Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any feedback on upgrading OEM 4 pistons front caliper by Brembo 6P ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 02:57 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Any feedback on upgrading OEM 4 pistons front caliper by Brembo 6P ?

I would be very interested to read any feedback from Boxster (or 996) driver that had upgraded front brakes from 4 pistons to 6 pistons !

Anyone of you made this mod ?
Old 05-24-2015, 12:03 AM
Qmulus
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
I would be very interested to read any feedback from Boxster (or 996) driver that had upgraded front brakes from 4 pistons to 6 pistons !

Anyone of you made this mod ?
I have seen a 996 C2 with get upgraded to 996TT brakes. The Boxster S uses the same brakes as the 996 C2, so you would be looking at the same parts. That is, front and rear (you need to have balanced braking) calipers, rotors, front hub carriers complete with hubs (the big calipers won't bolt up to the Boxster hub carriers), master cylinder, lines, etc. My guess is you would be looking at $3k for used parts if you are patient, plus a lot of labor.

I guess if you have a turbo or V8 swapped Boxster the big brakes might be useful, but I have never heard of someone with a stock S say that they didn't have enough brakes. You would also be adding unsprung weight, which hurts the ride and handling. Considering the amount of work and expense, it doesn't surprise me that you don't see this conversion often.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:29 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Thank you Qmulus.

Well, my (old, 2001 !) Boxster (S) is a kind of “track car”. I have PSS9 on each corner, and I think, as soon as you “do” that, you change the handling a lot, but it is no longer a “GT” (a car that you can use for driving long rides on open roads).
My goals with this car goes on two fold : getting more power (nothing has been done yet on this, but I’m thinking going to 3.8L, with 200 cell cats exhaust and intake with IPD and large throttle box), and removing some weight.
In the short term, as I’m going into R compound tires (BK bar is here already), I will do a oil pan extension, together with a good oil baffle (choice on Tarett Engineering parts), as I think that going on track with M96, with R compound tires and OEM oil baffle, ..is playing a quite dangerous game !
On “removing weight”, I have removed the OEM (heavy) seats to put light buckets seats (with Schroth harness), removed the lead acid battery to install a Li-Ion, and I plan to remove the OEM electric roof, to go with a “super light” removable “rain emergency roof”. Next could be doors, or, at least, the side glasses to use Perspex instead of the OEM heavy glass.
One of the next will be removing the OEM steering pump and pipes, to install an electric power steering pump in the front.
(Close to forget that I have OZ Alleggerita wheels instead of the OEM ones.)

This been said, with the above, you see the kind of “program” is “on line” for this car. I feel that the brake are OK, good, ..but could be better.
I seriously consider a 6 pistons Brembo kit, but, I do not want the ones that have a “bridge” on the caliper, i.e.: you have to remove the caliper to exchange the pads.
Brembo has such kit on the market, including (larger) rotors, and adapting brackets, to position the new caliper as it should.
This kit seems to be “common", so, the reason of my post was to try to read what is the braking feeling when you do such mod.

As you have seen something quite similar, I would be curious to read some more, about the braking feeling, moving from OEM 996 into the 6 pistons, in this case, the one of the Turbo, which I think, these are the exact same ones as the Brembo kit.
(I bet it was on 380mm rotors, right ?)
Do you know the person that did the mod that you have seen ? If yes, can you write some more about the “new” braking feeling with 6P ?

Thanks a lot in advance
Old 05-28-2015, 06:20 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

It seems that having 6 pistons calipers means removing the calipers to change the pads !
I was not aware that 6P calipers have a "bridge", that "locks in" the pads into the calipers.

Quick Reply: Any feedback on upgrading OEM 4 pistons front caliper by Brembo 6P ?