Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67/)
-   -   need advice fast!! (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/820600-need-advice-fast.html)

holtzy822 06-18-2014 04:13 PM

need advice fast!!

I'm going to look at this car but I have no idea what to look for. I know 944s just not 986s

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4516042758.html

amagalla 06-18-2014 04:37 PM

Get a PPI. That should tell you everything you need to know. Do a search for a Porsche indie in Sac or Roseville, and have them look at it. It will normally take a few hours.

holtzy822 06-18-2014 05:17 PM

Im paying 4k for the car so I dont think ill do a PPI. I fairly familiar with porsches but the only thing im worried about is IMS.. I'm a 944 guy so IMS really scares me. more so than the 944s that burst into flames randomly. I want to get the pelican parts IMS replacement in but how big of a job is that?

terbiumactivated 06-18-2014 05:25 PM

Just check under it for ANY oil leaks, run it, ride in it, go over it with a bright light at angles and look for overspray or bodywork scratches and there's your poor mans PPI. At that price it's hard to think you are going to get hurt, it looks properly cared for, check all the records. You could borrow a code reader and check that too. Porsche wheels are easy to see through, run your hand over all the rotors front and back, do all that and at least you gave yourself a better chance at a good result without paying for a PPI on a low cost car. Finally, if it were me and I was that concerned with the IMS I'd budget it into my negotiations on price and have it put in, then change it with every clutch, simple. I made that same jump from a 944 to a 986, I think you will love the six, the sound alone at high RPM is amazing and the car is very agile and IMO feels faster than a '44.

amagalla 06-18-2014 05:26 PM

It's a dual chase bearing, so the failure rates seem to be lower. For 4k, you're almost paying for a roller. The IMS is behind the flywheel, so you'll have to take the transmission off and the flywheel. You should also get the LM IMS removal tool kit as well (if you're doing the job yourself). If you're having an indie do it, then you should consider changing the clutch (and possibly the flywheel as well) since he'll have to take if off anyways.

holtzy822 06-18-2014 07:01 PM

ill be doing it myself... I have a guy down the street with a lift for a bunch of corvettes. knowing that the dual row has the lower failure rates is nice. is changing the clutch on the 986 the same nightmare as the 944? or better lol

GVA-SFO 06-18-2014 07:11 PM

IMO, I would do two more checks :
Go and buy an oil filter, then, remove the current one, put the new on in, ..and dismount the one that was in position. You have to cut it, to see the inside of the "paper", inspect very accurately that there is NO metal particles in the filter. If any (particles), my strong advise would be: ..keep the money, and run !
Another test that I would do, but it requires a stop at a dealer is : Connect a "Piwis" and make a reading of the engine ECU, ..to make sure that the engine has no "R2" (very high RPM, created i.e.: by misshifts). If it has "R1", then, IMO, no problem. (mine has a lot, and I did not worry about these "R1s" !
(you can read my post, i.e.: "PIWIS reading, lots of R1 & only a very few R2, then what ?? ..I bought it !"
Good luck on your purchase, these Boxster are simply fabulous cars, I love mine, (..after 30 years of 911, non stop as daily).

amagalla 06-18-2014 07:13 PM

I can only guess that it's harder because of the cramped space and all the stuff that has to come off before you can even get to the transmission (the exhaust, the half shafts, all the support members), but who knows.

Tony

JayG 06-19-2014 01:13 AM

You can also use a durametric to get the ECU info and it is not supposed to burn a VIN on the enthusiast version