Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal "Boxster" Script on Trunk Lid?

Old 09-13-2016, 01:26 AM
jborchel
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal "Boxster" Script on Trunk Lid?

I'm looking at Boxsters on CraigsList and I've noticed several of them are missing the "Boxster" script on the trunk lid. Does this mean that the trunk lid has been patched and repainted? The car I was looking at is a 97.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:08 AM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

1) You can order the car with the script deleted.
2) Many people have caught the script with a polishing cloth and snapped it - they then remove the remaining part with dental floss.
3) Some owners like to go incognito and remove the script anyway.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by jborchel
I'm looking at Boxsters on CraigsList and I've noticed several of them are missing the "Boxster" script on the trunk lid. Does this mean that the trunk lid has been patched and repainted? The car I was looking at is a 97.
Stephen Tinker covered it.

You should still check for any signs of body/paint work. Feel along where the rubber weather seals lie against the paint for any tape ridge lines or roughness. Check the underside of the front and rear trunk lids. Ideally you should have a paint thickness meter and check the paint thickness on the metal panels. Trouble is these can have vary thicknesses of paint -- from the factory and because of the way teh panels are suspended during the painting process -- so you have to know what is normal and what is not.

Check body panel gaps/fits. A new vs. old tailight or headlight is another clue. Or a new looking A/C condensor vs. a older looking beat up one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Metal "Boxster" Script on Trunk Lid?