Sponsored by:

986 maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 04:51 PM
legendver2
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 986 maintenance?

Hi, new here, am thinking of maybe picking up a Boxster as an option for a weekend car sometime later this year, and was wondering how's the maintenance and cost of maintenance for this car, being German and all. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2015, 09:10 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Is it a Toyota? No. But it all depends on what year and the miles on the car and the care it has had.

My 2 were less maintenance than any of my 3 Hondas. All were very well maintained. But I just learned of the history of one of mine and in 20k more miles the age and miles and thus maintenance needs have crept up and it needs a list of things, not surprising for a 13 year old car.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:09 PM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 155 Posts

There all going to have issues. Just be prepared, the bills can add up fast. DIY yourself will help, and a independent porsche mechanic is a good thing as well. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:32 PM
paulofto
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

A lot of services that are priced over the top at Porsche dealers and Indies can be done yourself if you have some basic skills & tools. Obviious ones like oil and filter changes that cost $200+at a dealer can be done for a 1/4 of that if get your oil on sale, stock up and do it yourself. Brake fluid change, brake pads, manual trans fluid change, and easily accessible items are all affordable DIY projects. Clutch, RMS, IMSB, AOS . . . these are more complex and cost $$$ at a shop. My recommendation is do as much DIY maintenance as you can, address probles right away, steer clear of any quick oil change, brake or muffler shops (they can create work for real shops), find a good Porsche Indie and save your money for the more expensive jobs that will inevitably come up.

Above all else, drive your car and enjoy it!
Old 04-14-2015, 05:08 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

DIY will most certainly help you save money. Feel free to use our tech articles for any of your DIY needs: http://www.pelicanparts.com/boxster/boxster_tech.htm Good luck with your purchase!
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-15-2015, 12:57 AM
paulofto
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh yeah, now that I see PelicanParts chime in, buy Wayne's book '101 Projects For Your Boxster' The ~$25.00 investment will pay for itself many times over.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:17 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by paulofto
Oh yeah, now that I see PelicanParts chime in, buy Wayne's book '101 Projects For Your Boxster' The ~$25.00 investment will pay for itself many times over.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:21 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Use the Pelican tutorials and zillions of photos - all free !
But the best part is,they are just nice helpful,decent people. In my chaotic projects there have been ample opportunities for them to be(justifiably) unhelpful but they have always been excellent. They don't know my screen name so I get no benefit from saying this. It is just the truth.
I just hope they keep supporting these old cars!
Old 04-27-2015, 01:34 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Use the Pelican tutorials and zillions of photos - all free !
But the best part is,they are just nice helpful,decent people. In my chaotic projects there have been ample opportunities for them to be(justifiably) unhelpful but they have always been excellent. They don't know my screen name so I get no benefit from saying this. It is just the truth.
I just hope they keep supporting these old cars!
Appreciate it! We will keep supporting them as long as we can!

-Luccia

Quick Reply: 986 maintenance?