Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter replacement/upgrade/fix

Old 08-25-2014, 12:34 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I guess the MEC bolt issue has been discussed before but it seems that using the appropriate grade/size/thread of bolt + some 3Bond would be adequate.
I found this on the 3Bond site:
"ThreeBond 2411 is microencapsulated acrylic precoat for use as a locking and sealing agent on screws or bolts. Low strength .

In the MEC process, a microencapsulated, highly reactive sealing and locking agent is applied to the threads of screws, bolts, or pipes. The agent does not react until the part is tightened; then the microcapsules break, and the sealing and locking agent instantly polymerizes to prevent loosening or leaking. After MEC processing, no locking agent or sealant needs to be applied to threads; the sealing and locking properties are activated in the assembly."
Old 08-25-2014, 12:38 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Yep, MEC is for those people who can't be trusted to use the proper amount of sealant on a fastener.. Lots of those people are employed to work on these engines.

3 bond, Loctite 565, Dreibond and many other sealants can do the same job, or even do it better..
BUT that said, people expect a MEC bolt to be used in the IMSR kits, so we had to step up and include them back in 2008 and have with every kit since.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:15 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Jake,
Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge. My travels on the BMW & Mercedes forums reveal the same situation.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:24 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
That is a great data point! And coming from someone with your credentials is rather more credible than my amateurish research. Mr.Penguin, I am impressed that you did the rebuild. Did you post a write-up of your build anywhere for the noobs to study?
No write-up unfortunately. Guess all bandwidth was used up by getting it right. Good experience though and with the Boxster WSM plus these youtube videos I got it right to the point where the engine is purring along great after 10k + miles.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:51 PM
stasha
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Is there any update on how the replacement lifters fared?

Also, did you do the work yourself, and, if so, was it more than one weekend?

Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lifter replacement/upgrade/fix