Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1325 & green rubber plastic bits in the oil - Is the end near?

Old 08-03-2016, 03:01 PM
Gatorlapiz
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P1325 & green rubber plastic bits in the oil - Is the end near?

Got a CEL yesterday after replacing an exhaust midpipe.
P1325 - Inlet Camshaft at bank 2

This morning... changed the oil.... and this was on it.

Name:  IMG_0021_1.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  238.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0017_1.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  265.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0015_2.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  307.1 KB

Some say its from the o-rings around the spark plug but the master Raby says its from the vario-cam chain adjuster.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue? My boxster 2.7L only has 48k miles.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

That color of o-ring material is to the best of my knowledge the color of the o-rings that are part of the cam chain tensioners.

Fortunately I have no direct experience with a possible cam chain tensioner o-ring failing.

You probably need to speak to your trusted Porsche tech what this can mean. I mean off hand I think it means a replacing of the bad tensioner but which one?

IIRC in the Boxster one is rather easily accessed the other is located in a place that requires the transmission be removed.

One would prefer to leave the transmission undisturbed unless of course the tech advises replacing both to replace the bad one and to replace proactively the other one which is assumed to still be good.

Oh, and there is the cam chain tensioner for the chain that drives the IMS from the crankshaft. Not sure how this is accessed.

The engine I think can be 'saved" without having to spend a huge sum of money but you need to get a professional/experienced Porsche tech in the loop.

In the meantime I would urge you to avoid running the engine any. Button up the oil filter housing but not before fitting a new filter element and new o-rings and filling the housing with fresh oil.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:38 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

This comes from inside the chain adjuster unit. This debris and the CEL are screaming that the chain adjuster is toast. Mileage doesn't matter to this failure, extended oil service intervals do... Acids in the oil kill these big time. Time in service is trumping mileage in regard to failures these days.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:49 AM
Gatorlapiz
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank You Jake. The previous owner had the same oil in there for 1 year before I bought it in may of 2015. I have been changing the oil regularly every 2-3k miles since I track the car. The chain tensioner pads are light brown and my residue looks pale green.... what you are saying is that i need to replace the entire unit versus just the pads?

Is this what I need ?
https://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Tensi.../dp/B00AGZVLPW

Last edited by Gatorlapiz; 08-04-2016 at 07:06 AM.
Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this same problem now on my 160,000 mile 2000 Boxster S. It's now in the shop pending being fixed. I haven't seen the quote yet. But it's supposed to be over $10,000. I can go and buy a Boxster S with low miles all day long for not much more on BAT! But then I'm hearing from Jake (and my mechanic) that this is time not mileage. So forget the damn IMS issue. I'm really struggling with this. My son is pushing me to buy a 1999-2000 996 Aero instead. But then the 996s will have this same problem/risk, right? At least it would have more value than my Boxster S.

Jake says above that extended oil service intervals contribute to this. I was pretty regular with oil changes. But there were a couple times I went more than usual. So if that contributed to it, are there OTHER green rubber parts in the engine that might be grenades now too?

Old Today, 05:11 PM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 155 Posts

What’s a prolonged oil change? I do mine once a year when I put away for the winter. Always 3k or less. Never had a problem but I’ve always kept my cars only a few years or so. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P1325 & green rubber plastic bits in the oil - Is the end near?