how long it has been since it was last shut down.

A bit of clatter at cold start is normal. as you mentioned lifters bleed down, but chain tensioners bleed down too, and of course oil drains from the cam chains.

This clatter may sound to some like the engine is in dire condition but the noise is harmless. (Otherwise there would be a large number of engines in with engine problems arising from the wear/tear this clatter resulted in causing. Not only Porsche engines but other brands as well for all modern passenger vehicle engines use hydraulic lifters and those that use chains to drive cams use chain tensioners.)

Without hearing the noise -- and this is not a hint you post an audio clip -- the niose is probably normal. I mean these engines make a bit of clatter at start up.

Generally the noise wants to be short lived. Gone almost as soon as it appears. It doesn't want to be too loud though of course because of anxiety some owners may believe it is louder than the trumpet sounding the end of the world and signaling the raising back to life those who had died before.

The noise wants to have no real distinct location other than from the engine.

The noise doesn't want to be accompanied by any untoward engine behavior.

Based on what you posted I think then what you are hearing is normal.

About all you can do is to avoid running the oil too many miles. Both of my cars produce more cold start noise when the oil gets some miles on it. Since I change the oil in my cars every 5K miles the engines don't get real noisy but there is a difference between a cold start with fresh oil present compared to a cold start with oil with 5K miles on it, all other things being equal.

My tech sources tell me, advise me, that for cars that are not driven frequently, and as a result make more noise at cold engine start, they recommend the use of Swepco 502 Premium Oil Improver.

See link:
http://www.swepcolube.com/products/s...e-oil-improver

Be aware for our Porsche engines one bottle of this stuff is not sufficient. I recently started using the stuff in both my engines and I add two bottles to the engine right after an oil/filter service.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:40 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

It may help to switch to a Porsche A40 approved 0W40 for the colder months (Nov-Feb).
Old 01-11-2017, 07:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
It may help to switch to a Porsche A40 approved 0W40 for the colder months (Nov-Feb).
That's a good point. The OP did mention "cold" and I didn't think to ask how cold is "cold".
Old 01-12-2017, 01:30 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

That is South of England 'cold' -they have very mild winters by our midwest standards !
But even in S.Cal you get lifter tick when cold.The key is that it disappears within a few minutes.Obviously we need temps/time/tick location to begin to make a diagnosis
The OP is cross posting and has not given much useful symptoms.
http://986forum.com/forums/general-d...ine-noise.html

Quick Reply: ticking engine