Sponsored by:

2001 Boxster S engine rebuild/ replace

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 11:58 PM
luthir2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Boxster S engine rebuild/ replace

Hello, new Boxster owner, bought a really nice S which has isms. What's the best/cheapest place to source a good used engine or get a rebuilt block? Next, would I be crazy if I attempted to rebuild it myself? What is ameough cost of a rebuild kit ?

Thanks for any knowledge and advice!
Regards,
Old 03-26-2014, 05:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by luthir2
Hello, new Boxster owner, bought a really nice S which has isms. What's the best/cheapest place to source a good used engine or get a rebuilt block? Next, would I be crazy if I attempted to rebuild it myself? What is ameough cost of a rebuild kit ?

Thanks for any knowledge and advice!
Regards,
Are you sure of the diagnosis? Even if the diagnosis is correct the engine does not have to be scrap. I've seen a 996 engine with a failed IMSB torn down and its suitability for a "rebuild" verified then cases cleaned and a new IMS and IMSB installed and at least one cam chain rail replaced (the floppy chain busted some of the plastic padding material loose) and successfully put back on the road. A tech at a local (SF bay area) Porsche dealer did the work.

If the engine is scrap, a used engine can be had from a number of businesses that specialize in the salvage/parting out of Porsches. Note if the engine is scrap you probably will not get any core credit for those businesses that require a core in exchange for an engine.

How good the used engine is is harder to determine. Ideally one would like to hear the thing run, or at least run a compression test/leak down test, before buying.

Sourcing the engine from a business that offered some kind of warranty -- say the engine proved to be just crap out of the crate (so to speak) and being able to get your money back or exchange for another engine -- would be recommended.

Check out ads in Panorama and Excellence for names of businesses that you could source a used engine from.

Also check out ads for businesses that offer engine rebuilding services.

A few owners have done a "rebuild". You'll have to do a search for the threads and read up on the process. There are some tricky areas but if you read enough of the threads I think you'll identify where those are and how to best deal with them.

I'd not make the Porsche engine my first engine rebuild, though I'm sure someone somewhere has and was successful. (We probably do not hear from those that were unsuccessful, but that's to be expected.)

AFAIK there are no "rebuild" kits available, at least as I recall rebuild kits of several decades ago when I rebuilt a few engines. I believe the parts necessary to rebuild the engine are available. But until one puts in an order for say a new crankshaft (just an example) one won't know if it is available or not.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:02 PM
luthir2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macster, thanks for the advice. I am going to pull it and have a look. I have done rebuilds in the past (30 yrs) it should be like riding a bike.

Thanks again, I will post some of my experience.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:58 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

You'll need to buy or make a few special parts/tools but if your competent it can be done.

The trickiest part is the blind piston circlip

Mike
Old 04-02-2014, 06:41 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

your local auto used parts yard may/should have a hot line to other salvage yards. jake raby in GA seems to be the go to source for a rebuilt motor. i would not advise rebuilding it yourself.

Quick Reply: 2001 Boxster S engine rebuild/ replace