change IMS single row to new double row kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 12:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
GVA,
You may want to research the lubrication requirements of steel vs. ceramic bearings -they are quite different. It has been discussed at length.
It would be easy to replace an IMS as a routine with each clutch change ,so perhaps an everlasting bearing is a an unnecessary objective ? A steel ball bearing+DOF kit may be more than adequate? This has been discussed many times here and elsewhere.
I applaud your zeal in hunting down and fixing one of the "Modes of Failure". Unfortunately there are at least another 23 not just the IMS .We need to focus on them all .
AFAIK there is no difference in oiling requirements for the ceramic bearing. At least I could find none at the IMS Retrofit web site and other sites offering info/details on the retrofit bearing. The splash lubrication the open bearing receives from whatever engine oil is used appears to be quite adequate. There shouldn't be much if any difference in oils needs otherwise to meet he special needs to the hybrid bearing one could be faced with using an oil that might compromise the rest of the engine's oil needs.

I found interesting though I did find several cautions about using a forced oiling solution, basically the forced oiling/direct feed solution should not be used.

Also, I find it hard to agree with a bearing change at every clutch job. For one thing this is an artificial schedule as clutch wear and life has no bearing (no pun intended) on IMS bearing life.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:45 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Here is a link of 19 pages that goes into great detail on the subject and related issues.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxst...sign-idea.html
Old 07-15-2014, 01:29 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Very interesting theories ! (reading the "Pelican forum" link)
The single side seal (bearing would be lubricated by splashes from the crank side) could explain why the engines/cars that have been driven hard would have less chances to fail, ..than the ones driven by "calm grandfa’s" !

Well, as it looks to be a "rear & longitudinal" effect, I mean may be, "accelerations", or better, at this state, it would be interesting to know the inside dynamics of the oil movements, i.e.: which movement do create the best splashes ?

And trying to create these on purpose, on a regular base, this like any track driver would never exit a track without making the last or so laps using minimal power and brake, but maximum air, to cool down as much as possible. ..Or, like any 2 stroke go-kart driver would not remember to clog the air intake with his hand, without lifting right feet, when braking, to increase lubrication at ends of straight lines (to have the engine sucking max gasoline mix in order to extra lubricate and cool !)

Or the question : What driving behavior with a M96 would to help splashes on the IMS bearing ??
Old 07-15-2014, 04:29 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Buried in the 19 pages was a suggestion that ceramic bearings of the correct grade(Ball surface/hardness) would get adequate lubrication from splash/oil mist ,presumably with an inner seal only.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:57 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

If Jake is reading the post, he may chime in, and tell us.
But, it could be possible that the technology/concept used, is kept "secret" (each installer would for sure know), i.e.: only one seal on the outside, and splashes/mist lubed, or : (??? I doubt) one seal on each side, and pre-lubed, ..for the life time of the ***** !
By the way, if lubed by splashes, I get the feeling with these double row kit, the inside (crank side) ..should get more lube, ..than the row that is on the clutch side !!!

Definitively a strange design !

I was writing on another topic (Panamera), as my car got the very infamous "coolant pipes blow up" known pretty much by all V8 Cayenne owners, that having this problem (with our Cayenne some years ago). Getting it again with the Panamera was making me thinking that the German engineers are not making the same progresses as the German soccer players !!

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 07-15-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:02 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

My understanding is the expected/recommended life of the ceramic bearings varies according to the number of rows (1, 1.5, 2), the materials used and the cleanliness of the oil.

The lube for the LN bearings (which are all one seal) is immersion/splash/residue at start and mist underway.

I'm assuming that the recommendations for the single row bearing are conservative (the whole point is to save the engine after all) while the current expectation of the LN double row is virtually lifetime. The double for single row (really about 1.5 rows in terms of bearing surfaces) should be somewhere in between but there are few of them installed so the data is a little sparse. (I don't believe a few test cases proves much at this early stage of deployment.)

Watching the forums. I haven't seen a bunch of late in the use life failures, most reports are very early implying some variation at installation (improper installations or contamination). You could always see failure in any bearing at any time in it use life due to contaminants from another failure.

I've never seen any info on how much lube a row farthest from the open seal gets but it must be enough based on the lack of reported failures. Interesting conjecture. Now how would you measure that?

Quick Reply: change IMS single row to new double row kit