Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Boxster S CDR23 radio won't work!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 11:25 PM
DrChipRepair
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Boxster S CDR23 radio won't work!

The Bose radio (CDR23) in my 2003 Boxster S will not turn on. When switched on it just flashes "PORSCHE" with a whirring sound in the background which sounds like something is failing to engage. Dealer immediately said it is shot and must be replaced for $795.00. Is this true, that it is shot? If so, must the replacement have the exact same part number as the one in the car? Many used ones show up in eBay and elsewhere all suggesting they will work but part numbers are all different from mine. Thanks you very much.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:27 PM
viprklr
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

������
Old 11-23-2015, 11:33 PM
DrChipRepair
AutoX

Yay, Todd!! My first reply. Such a beautiful GT3.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by DrChipRepair
The Bose radio (CDR23) in my 2003 Boxster S will not turn on. When switched on it just flashes "PORSCHE" with a whirring sound in the background which sounds like something is failing to engage. Dealer immediately said it is shot and must be replaced for $795.00. Is this true, that it is shot? If so, must the replacement have the exact same part number as the one in the car? Many used ones show up in eBay and elsewhere all suggesting they will work but part numbers are all different from mine. Thanks you very much.
If the unit doesn't work right one explanation of course is the unit is shot.

The dealer really only knows -- there are exceptions -- remove and replace with a new one. There is no diagnosis or repair to be had. (Shortly after I bought my 2008 Cayman S the radio started acting up -- I forget the symptoms now -- and I took the car back and the tech "reset" the system with the diagnostics computer. This "resurrected" the radio for a while but the symptoms came back and at another dealer the tech decided the radio was just bad and a new one ordered and installed. All this under the new car warranty of course.)

Is the car's battery healthy?

Does your car have a multi-CD player in the trunk? My 996 Turbo does and once in a great while the radio acts up and I found opening the trunk and unplugging then plugging the 6-CD player "cured" the behavior.

Beyond that all I can offer is to check any fuses associated with the audio system. Not a common symptom of this but I assume the car's floor is dry? No signs of moisture in the carpets under the seats?

My info is Porsche AG offers an "exchange" system for audio and navigation components. I do not know how this works, the cost involved. Maybe the price the dealer quoted you was the exchange cost?
Old 11-25-2015, 02:58 PM
DrChipRepair
AutoX

Hello Master. Thanks much for your reply. Yes, the car's battery is healthy? My car doesn't have a multi-CD player in the trunk I've checked all fuses and the car inside is dry as a bone.Dealer gave me no "exchange" option. So, guess I'm 'shot' out of luck!
Old 11-25-2015, 08:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by DrChipRepair
Hello Master. Thanks much for your reply. Yes, the car's battery is healthy? My car doesn't have a multi-CD player in the trunk I've checked all fuses and the car inside is dry as a bone.Dealer gave me no "exchange" option. So, guess I'm 'shot' out of luck!
Most likely the radio is bad then. The $795 price may be the exchange price.

An hour's labor or so then the exchange price of the radio.

Have you tried visiting a reputable auto audio repair shop in your area to ask if they have seen this and can offer any help?

Have you tried -- I don't hold out much hope for this -- but have you tried removing the fuse (or fuses) associated with the radio/dash/gage cluster circuits and leaving them out a while then of course putting the fuses back in?

If you don't want to fuss with the fuses disconnecting the battery's negative cable works. Be sure all electrical loads are off - lights off, etc -- and remove the key before you disconnect the battery.

The idea is you want to kill the power to the dash/gage cluster/radio to force a hard (power) reset.

I do not think you need a radio code for your 2003 radio, but before you remove the fuses, or disconnect the negative cable of the battery, check the owners manual for how to disconnect the battery and reconnect the battery and what you need to do before and after.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:16 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You don't need a radio code, but the radio serial number is coded into immobiliser or the DME, not sure which.

If you replace it, the car will need programing with a PWIS or PST2.

If the radio is shot, you may be better off replacing it with an aftermarket unit. It wont look 100% "factory", but you can get a bunch of new features like bluetooth, sat radio , etc. Aftermarket 1 DIN radios with advanced features are typically under $200. Another option is to do a 2 DIN upgrade and get NAV as well

Quick Reply: 2003 Boxster S CDR23 radio won't work!