Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Boxster Owner

Old 08-28-2016, 08:24 AM
alex.rhodes
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Boxster Owner

Just picked up this beauty yesterday. It is a 2000 Boxster, black with orange highlights. 134,000 miles. It is missing the wind deflector and an aftermarket stereo was installed. There was no history but it does have a clean Carfax, car pulls strong, no leaks, and looks like it was maintained. Only issues I have noticed so far is the spoiler does not go up or down at speed or with the switch and the driver's side window sounds like it is scratching or rubbing when it goes up or down.

Paint Codes

L741/CB

Options
C02 US code
232 Internal production code related to tyres
396 17" Carrera wheels MY1998-2001
446 Wheel caps with colored Porsche crest
454 Automatic speed control
490 Sound system, MY2002-> Sound system Harmann analog
535 Alarm
551 Wind deflector
584 Storage box above engine
696 CD-radio Becker Porsche CDR-220

Old 08-28-2016, 12:33 PM
grc0456
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome and congrats! My advice is:

Join the PCA
Join the 986forum
Get a reputable indie to do a post purchase inspection (sounds like you didn't do a pre)
Change oil and filters
Bleed brake lines
Check the fuse for the spoiler
Check or replace the window regulator
Purchase used roll bar screens and wind deflector on eBay ($$$$)
Budget $1k year for upkeep
Drive, drive and drive 😎
Old 08-28-2016, 12:49 PM
alex.rhodes
Instructor

Thank you. I am looking at joining the PCA again, I was involved a few years back when I had a 944. You are correct on the PPI, I know I should have, but it's a third car and if something needs to be fixed it will be a project with my kids. It may come back to bite me, but I took the risk anyway. Some generic maintenance and checking into those two faults are in order. We already did some driving yesterday and I plan to keep doing some driving. My kids had the biggest smiles I have ever seen on their faces once they got their turn for a ride. I was not sure I would like a convertible but after dropping the top and listening to engine I am sold.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:54 PM
grc0456
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice! Now you are the cool Dad 😄

My 2003 Base is my first Porsche and first convertible. Got it a about a year ago and have not regretted a single minute. I always look forward to driving it and always take a look back at it when getting out.

Last edited by grc0456; 08-28-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Nice looking car.

If the window movement is not smooth if the window doesn't drop a half an inch smartly when the door handle is pulled these signs point to a window reguator.

The seals can make a racket that sounds horrible though. The techs tell me the seals get dry. One suggested using a bar of Ivory soap to run along the seal to lubricate the fibers but I never did this.

Keeping the windows clean inside and out helps some with the seal noise.

For the non-functioning spoiler I have no real experience to offer. Only one time has my 2002's spoiler acted up, a short time after I washed the engine. The spoiler cured itself. I attribute this to moisture/mild corrosion at the electrical connector.

All I can advise is check related fuses, relays, and maybe check the wiring. Maybe the spoiler was disconnected for some reason?

Some advice from a long time and high mileage Boxster owner: Bring the vital fluids up to date. Start with engine oil/filter -- I found a 5K mile change interval works best for my usage. Next flush/bleed the brake and if a manual the clutch fluid. This should be done every 2 years regardless of mileage.

I like to every 4 years or so replace the coolant with fresh mix of Porsche anti-freeze and distilled water. I have this done at the dealer but if you get a vacuum lift system you can do it yourself.

I'd consider a transmission/diff fluid change too. Again I have this done at the dealer. For my 2002 Boxster the labor is just 0.3 hour and there is the cost of the fluid which is kind of pricey but my car's transmission has lasted 303K trouble free miles so I don't begrudge the cost. Still the transmission/diff fluid change is the least expensive service operation my Boxster (and Turbo) have had at the dealer.

Keep the radiator ducts clean. These accumulate trash as the radiator fans suck in anything that gets near the radiator intakes. In some cases the front bumper cover had to be removed. There are DIY write ups on this.

Check the body water drains for trash build up. There are a couple under the plastic panels on either side of the battery under the front trunk lid. There is one under each clam shell arm. To get at these you'll have to put the top in the "service position".

Change the engine air filter and the cabin air filter. The first of course is critical to ensuring the engine receives clean air and enough air to feed the engine even at redline. The 2nd can get rather dirty too and can develop a foul odor if left in service too long.

Enjoy the car. These cars appear to like to be used.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:37 PM
ryanjboutin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats!

If you don't mind me asking, how much does a 2000 Boxster with 134K miles go for these days?
Old 08-28-2016, 04:13 PM
alex.rhodes
Instructor

So, I took your advice and went and looked at the fuses. I looked yesterday but pulled the wrong fuse. This time I triple checked, grabbed the correct fuse and it was blown. Replaced the fuse and the spoiler works. My kids thought that was the coolest thing to watch it pop up.

I need to read up on the service position. I saw it in the owner's manual but haven't read it in detail. The window appears to go up and down fine and makes all the correct movements when the door is opened or the top is unlocked. I'm hoping it's just gunk the tracks or the seals are dried out.

It listed at $6993 at a lexus dealership. It was about $7700 out the door. They did an inspection and it passed Maryland state inspection so it should be in decent shape. They gave me the receipts for all their maintenance and I remember 2 new back tires, a brake adjustment and some other minor stuff.

Thankfully I'm on vacation for the next 3 weeks, so lots of boxstering. And I am definitely the cool dad. The kids are pretty much telling everyone they meet.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:10 PM
ryanjboutin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh cool.

Sounds like a good deal.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:52 PM
alex.rhodes
Instructor

Gotten a few things done over the last day or two. Greased the channel and pulley for the drivers side window and the noise is gone. I think the mechanism was dirty and needed some attention. Cleaned the drains in the front. The drains in the back look good. Took some leaves out of the radiators but still need to drop the bumper to get all of them. Passed safety/emissions inspection. Checked the air and cabin filters and both were brand new. Oil and filter were completed at the dealership.

I need to clean/lubricate the starter. There is an occasional grinding noise while starting. Also, should check the transmission fluid. So far, everything suggested on here and other boards for items to check have checked out. The car pulls strong, brakes work great, transmission and clutch have no issues, top goes up and down as intended. The engine is dusty with a touch of road grime and the brief view of the tranny was the same. This car is in better shape than the 944 I had, and that only had 55,000 to 60,000 miles when I bought it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Boxster Owner