Sponsored by:

First Post w/pics ..and a question or two

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 03:17 PM
RamJet986S
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Post w/pics ..and a question or two

Can someone run a Carfax for me? ...just kidding, settle down. I did read the the Forum Guidelines post.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I purchased my first Porsche - a 2002 Boxster S, 6-sp w/ 29k miiles. Pics are below. It's been a pure joy to drive so far, I'm very happy with it.

I've been cruising this forum for the past few weeks and have found a lot of good information using the "Search" function on this site, but wanted to throw out a few questions I was not able to get a clear answer on:

1) How do I integrate my iPhone 5s into the stock audio system? I have the Touring package with the Bose system and would like to leave the stock head unit. Besides a "tape adapter" are their any other reasonable options?

2) What is the part number for the removable wind screen between the two headrests? The one it came with has one of the clips broken and I wanted to replace it. I clicked through all the parts on rockauto and was not able to find this part. Anyone have an extra or parting out a 986?

3) Tires are original. Rear are about done but fronts have plenty of wear left. Should I be concerned that they are 12 years old?

Any other n00b advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-09-2014, 03:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Very nice looking car.

Regarding the tires, yes, you should be concerned if indeed the tires are 12 years old. Porsche considers the tires past their use by date after 6 years.

Do not take this lightly. Recently there was an accident involving a C-GT and it was found to be on IIRC 10 year old tires and the tires it is believed contributed to the accident, which resulted in the death of the driver (and experienced driver) and his passenger.

Anyhow, my advice would be to replace all 4 tires and if the rear tire were is uneven across the tread face has the car given a proper alignment.

Check the radiator ducts for trash build up and the body water drains.

There are two (or 3) in the front of the car ahead of the windshield -- under the front trunk lid on either side of the battery. The battery cover and the panels on either side have to come off. There are two under the clam shell one on either side of the top.

Treat the water drain basins with care and gentleness. You do not want to break the plastic as this will result in a water leak than can have water getting into the cabin.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:35 PM
Verrückt
AutoX

Flood damage, rolled back odometer, salvage title, and confiscated in a prostitution scandal. Sorry.

On the bright side, those tires are ripe to be burned off in a smokey haze of burnouts and donuts. I might know just the place.

Last edited by Verrückt; 05-09-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:41 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello, congrats on the Boxster and welcome to RL.

Nice find of a low mile S car. If it's Seal gray it's just like mine. I love mine. Have for almost ten years now.

I don't know about your #1 and #2, but for #3, yes you should be concerned about 12 year old tires. Believe most tire pros will tell you they are timed out at 6 years. You're twice that. You need new tires today. Should be a big improvement in grip when the new rubber gets put on.

Good luck and enjoy your new sporty car. You picked a nice one!
Old 05-09-2014, 04:12 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome and congratulations Looks to be in great condition. I believe the part number your looking for is 9865613210101C and for the clip kit it's 98656132300, for more information Click Here.

Last edited by ECS Tuning; 05-09-2014 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:01 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

About the clips for the central wind stopper, it is a piece of cake to change them.
"Normally", that part that brake are the wind stopper side (perspex glass), and it is just a clip, ("2 sec." install).
Easy to find the parts online, i.e.: on eBay.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:12 PM
RamJet986S
7th Gear

After only a few hundred miles I now have a softball-size oil leak overnight. Geez...
Old 05-14-2014, 01:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by RamJet986S
After only a few hundred miles I now have a softball-size oil leak overnight. Geez...
Probably RMS. That's a tranny out job.

My 02 Boxster developed an RMS leak at around 25K miles. Covered under warranty.

Had this recently done in my Turbo and it cost $1700. Almost all labor.

While there the SOP is to replace the IMS end flange and bolts with new/improved design which has a better seal (3-ribbed vs. the original single o-ring) and micro-sealed bolts. These are under water, err make that oil some of the time and the oil can seep past the threads and this is just as much of a leak as if the oil came past the seal.

You'll have to decide if you want to go further and replace the IMSB.

'course, your trusted tech will have to make the actual diagnosis. Where the oil spot is in relationship to the car is important.

Also, of course, the tech will give the car/engine a through inspection just in case the oil is coming from some other location. It could be a leaking AOS, camshaft cover, or some other item.

Quick Reply: First Post w/pics ..and a question or two