Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 11:34 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

In the machine shop we used to chill parts in a tub of acetone with dry ice. Heating the other part is good, but 450F is a bit high. You want to avoid heating the part so hot that it loses its temper. We used to keep the temperature below 250F.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:11 PM
3_Angels
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission repair

2002 Boxster S transmission rebuild. I haven't located the clear sealant for closing up the transmission case. The clutch plate looked like it could use replacing. A kit including both the clutch plate and the pressure plate was not that much more than just the clutch plate alone, so I ordered the kit. Then I tested the dual mass flywheel and it performed poorly, so I ordered a new one of those. Heck, now as long as I'm in there for that much money and work, I might as well replace the IMS bearing. We have now purchased a DOF (direct oil feed) kit from TuneRS [ http://shop.tunersmotorsports.com/?p...05-early-style ] and a set of tools from LN engineering http://lnengineering.com/products/im...-retrofit.html . This will take us a bit longer to install, but it should maximize the fun content.

Last edited by 3_Angels; 06-30-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:22 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Jim,
Thanks for the update. If it is any consolation I followed exactly your path with the DMF+clutch kit .Don't total up the complete cost ! On the while-you-in-there thing -you forgot the clutch slave cylinder ?:-)
When you get a chance it would be great to know of your sources for Instructions on tear-down / reassembly and the gearbox bearings and 2nd gear parts.
Good luck with the remainder of the job and looking forward to the next episode.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:20 AM
3_Angels
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Jim,
Thanks for the update. If it is any consolation I followed exactly your path with the DMF+clutch kit .Don't total up the complete cost ! On the while-you-in-there thing -you forgot the clutch slave cylinder ?:-)
When you get a chance it would be great to know of your sources for Instructions on tear-down / reassembly and the gearbox bearings and 2nd gear parts.
Good luck with the remainder of the job and looking forward to the next episode.
Here is the title of the PDF I chose to follow: 2002BoxsterSTransmissionRebuildDecember2011Revision3.pdf

It can currently be found at:

http://itguynetworks.com/articles/bo...1Revision3.pdf

If you think to do this, I have learned some lessons that were probably assumed knowledge by the more experienced transmission guys. You can PM me if you want to attempt this easy fix. I think the "glue" to put the rear case back sealed is "Sealing Compound - Loctite 574 50 ml Tube". We will give GBox up in Colorado a ring on Monday to be sure. GBox routinely rebuilds Porsche transmissions far beyond the simple second gear stack pull I am attempting.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:32 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Jim,
That write up is fantastic. It indicates why so few general transmission shops want to 'try' our gearbox .The amusing question is :will I send my gearbox out for rebuilding before I start the job ,or after I make a complete mess of it and have to beg for help and still send it out ?
It will be very interesting to hear your impressions of Gbox.
I have a (foolish?) idea that these gearboxes could benefit from a cooler(for the sealed bearings) .I think the GT3 uses one?But that still leaves is with the weak 2nd gear issue.Perhaps Gbox have a suggestion? There is a company in U.K. that claims to have a fix for both issues.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:26 AM
3_Angels
Intermediate

Loctite 574 arrived this afternoon. Transmission is reassembled torqued to 18 ft-lbs. DOF IMS bearing when an install kit arrives and then back on the road again!
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2014, 09:27 PM
3_Angels
Intermediate

Drying the transmission in the sun after cleaning up a bit.
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2014, 01:06 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

I was interested in the mechanical aspect of this project.But displaying your car parts in public to annoy the neighbors on the 4th is priceless!
So did you get anywhere with GBox ,or did you just do everything yourselves?
Old 07-05-2014, 03:34 AM
3_Angels
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
I was interested in the mechanical aspect of this project.But displaying your car parts in public to annoy the neighbors on the 4th is priceless!
So did you get anywhere with GBox ,or did you just do everything yourselves?
Rob ext233 at Pelican had me call GBox to ask which sealant they use for sealing the tailpiece of the transmission. GBox uses and recommends Loctite 574. If anyone is seriously planning on doing this fix there are some maybe not obvious things to do carefully. After removing the tail housing, the shift retard roller pin and spring need to come out. The detent ***** and springs for both the reverse sleeve and the 1 - 2 sleeve shifting arms need to come out. A quality 8" (like sears) puller is sufficient. You can make a pull point either like shown in the original work, or like the one a friend made for me. The sleeve for reverse should be clipped to reverse with a 2 very large paper clamps before pulling (springs ***** and carriers won't fly across the room) When reassembling the shifting forks smooth the sharp edges of the rods and note the the hole alignments are not exactly symmetric (they can be installed backwards)
Old 08-27-2014, 10:03 PM
3_Angels
Intermediate

We rebuilt the transmission successfully. Fingers are crossed. The transmission shifts smoothly in all gears and stays in the selected gear.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:32 AM
Wanderer
Rennlist Member

How did this turn out? I am contemplating a rebuild on a 466 from a Cayman S. There are induction heaters specifically for removing and installing gears and bearings to avoid having to press fit. I am still researching them.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:33 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Default 6 speed gearbox diy

The other tool required is an unusual 2 leg puller .The only confirmed suitable puller is made by Kukko.It has "slender" arms :
http://www.handsontools.com/Kukko-Mo...FZSFfgodVEwJhA
The induction heater suggestion may be very useful because a cheaper,generic puller with slender arms may be able to pull the gears off the shaft,if they are heated ?
The subject of rebuilding the 6 speed begs for a comprehensive DIY write up. The pdf by 3_Angles remains the best resource so far ?

Last edited by Schnell Gelb; 11-21-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:39 AM
Wanderer
Rennlist Member

Where can I find the PDF write-up?
Old 07-20-2016, 11:20 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

The link to that pdf is dead.
Suggest you contact the author,Forum member 3_Angels for a good link or a copy.
To my knowledge, their diy Posts are by far the best write up ever posted here.
If anyone has a better source, please post it for others to use.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:17 PM
AR|Groundzero
Track Day

Received 26 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Status Update

I wanted to give an update from my transmission rebuild back in December of 2011. Well....I have put about 30k miles on it since then and race it several times a year. Everything is perfect and gearbox has never felt better.

So I noticed that the link to my article is no longer working. I moved the file to dropbox and here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hudd88qabt...n%204.pdf?dl=0

Hope this helps anyone in need. If you have any specific questions please feel free to send me a message or an email @ gjackson@itguynetworks.com

Thank you.

Quick Reply: Transmission repair