Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I get opinions on this Boxster?

Old 11-29-2016, 05:16 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts
Default Can I get opinions on this Boxster?

I've seen a couple posts by Maxster talking about checking out a used Boxster, very handy! So, I have a good feel for my general approach to looking at the car. But, I'm looking to see if there are any gotchas or alarm bells for this particular car before I go down to look at it. It's been on CL for at least two months. If the tail light is the only problem, then the price seems fair for the mileage, and assuming that nothing else is revealed with a going-over and a drive.

Here's the CL listing: http://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/5844441450.html

Here's an email exchange with the seller:
Sent: Wednesday, November 2, 2016 9:08 AM
To: s83bg-5844441450@sale.craigslist.org
Subject: 2000 Porsche boxster

Good morning.
I see this Boxster has popped back up on CL. Can you tell me what ‘minor water damage’ means?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2016 11:27 AM
To: d3379b641c9c3f44ad33a78bbd7554ad@reply.craigslist.org
Subject: [E] RE: 2000 Porsche boxster

Vehicle had 1-2 inches of water inside. We replaced the security module under drivers seat which tend to go bad even when a window is left open. Runs/drives fine
Old 11-29-2016, 07:22 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

One to 2 inches of water in the cabin is a lot. The security alarm module resides almost on the cabin floor.

Wonder for how long the water was present before being discovered?

While the security module was replaced -- I think it has to be "introduced" to the car in some fashion -- I have to wonder what that amount of water did to the security module socket/wiring/connectors?

And with that much water it takes more than sponging up the water and leaving the doors open for a while to dry out all the water, get all the moisture out from the carpets.

And was the source of the water leak found? A common problem is blocked water drains. There are two under the front trunk lid under the plastic panels on either side of the battery box. There are two at the "rear" of the car. One on either side of the back of the top in the area under the clamshell arms.

Another source of water into the cabin is water which gets into the door and because of a failed door membrane collects where it shouldn't. It eventually leaks out and makes the carpet along the bottom of the door wet. If the leak is not found and fixed promptly this can put water into the cabin.

'course, there is the old leave the windows down in the rain. Or a leaking top. Or even a leak at the windshield.

My point is the source of the water must have been found and addressed or the water can return.

Personally I would be a bit leery of a car that had suffered from 1 to 2 inches of water in the cabin. I'd only feel a bit less leery if the car manifested absolutely no signs of any gremlins of any kind and a highly experienced PPI removed at least the passenger seat and visually confirmed the security module and surrounding hardware was bone frickin' dry. Dry as in Sahara during a drought dry. Dry. Dry. Dry. And there was no sign of any corrosion or degradation of any kind at the security module, its connector and the wiring harness.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:53 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

'Flood damage' sounds like it was parked in a low area and the water got too deep. This actually happened to me once, when I parked in the low spot of a parking lot and there was a deluge of rain overnight. When I came out the next morning, there was about an inch of water on the floorboards. Of course, it was a Subaru Forester, so we vacuumed it out and went on our way.

I'll definitely ask about the source of the water and how the module was replaced. But the place is a salvage yard, they might very well have had one on hand.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:24 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WAter damage scares me

..electrical, mold, deterioration of carpets and interior bits, accelerated corrosion on various systems - none of it good. I would want a whopping discount on any car with water damage.

G
Old 11-30-2016, 11:17 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
'Flood damage' sounds like it was parked in a low area and the water got too deep. This actually happened to me once, when I parked in the low spot of a parking lot and there was a deluge of rain overnight. When I came out the next morning, there was about an inch of water on the floorboards. Of course, it was a Subaru Forester, so we vacuumed it out and went on our way.

I'll definitely ask about the source of the water and how the module was replaced. But the place is a salvage yard, they might very well have had one on hand.
Salvage yard selling the car? Any chance the yard bought the car before it was declared a total loss and threw some hardware at the car and then is flipping it?

Really I'm liking this car less the more I learn about it. Remember Rule #1 with used car shopping is there is always another car.

There are a number of Boxsters available. From the very earliest examples to however recent you care to consider and scores (or dare I say hundreds) of examples in between.

I'd suggest you give this car a miss and resume your search for one that hasn't had one to two inches of water in the cabin.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:53 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

not cheap enough for the risk. One or 2 repairs and you are well into the price range of really nice clean cars.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:36 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Personally I would pass. I have seen some really decent looking Boxsters for sale around me for $5k with no salvage history. Good luck with it!
Old 11-30-2016, 03:35 PM
zoomster1776
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default had similar problem

parked my 2 year old Boxster in a restaurant lot and a flash flood occurred while we we were having dinner. It was considered minor (car not totaled) damage because the water did not get above the engine intakes. but caused 18,000$ in damage paid by insurance company. New leather and electronic modules. traded the car the week it came off warranty out of fear of potential future problems.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:10 PM
bwdz
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this car sold already? I clicked on the link and it said it was deleted
Old 12-01-2016, 09:07 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Could be. But it dropped off before and came back.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:47 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny..... I was going to post this as well to ask what everyone thought..... Guess it sold..... Was thinking of offering him $3500 if it ran well..... Likely just as well it went away....
Says my savings account!
Fred

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can I get opinions on this Boxster?