Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67/)
-   -   Looking to try and save a 98 2.5! (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/837067-looking-to-try-and-save-a-98-2-5-a.html)

Listerofsmeg 10-03-2014 03:56 PM

Looking to try and save a 98 2.5!

I recently purchased a 2.5 986 with some issues that i fancied having a crack at fixing up.

The car was smoking heavily and misfiring. By smoking i mean "smoking"!!

Having done a little research i decided to replace the AOS, get a fresher set of coilpacks and changed the plugs.

Now the car is still smoking heavily and as i have now had the car running the check light is illuminated. My code reader i use for my Audi will not link to the car to check the codes.

I have figured that the majority of the smoke will be due to the excess oil that is still in the old exhaust.

So, and this is a plea from one petrol head to many others.....is there anyone in the north herts area that may have a code reader i could borrow to see what its throwing up?

Would really like to get this car back to life and usable, it needs a little tidying up but i am fairly handy mechanically (i produce and sell turbo kits for other marques myself, as well as build my own track cars). This however is my first porsche so am seeking advice from the experts :)

Ironically there is another boxster just round the corner from me which is often up on jacks so i wonder if he is on here!!

I am based in letchworth, so if anyone can help, please let me know!!

Cheers,
Neil :thumbsup:

DennisAN 10-03-2014 07:37 PM

Herts? You mean Hertshire in the UK?

Listerofsmeg 10-03-2014 07:39 PM

yeah i kind of realised after i posted it that the clientèle of this forum may be more focussed in the US....but hey, i can hope :)

mikefocke 10-03-2014 09:01 PM

You know of boxa.net? You are more liable to find someone in your area there I think.

Listerofsmeg 10-04-2014 11:34 AM

Yeah im on there too.

Did a compression check this morning, not good news. Zero on cyl 1, normal on all other 5. :(

mikefocke 10-04-2014 01:06 PM

http://www.porsch-apart.co.uk/ in the UK

www.douglasvalley.co.uk in the UK

Macster 10-04-2014 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Listerofsmeg (Post 11696975)
Yeah im on there too.

Did a compression check this morning, not good news. Zero on cyl 1, normal on all other 5. :(

Could be a cracked head.

Or possibly something more serious, more internal and if so then it is probably engine replacement time.

Before you leap though look, or have someone look to determine just what is wrong. This will probably require some engine tear down, though a leak down test might help you.

If the problem is deeper than the head all might not be lost just yet. Perhaps the engine can be resurrected? AutoFarm and Hartech are two names that come to mind if one wants to explore having a Boxster engine repaired/rebuilt. There may be others but I'm not a resident of the UK.

You can visit www.pistonheads.com and find the appropriate Boxster forum and ask for advice/recommendations regarding UK located engine rebuilders.

Listerofsmeg 10-05-2014 05:02 PM

I can happily rebuild the engine myself. The initial battle is removing one for the first time. Give me a honda and i can do that in about an hour. I just havent figured this out yet! :) Ill get it done though.

Macster 10-05-2014 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Listerofsmeg (Post 11699367)

I can happily rebuild the engine myself. The initial battle is removing one for the first time. Give me a honda and i can do that in about an hour. I just havent figured this out yet! :) Ill get it done though.

Removing the engine is not hard. There are several DIY articles that cover this around the 'net. Some have been posted here.

If you want a printed reference get the Bentley Porsche Boxster Service Manual Boxster, Boxster S 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004.

This has a section on engine removal.