Rebuilt engine general questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 06:05 PM
Really
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rebuilt engine general questions

Hello,

I am in a rather tight spot and am shopping around for a remanufactured motor for an '03 2.7L tiptronic. Weighing this option against the price point of a used motor installed by my local shop, it seems that this is would be a better investment with more assurance of longevity.

Is it generally better to get a remanufactured motor vs a used motor if you can afford one?

How does a rebuilt motor effect the resale vs. a used motor?

What questions should I ask when purchasing a rebuilt motor?

What do I need to look out for or avoid when purchasing a rebuilt motor?

What are the best companies to purchase a rebuilt motor from?

I really appreciate all of the help and advice I've gotten on the forum so far. My first M96 engine seized after a month and I am looking for a solution that will provide me with a more dependable automobile. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Really
Hello,

I am in a rather tight spot and am shopping around for a remanufactured motor for an '03 2.7L tiptronic. Weighing this option against the price point of a used motor installed by my local shop, it seems that this is would be a better investment with more assurance of longevity.

Is it generally better to get a remanufactured motor vs a used motor if you can afford one?

How does a rebuilt motor effect the resale vs. a used motor?

What questions should I ask when purchasing a rebuilt motor?

What do I need to look out for or avoid when purchasing a rebuilt motor?

What are the best companies to purchase a rebuilt motor from?

I really appreciate all of the help and advice I've gotten on the forum so far. My first M96 engine seized after a month and I am looking for a solution that will provide me with a more dependable automobile. Thanks.
A badly done remanufactured engine would almost certainly compare unfavorably to a good used engine.

'course, finding a good used engine involves a bit of luck.

For the remanufactured/rebuilt engine question it all boils down to who does the rebuilding.

If the rebuilt engine was put together by a reputable Porsche engine builder and you have the paperwork to back it up the presence of the rebuilt engine should not negatively affect the resale value of the car -- these are not going to be collector cars and matching numbers are not a big concern. In fact the rebuilt engine could be a positive thing if/when the times to sell or trade the car in.

Questions to ask a rebuilder? That's tough to answer cause they are all going to know what to say, the good ones and the bad ones.

I guess if I were interested in a rebuild, I'd want to know what is meant by a rebuild?

Does this include blue-printing the engine?

Are all wear parts renewed or just those that obviously show wear or damage?

Does the rebuild change the engine in any substantial way? By this I mean if emissions testing is required in my area will the engine still pass emissions, both the visual inspection test and the sniffer test?

Does the rebuild change the servicing schedule of the engine?

Are special parts/supplies needed to properly service the engine?

Can the rebuilt engine be serviced by dealers or Porsche indy shops?

If something else happens to the engine -- out of the rebuilder's warranty -- can off the shelf parts be used to repair the engine?

Does the rebuild make the engine more sensitive to fuel? Since I live in an area that only has 91 octane gasoline available will the engine still function ok with 91 octane gasoline?

What engine shortcomings are addressed and how are they addressed?

What is the warranty?

Can you supply names/phone numbers of customers?

I would think how the rebuilder reacts to these questions and or others asked is important, too.

You are getting ready to lay down a significant chunk of change and you cant' just hear "trust me" and be satisfied with that.

Along with putting questions to the rebuilder, you want to put questions to owners of cars that have a rebuilt engine installed from any rebuilder you are thinking about using.

Since I have not used the services of any engine rebuilder I can't advise you which ones are the ones you should talk to.

Check out the ads in Panorama and Excellence for engine rebuilders and pay the closest ones a visit if you can. Otherwise see what their web sites offer in terms of details, warranty, etc. Then ask specific questions of the online community or google the name and see what pops up in the search hits.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:28 AM
KurtF
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might be able to help. I have a 2.9 motor from a 2000 Boxster S with only 35K original miles. IMS bearing was done at 30K. This was from a well maintained car, no issues. PM if interested.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:24 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

KurtF

How did it become a 2.9? What parts were used? (The 2000 was a 2.7, wasn't it?)

Really

The term rebuild can be interpreted in hundreds of ways. A responsible rebuilder will list all the changes and any improvements that were made. Since the used motor is worth upwards of $4k, expect to pay a lot more depending on the amount of improvements that were done. I've seen $10k, and I've seen $26k. The difference was the upper end had every problem that was known to have occurred to any engine improved out of the engine. There were few wearing parts that hadn't been replaced. It was better than new. The lower priced one had obvious specific problems fixed and some measurements taken but the internals were generally what came originally from the Porsche factory. And of course Porsche will sell you a rebuilt motor if they have any left. Reputation is everything in a rebuilder. Ask around and on the forums before you commit.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:50 AM
KurtF
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry not a 2.9, motor is a 3.2 2000 Boxster S.
Really
This motor should easily replace your 2.7 and give you a nice improvement in performance. I also have a nice Fabspeed sports exhaust (cat bypass, headers), cold air intake which all in will give you a solid 50 HP improvement over your old motor and sounds great. As I said the IMS bearing was done already, which is the biggest concern with these motors.
This engine worked flawlessly for me, was professionally maintained, no leaks, no issues, oil changes every 3K. With only 35K original miles this set up should give you many years to enjoy your car.
If you are interested to speak further, E-mail me at Drk.cda@gmail.com. Otherwise best of luck finding a solution that works best for you.
Kurt

Quick Reply: Rebuilt engine general questions