Odd Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 10:47 AM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Starting Problem

2001 Base Boxster. This problem has just recently popped up. In the morning I will go out to start the car and when I turn the key the engine will turn over and attempt to run, but will not fully start up and when I release the key the engine dies. This will happen 6-8 times and then the engine will completely start. After that it starts and runs fine for the rest of the day and then it happens again the next morning. Not sure where to start with trouble shooting this problem. I'm wondering if this might be a result of some check valve failure that allows the gas to drain out of the injector lines over night?
Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 06-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt V
2001 Base Boxster. This problem has just recently popped up. In the morning I will go out to start the car and when I turn the key the engine will turn over and attempt to run, but will not fully start up and when I release the key the engine dies. This will happen 6-8 times and then the engine will completely start. After that it starts and runs fine for the rest of the day and then it happens again the next morning. Not sure where to start with trouble shooting this problem. I'm wondering if this might be a result of some check valve failure that allows the gas to drain out of the injector lines over night?
Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reads more like a fuel pump (or relay) problem. But how to confirm this and eliminate something else -- though I'm still not sure what else it could be -- I can't say.

Maybe carefully listen to the pump -- have the front trunk lid open, and the pump exposed by removing the covers/panels -- when you go to start the car when the starting problem appears.

Then again after you know it will not appear.

What I'm thinking is you'll not hear the pump when there is a starting problem, or it will sound different, erratic, or intermittent compared to what the starting problem does not appear.

There'll be a marked difference. You may have to enlist the help of a friend so you can be right over the fuel pump. Be sure the A/C is off so there is no chance the radiator fans will come on and interfere with your listening to the fuel pump.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:28 PM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

I thought fuel pump or relay, but why would it only take place after the car has been sitting over 8 hours or so?
Old 06-12-2014, 08:23 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

is it cranking over normal ? batt age ? listen for fuel pump
Old 06-12-2014, 09:47 AM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by extanker
is it cranking over normal ? batt age ? listen for fuel pump
Yep, cranking is normal. Battery is less than a year old and is fully charged. This weekend I will try and check out the fuel pump.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:44 AM
Macster
Race Director

I thought fuel pump or relay, but why would it only take place after the car has been sitting over 8 hours or so?
That is a good question but unfortunately I do not have a good answer. All I can offer at this time is I don't know.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:09 PM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just wanted to do a follow up. More research indicated possible dirty MAF sensor leading to the problem. So last Saturday I replaced the MAF sensor. Old sensor was quite filthy. Also removed and cleaned the throttle body. The intake was coated in a dirt/oil film. Possibly from the after market K&N air filter. Replaced with OEM filter. Also replaced the spark plugs and spark plug tubes. Car is running great!
Old 07-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Just wanted to do a follow up. More research indicated possible dirty MAF sensor leading to the problem. So last Saturday I replaced the MAF sensor. Old sensor was quite filthy. Also removed and cleaned the throttle body. The intake was coated in a dirt/oil film. Possibly from the after market K&N air filter. Replaced with OEM filter. Also replaced the spark plugs and spark plug tubes. Car is running great!
Good work.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:20 PM
DennisAN
Advanced

I replaced the MAF sensor. Old sensor was quite filthy. Also removed and cleaned the throttle body. The intake was coated in a dirt/oil film. Possibly from the after market K&N air filter. Replaced with OEM filter.
All those "oiled" air filter elements were designed for carbureted cars, or early fuel injection cars. They will deposit oil on the "hot wire" of a MAF and make it not work. I've been there - done that.

A spray can of CRC brand MAF sensor cleaner, about $5 at WalMart, does wonders.

Quick Reply: Odd Starting Problem