Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Play

Old 04-15-2014, 08:42 AM
filastein
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Play

Finally got a garage lift and one of the first things I find is that with the wheels cranked all the way to the left, there is some play when I move the tire with my hands at 3 & 9 o'clock. The only thing I can see is that the steering rack is moving with the tire. None of the bushings or ball joints shows any sign of wear or leakage.

I haven't tried the wheels either straight or to the right as they're 'locked' to the left right now but will try those positions when I get home tonight.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:06 AM
landrovered
Intermediate

There is a distinct difference between the feel of steering movement and bearing looseness. Bearing looseness has a hard stop to it, steering movement has a more viscous feel and you can hear the steering hit the column lock. In my experience front end wander is more likely to be the result of a bad ball joint or bushing on your bottom control arm than a bearing. If you have roar the. Look at your bearings otherwise look to the things that influence geometry.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Could be normal. You are doing this with the engine off thus the power steering system is not under pressure. There has to be some play in the steering hardware and you may just be experiencing it.

If you are worried based on the way the car feels, steers or sounds or just want piece of mind a trained tech can check the car out -- first a road test and then on the rack -- and advise you if there's anything amiss.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:49 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

May be normal. Both my 986 and 987 when on the lift, hands at 9 and 3, the wheels will rock just a small amount. Not fully loose as there is some resistance but the wheel will move a little each way in the steering direction. Moving the hands to 12 and 6, there is no detectable play in the bearings or suspension joints. 986 has 65k mi and all original components. 987 has 20k mi. they feel the same.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:56 PM
filastein
Intermediate

Update: Got home and turned the ignition on - play was about the same. Started the car and, as Macster pointed out, the pressure in the system took up all the slack, so no problems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front End Play