Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Project Clubsport" a '97 2.5 build

Old 04-18-2014, 07:02 AM
Rennzenn
User

Yeah, lots of small things do tend to add up. As I mentioned earlier, I'm now at 2700 lbs. I bet my car was 3100 stock.
Here's a list of the big items:
Stock muffler swapped for Borla
Cat less headers
Top, transmissions, motor, and hardware gone
Full power seats swapped for fiberglass shells
Rear spoiler and motor gone
Fiberglass trunk lid w/ aluminum pins
CF hood w/ aluminum pins
A/C and condensers and lines gone
Washer reservoir gone
All carpet and sound deadening gone
Battery swapped for smaller model; battery tray swapped for acrylic sheet
Radio and amp swapped for small amp& iPhone
Carrera LW wheels/ Nitto tires
LW flywheel

If I get a trailer, I'll ditch the door windows and motors, wipers and motor, and go with a Lexan windshield. I've seen spec Boxsters at 2500#, and that's my goal
Old 04-30-2014, 03:40 PM
Turb-OH Brad
User

I'll have some more updates soon, but for now just a question.

Does anyone know the minimum Cold Cranking Amps needed to start a 2.5 flat-six in about 60 degree weather? I'm looking at a super lightweight battery (less than a pound), but it has super low CCAs.

If anyone could tell me, that'd be super helpful.

Thanks,

Brad
Old 05-05-2014, 04:39 PM
insite
User

do you mind using a battery tender, or can you go without? if you do NOT want to use one, get the deka ETX30L (20.7LB). if you don't mind using a battery tender, you can use the ETX14L (12.0LB).

deka makes braille batteries. same core, different case, 1/5 the price.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:41 PM
Turb-OH Brad
User

Last night was a night of progress. I'm getting pretty good at removing the center console and putting it back in.

First, I started with the short shift kit installation.

Step 1 - Remove center console

Step 2 - Mark the spot where the cables exit the shifter assembly. Detach cables.

Step 3 - Remove shifter base and install short shift components.

I was lucky in that the used Agency Power shifter I purchased was already installed in a good OEM base.

For 250 dollars, I got this piece, and this piece, already mounted in the factory housing. Plus, I didn't have to pay shipping, tax, or have to wait for it to arrive, and I didn't have to install the shifter components in the base.

Luckily, I was driving through the bay area on my way to Laguna Seca last weekend, so Saturday morning, I picked it up from Spyder_Man! Nice guy, great price, pretty good product! And people say Porsche guys are jerks...

Step 4 - Reinstall cables

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...66913980_n.jpg

Step 5 - Admire the shiny bits before you cover them back up with the center console.

The shifter, after a short drive to work this morning, is fantastic. The shifts are much shorter, and the engagement is much more positive. Where the old shifter could just flop into gear, the new one feels "chunkier" if that can be described as a good thing. It feels almost like a gated shifter now, and I like it. It'll be interesting to give the thing a workout in the mountains this weekend.

While the center console was out, I picked up a few of these buggers.

And some of these.

In an effort to clean up my audio install from last month, I shortened some of the cables, soldered in a stronger USB outlet with space for 2 cables, and rerouted some wires around the shifter base.

I was using an aging Moto Droid 4, and recently upgraded to a new Samsung Galaxy S5. The problem is that the Droid used a micro-USB charger, and the S5 uses a USB 3.0 charger. The significant-other's new phone still uses micro-USB, though, so I had to keep that ability.

I also picked up a micro-USB to Apple 30 pin so that I can charge my old ipod.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:59 PM
Turb-OH Brad
User

Not much to add. I installed a decal from Blipshift last night!

And my 2 pound battery arrived from Amazon today. I'll see if I can't get that installed in the next couple of days. It'll be nice to have all of that weight off the front of the car.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:26 AM
insite
User

2lb battery? what did you get?
Old 05-14-2014, 12:35 PM
Turb-OH Brad
User

Originally Posted by insite View Post
2lb battery? what did you get?

Here is a friend's picture of the same battery shown with a soda bottle for scale.

I just need to figure out how to securely mount it in the box.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:13 PM
Turb-OH Brad
User

Took the old battery out.

Popped the new battery in.

Starts the car without issue. Charges without issue. Saves 37 pounds.

Not bad, IMHO.

Final install pictures will be loaded later tonight.

Last edited by Turb-OH Brad; 05-16-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Turb-OH Brad
User

Here's how it works.

And here's how big it is...
Old 05-16-2014, 05:07 PM
insite
User

wow! $140 on amazon. i think the OEM LiOn is like $1200. let us know how it works long term. VERY interesting.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:25 PM
Turb-OH Brad
User

Originally Posted by insite View Post
wow! $140 on amazon. i think the OEM LiOn is like $1200. let us know how it works long term. VERY interesting.
I don't foresee any issues, but I will certainly keep you all apprised of the situation.

LiFe batteries have been used in motorcycle applications for a couple of years now (that's what this battery was intended for). I haven't seen anyone complaining that they don't work, or have diminished battery life over longer periods of time. LiFe is pretty stable, and with this brand's integral cell-balancer, it should have a very long use life.

So far, the only downside I see is that they aren't recommended for use under 15 degrees F. I still have my old battery, so if it gets too cold to use this battery, I can quickly swap it out for the old lead-acid.

The battery cells will naturally warm themselves during discharge, so supposedly if you turn the key on for a minute before cranking the engine, the battery will still provide enough juice. I guess we'll see come November...
Old 05-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Turb-OH Brad
User

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-BTL14A240C-Lithium-Phosphate/dp/B00F9LPJ8S http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-BTL14A240C-Lithium-Phosphate/dp/B00F9LPJ8S

Here's a link to the battery I used. If you want some added peace of mind, you can probably use the slightly heavier (and slightly more expensive) 300, 360, or 480 cold crank amp versions also available on Amazon.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:23 PM
Spyder_Man
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Brad,

I'm just getting caught up to speed on your 986 CS project. Great work so far! I hope the SSK treats you well for many thousands of miles ahead. Let me know when you're ready for my OEM Aerokit 1 wing.

I definitely still have a soft spot for the 986. Don't tell the boys over in the air-cooled forums, but I'd be damn tempted to sell my '95 993 and return to the water-cooled world for this beautiful custom 986 Spyder. (I was tempted back when it had its 2.7L engine. Now with a 3.6L inside...)

Name:  PICT7060.jpg
Views: 2937
Size:  117.8 KB

Perhaps you can get some inspiration from this build. I'd still like to see someone come up with some good CS/RS-style door panels for the 9X6 models.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Turb-OH Brad
User

Hey, thanks!

That shifter works great, by the way. I love the chunky feel to it, for sure!

An RS style door panel would be fantastic, and I'm crazy enough that I might just try to make it work. If I can figure out a way to adapt a manual window-winder, I might do that, too. Haven't taken the door panels off to investigate yet, but I'm taking the door speakers out this weekend, so I'll have a look under the skin to see what is in there that doesn't need to be!
Old 05-21-2014, 02:40 PM
Turb-OH Brad
User

Forgot to update with these minor changes -

Factory amp removed - 2 pounds 8 ounces

Tool roll removed - 2 pounds 4 ounces

Owner's manual removed - 2 pounds

Various hardware - 9 ounces

Spare tire and tools removal - 29 pounds 9 ounces

(no picture)

Total weight removed last weekend - 36.875 pounds

Add in the weight removed from the battery swap, and the center console/radio delete, it's already down over 80 pounds!

The driver is down about 30 pounds, so together the ensemble is 110 pounds lighter!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Project Clubsport" a '97 2.5 build

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: