Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent Radiator Fins - Reduced Cooling or Just Eyesore?

Old 04-25-2016, 08:33 AM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Bent Radiator Fins - Reduced Cooling or Just Eyesore?

Does this radiator need to be replaced (and does the bumper have to come off for this job)? Or just repaired with a screwdriver or one of those "comb" tools to pick out the folded/squished fins and make them stand proud again (so they are not blocking air flow) and re-paint the area in flat black? I'm worried these damaged areas will create hot spots, negating the benefit of even having the 3rd radiator. I don't think any of the coils in the core are damaged (nothing leaking but I suppose there could be some blockage or restriction but as far as I can tell the damage is only to the very front edge of fins, I'm just not sure it's cosmetic only). And yes, now I know they sell mesh grills that can help prevent this.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:53 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if it was mine i would not take the risk of doing more damage .i do not see a cooling issue until alot more are blunted. hit it with some black paint if it bothers you that much and fugetaboutit
Old 04-25-2016, 11:40 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by gearFX
Does this radiator need to be replaced (and does the bumper have to come off for this job)? Or just repaired with a screwdriver or one of those "comb" tools to pick out the folded/squished fins and make them stand proud again (so they are not blocking air flow) and re-paint the area in flat black? I'm worried these damaged areas will create hot spots, negating the benefit of even having the 3rd radiator. I don't think any of the coils in the core are damaged (nothing leaking but I suppose there could be some blockage or restriction but as far as I can tell the damage is only to the very front edge of fins, I'm just not sure it's cosmetic only). And yes, now I know they sell mesh grills that can help prevent this.
No the radiator doesn't have to be replaced. This assumes there is no leakage. The visible "damage" is minimal and if it wasn't you'd know it by the presence of anti-freeze.

If the radiator did need to be replaced the front bumper cover would have to come off. It takes an experienced tech just a few minutes to remove the thing.

Like extanker succinctly put it: fugetaboutit.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:29 PM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for your responses. That's 2 votes for "do nothing" (or possibly spray some rattle can paint and move on).

Assuming my dealership was willing to somehow replace this under warranty, or my auto insurance would replace it under a claim (again, just speaking hypothetically), should I go ahead and authorize its replacement for maximum cooling performance (and because I'll always know it's "damaged" even if I paint over it), or is there too much risk for collateral damage or panel gaps not lining up once the bumper is removed? (It will never be the same as factory fit and finish, etc.)

Last edited by gearFX; 04-25-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:12 AM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

should I go ahead and authorize its replacement for maximum cooling performance
fugetaboutit

seriously, you're getting worked up over nothing.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Thanks for your responses. That's 2 votes for "do nothing" (or possibly spray some rattle can paint and move on).

Assuming my dealership was willing to somehow replace this under warranty, or my auto insurance would replace it under a claim (again, just speaking hypothetically), should I go ahead and authorize its replacement for maximum cooling performance (and because I'll always know it's "damaged" even if I paint over it), or is there too much risk for collateral damage or panel gaps not lining up once the bumper is removed? (It will never be the same as factory fit and finish, etc.)
That's not a warranty claim, no more than if a windshield received a rock chip. The problem -- in this case cosmetic damage only -- is not due to a bad part, a botched installation.

And your car insurance would almost certainly refuse to pay for the replacement as the dealer/shop the insurance company would have you take the car would dismiss that damage as inconsequential.

The bumper can come off to if necessary to among other things access the radiators if and when the time comes to replace one or more. The bumper cover can come off to allow the trash that collects in the radiator ducts, and between the condenser and the radiator, to be removed. In all cases the bumper cover should go back on the car and its before and after appearance indistinguishable.

So let me join the chorus: fugetaboutit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bent Radiator Fins - Reduced Cooling or Just Eyesore?