Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor seized within 5 weeks of purchase! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 04:23 PM
evifenocvt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dood, sorry to hear about your ordeal but whatever little voice inside your head that was telling you to drop over 11k to buy and RnR a new engine should be stoned to death.

i mean, we're talking about a dime a dozen 2.7L boxster. the reality is that you could have bought a whole new car for nearly that much and rolled the dice on that car blowing up or lasting long. the risk return here just didn't make sense considering the other options available to you. and as jake said, separating engine builder from installer leaves you in a bind if things go bad, with both those parties able to point the finger at one another which is what is likely going to happen. both parties could be equally responsible for that engine which sounds so dreadful.

sorry to be downer, but i do wish you the best going forward. i mean these cases are perfect lessons to be learned about throwing good money after bad or cutting your losses when you can... live to fight another day. i learned similar (hard and expensive) lessons in the market back in the early 2000's... averaging down and not selling POS stocks... preservation of capital is key when your resources are limited. i hope you learn a valuable lesson here. good luck to you!
Old 02-23-2015, 08:21 PM
Really
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys want the truth?

I had this car just long enough to let all of the women in my life know that I had bought it. So from where I stood, I could be the idiot who was bilked out of 15 thousand dollars, or I could be the idiot who overspent but still drives his Porsche. I figured as the latter I would at least be in good company.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:58 PM
fatmatt0116
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. You didn't deserve this. Sorry. That car needs to have a fatal accident followed by a visit from the claims adjuster. For that price you should lease a new car next time rather then buying an old POS.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:57 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

"hi Mr. Adjuster.... well, I got a flat tire on a country road....

"called for a tow truck and wifey and i walked a 1/4 mile to get a bottle of pop....

"next thing you know, we get back to the car and discover it was hit by a tractor trailer or such thing....

"maybe a dump truck................... my beautiful car looks like it was hit by a train...."

have the mods to delete this thread NOW.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:51 AM
gricec
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So did you figure out what the noise is from the new motor?

I think if this happened to me, I would have to install the motor myself. Having a different mechanic install someone elses motor seems a recipe for disaster.

Sorry this happened though man.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:47 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Having a different mechanic install someone elses motor seems a recipe for disaster.
It is so often. Here are some reasons why:

-The shop installing the engine has no vested interest in it.
-The shop often has engine building skills and they get pissed if you buy a solution, rather than trusting their work.
-The shop may actually HOPE the engine has issues, so they can get more labor to remove and replace the engine for warranty.
-If the above happens, they also can say "I told you so; should have had us do the work".

These are the reasons why I only install engines when we build them, and we don't ship them away. If I ever have an engine that has a warranty issue I will then ship the whole car back here.

Quick Reply: Motor seized within 5 weeks of purchase! Help!