Sponsored by:

Used AC then oil pressure light warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 08:07 PM
Dendrobium
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used AC then oil pressure light warning

I was using the AC in my 2001 Boxster then the oil pressure light came on intermittently. I stopped using the AC. The light would come on briefly at times when braking or when back up.

Now smoke came out of the back as if the AOS had failed?

Any idea what happened here?
Old 08-02-2016, 08:16 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Search for the AOS test.Put your hand over thee oil filler tube opening with the cap removed.
Check the oil level.
What color smoke?
There re some Youtube videos showing failed AOS. Share yours to compare?
Old 08-03-2016, 11:16 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Dendrobium
I was using the AC in my 2001 Boxster then the oil pressure light came on intermittently. I stopped using the AC. The light would come on briefly at times when braking or when back up.

Now smoke came out of the back as if the AOS had failed?

Any idea what happened here?
Low oil pressure warning is not a common (or even uncommon) symptom/sign of AOS failure.

However, I could imagine the low oil pressure light coming on if a failing AOS was affecting engine idle speed enough, slowing it down, to the point the engine was not running fast enough to maintain sufficient oil pressure.

My advice is to avoid running the engine any and flat bed the car to a qualified shop and let a pro Porsche tech make the diagnosis.

If it is the AOS with the smoke the failure is not too far from reaching the point it can route too much oil vapor even oil to the intake and hydraulic lock of the engine is possible.

There is the slim, very slim, possibility an accessory drive problem -- failing/seizing A/C compressor? -- was causing the engine to slow down enough to trigger the low oil pressure warning light. Later the smoke was from the belt but this is a very slim possibility.

Let the professional Porsche tech make the call. The odds are very high it is not something you can fix on your driveway -- unless you replace the AOS -- anyway.

Quick Reply: Used AC then oil pressure light warning