Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Second gear problem

Old 02-12-2016, 05:45 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Good find Bill !
Am I correct? - In the old days you used a detent mod(GBox) or the shift arrester(CMS). Now the two functions have been combined in this new single part. Great.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:12 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Good find Bill !
Am I correct? - In the old days you used a detent mod(GBox) or the shift arrester(CMS). Now the two functions have been combined in this new single part. Great.
Don't know when CMS made their detent but I think they only sell it to compliment the shift arrester. When you see the oe shift arrester & CMS part side by side, there is no comparison of the quality. You do have to remove the tail housing to install it.

Call them up, very helpful by phone.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:28 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

I pretty much don't sell anything that I don't make. I've recently made an exception and keep CMS shift arrestors and bearing plates on my shelves. It makes it more convenient for my European customers who can buy everything they need from me instead of having to pay two shipping bills from two different manufacturers.

I only manufacture. CMS manufacturers and rebuilds.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:26 AM
Barnwell986
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in South Carolina and my G86.20 needs a second gear repair also. I've read that Jim Burton is good and I've emailed him. Recently, Toluca Lake Classic Motorsports has relocated to my town and they are supposed to have a good transmission guy but I know nothing about them. Does anyone have any information about them?
Old 11-01-2016, 08:23 PM
AR|Groundzero
Track Day

Received 26 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue with second gear and tried the detent. You are all correct that the detent does NOT solve anything. I ended up buying second gear and synchro. It took some work but I managed to tear it all down and put it back together. I published an article so hopefully others would benefit from my experience. I have the shop manuals and after sales technical manual on the drive train.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hudd88qabt...n%204.pdf?dl=0

I have been driving it like I stole it since the repair 3 years ago and NO ISSUES whatsoever.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:29 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Barnwell986
I'm in South Carolina and my G86.20 needs a second gear repair also. I've read that Jim Burton is good and I've emailed him. Recently, Toluca Lake Classic Motorsports has relocated to my town and they are supposed to have a good transmission guy but I know nothing about them. Does anyone have any information about them?
Jim Burton is an excellent gearbox mechanic. Never heard of the other place.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:30 AM
no1tmorrow
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back Story. I have the 2nd gear problem on my new too me 02S. I see where I can buy used transmissions for less than 1700. From what I can tell getting mine rebuilt is like 2500-3000. How do I say this without sounding like someone that shouldn't buy a Porsche if they afford to fix a Porsche. But 2500-3000 is too rich for my blood. I say this because the previous owner(s) did not take care of it and the amount of problems on this car continues to build.

So my questions are: What years of Boxster s 6 speeds can go in my 02? Would there be someone that rebuilds 2nd gear for the price of being a used transmission?

Thanks
Thom
Old 11-08-2016, 10:27 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

The labor to do the box is the labor to do the box. A used box offers no guarantees. 2nd gear issues are so common the replacement might have the exact same problem you have now.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:34 AM
no1tmorrow
Intermediate

Thanks for the response. Was hoping for a more positive answer. May have to just sell it and take my lumps.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:03 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

And unfortunately the solution to the number of hours labor to repair the box is very skilled labor and specialized equipment. So it is not a diy job for most owners.
There is a significant risk of damaging the components when extracting 2nd gear because of the huge force required. Same with the replacement part.
The parts to do this repair are available from Pelican but are also an eye-watering price.
The best option is a guaranteed low mileage, trouble free 6 speed gearbox. Tough to find!
Then there are all the 'while you are in there' jobs.
A few Threads have begun on this project .Most just stop at the "I got apart" stage. I recall only 2 that were reported as successful. If there are more, it would be good to read about it and know their techniques.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:02 PM
no1tmorrow
Intermediate

I am on the "One Wrench" out of "Five Wrench" scale but replacing the Transmission seemed possible. Rebuilding = Not a chance for me. What sucks is the pricing of things based on previous owner makes my decisions really hard.

So far I have the 2nd gear problem, strange random idle tick, passenger seat moves only 1/8 inch, rear bumper hit, tore radio out to find that previous owner took out the bose amp and tried to run factory speakers off head unit, top torn under rear cover thus leaks (can't see tear until top at 80%), passenger seat needs leather repair. Hate seeing cars mistreated...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Second gear problem