Waterlogged Alarm Module semi working? 1999 Boxster S 2.5

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 11:35 AM
sweatyfox
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waterlogged Alarm Module semi working? 1999 Boxster S 2.5

Hi All,

So one of my rear drain holes blocked, subsequently flooding the alarm module under the passengers seat. The circuit board was totally submerged.
It put the car into locked mode and put the electric windows down fully which would not go back up.

I have since removed the alarm module, cleaned off the corrosion, dried it thoroughly for several days on a radiator and now refitted it.

Im unable to lock or unlock the doors with the key fob, nor will the alarm arm or disarm itself.

I can however pop the boot with the keyfob and put both windows down, so I assume the alarm module is still talking the key fob.
I can also put the windows up and down, start and drive the car.

On the dashboard the Lock button is still illuminated red and I cant switch it off.
So unable to open the passenger door and the boot/bonnet release levers.

Is there any way I can get the locks to unlock or get the central locking to work from the key fob?

Of has the water damage been to severe and knackered the module?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images   
Old 10-22-2016, 02:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

My opinion is the alarm module is "knackered".

About all I can advise is be sure the doors do not have any water in them for if they do this can cause all sorts of electrical gremlins first with the door lock and window of the wet door then later the gremlins can show up at places removed from the affected door which can make proper diagnosis harder.

If you find the doors dry then focus has to be on the alarm module.

My 2nd hand experience is when cleaning PCBAs (circuit boards stuff with chips/hardware) the tech rinses the board -- sans any power! -- with water and then slings it dry and then rinses with denatured alcohol to remove any water possiby trapped under any components.

In the lab we have filtered dry oil free compressed air which the techs use to blow dry the boards after all this to make sure there is no lingering moisture on/in the board.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:42 AM
kderry
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sweatyfox
Hi All,

So one of my rear drain holes blocked, subsequently flooding the alarm module under the passengers seat. The circuit board was totally submerged.
It put the car into locked mode and put the electric windows down fully which would not go back up.

I have since removed the alarm module, cleaned off the corrosion, dried it thoroughly for several days on a radiator and now refitted it.

Im unable to lock or unlock the doors with the key fob, nor will the alarm arm or disarm itself.

I can however pop the boot with the keyfob and put both windows down, so I assume the alarm module is still talking the key fob.
I can also put the windows up and down, start and drive the car.

On the dashboard the Lock button is still illuminated red and I cant switch it off.
So unable to open the passenger door and the boot/bonnet release levers.

Is there any way I can get the locks to unlock or get the central locking to work from the key fob?

Of has the water damage been to severe and knackered the module?

Thanks in advance.

You will need to have the CLU repaired. There are several companies that can fix it. Replacing it is more complex.

I've heard good things about ecudoctors. Check google.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:25 PM
sweatyfox
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I have tried contacting companies in the UK that do ECU repairs, but no one wants to touch it.

If I can get hold of a second hand alarm module with the exact serial number, would Porsche be able reprogamme it?

Im currently looking out for a matched pair of Engine ECU and Alarm Module with working Key, but I might be waiting a while
Thats assuming I do need both modules?

Or would just an alarm module with key work?

Cheers

Quick Reply: Waterlogged Alarm Module semi working? 1999 Boxster S 2.5