Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd Starting Problem

 
Old 06-11-2014, 10:47 AM
  #1  
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Kurt V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 256
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Starting Problem

2001 Base Boxster. This problem has just recently popped up. In the morning I will go out to start the car and when I turn the key the engine will turn over and attempt to run, but will not fully start up and when I release the key the engine dies. This will happen 6-8 times and then the engine will completely start. After that it starts and runs fine for the rest of the day and then it happens again the next morning. Not sure where to start with trouble shooting this problem. I'm wondering if this might be a result of some check valve failure that allows the gas to drain out of the injector lines over night?
Any suggestions? Thanks!
Kurt V is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 11:34 AM
  #2  
Macster
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 17,936
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kurt V View Post
2001 Base Boxster. This problem has just recently popped up. In the morning I will go out to start the car and when I turn the key the engine will turn over and attempt to run, but will not fully start up and when I release the key the engine dies. This will happen 6-8 times and then the engine will completely start. After that it starts and runs fine for the rest of the day and then it happens again the next morning. Not sure where to start with trouble shooting this problem. I'm wondering if this might be a result of some check valve failure that allows the gas to drain out of the injector lines over night?
Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reads more like a fuel pump (or relay) problem. But how to confirm this and eliminate something else -- though I'm still not sure what else it could be -- I can't say.

Maybe carefully listen to the pump -- have the front trunk lid open, and the pump exposed by removing the covers/panels -- when you go to start the car when the starting problem appears.

Then again after you know it will not appear.

What I'm thinking is you'll not hear the pump when there is a starting problem, or it will sound different, erratic, or intermittent compared to what the starting problem does not appear.

There'll be a marked difference. You may have to enlist the help of a friend so you can be right over the fuel pump. Be sure the A/C is off so there is no chance the radiator fans will come on and interfere with your listening to the fuel pump.
Macster is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 05:28 PM
  #3  
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Kurt V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 256
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I thought fuel pump or relay, but why would it only take place after the car has been sitting over 8 hours or so?
Kurt V is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 08:23 AM
  #4  
extanker
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,184
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

is it cranking over normal ? batt age ? listen for fuel pump
extanker is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 09:47 AM
  #5  
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Kurt V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 256
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by extanker View Post
is it cranking over normal ? batt age ? listen for fuel pump
Yep, cranking is normal. Battery is less than a year old and is fully charged. This weekend I will try and check out the fuel pump.
Kurt V is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 11:44 AM
  #6  
Macster
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 17,936
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kurt V View Post
I thought fuel pump or relay, but why would it only take place after the car has been sitting over 8 hours or so?
That is a good question but unfortunately I do not have a good answer. All I can offer at this time is I don't know.
Macster is offline  
Old 07-02-2014, 03:09 PM
  #7  
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Kurt V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 256
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Just wanted to do a follow up. More research indicated possible dirty MAF sensor leading to the problem. So last Saturday I replaced the MAF sensor. Old sensor was quite filthy. Also removed and cleaned the throttle body. The intake was coated in a dirt/oil film. Possibly from the after market K&N air filter. Replaced with OEM filter. Also replaced the spark plugs and spark plug tubes. Car is running great!
Kurt V is offline  
Old 07-02-2014, 03:26 PM
  #8  
Macster
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 17,936
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kurt V View Post
Just wanted to do a follow up. More research indicated possible dirty MAF sensor leading to the problem. So last Saturday I replaced the MAF sensor. Old sensor was quite filthy. Also removed and cleaned the throttle body. The intake was coated in a dirt/oil film. Possibly from the after market K&N air filter. Replaced with OEM filter. Also replaced the spark plugs and spark plug tubes. Car is running great!
Good work.
Macster is offline  
Old 07-02-2014, 09:20 PM
  #9  
DennisAN
User
 
DennisAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 94
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kurt V View Post
I replaced the MAF sensor. Old sensor was quite filthy. Also removed and cleaned the throttle body. The intake was coated in a dirt/oil film. Possibly from the after market K&N air filter. Replaced with OEM filter.
All those "oiled" air filter elements were designed for carbureted cars, or early fuel injection cars. They will deposit oil on the "hot wire" of a MAF and make it not work. I've been there - done that.

A spray can of CRC brand MAF sensor cleaner, about $5 at WalMart, does wonders.
DennisAN is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Odd Starting Problem


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: