Sponsored by:

DE Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 11:08 PM
KurtF
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DE Advice

I recently purchused a 2000 Boxster S in which I plan to use primarily for track and DE events (non-competitive). With the optional hardtop fitted, is it then safe to use the car with the standard roll bars? I know with the convertible top most folks fit roll bar extensions, I would think with the hard top that might be overkill. Any suggestions.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:05 AM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it depends on what you're expecting regarding roll over protection. I believe you're fine to run with no extension with any sanctioning body with a hard top fitted- though if I were you and setting up my car for mostly DE/track use, I'd be fitting seats & harnesses. If after the install of seats & harnesses the top of my helmet is above the factory roll bar- I'd fit a BK (or comparable) extension. The height of the roll bar is especially important when you're securely mounted as you are with harnesses. Any aftermarket roll bar in a coupe hugs the roofline for good reason.... If you're 5'8 and have plenty of room above your helmet I wouldn't worry- but if you're 6'0 like me- it's cheap insurance. I have an '03 S with the BK extension FYI.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:50 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Depends on your height and the track, too; you need to be able to pass a broomstick test with your helmet on, which is difficult for most of us due to how short the hoops are. Also, some tracks (like VIR) require the BK rollbar extension because of risk that the factory hoop rollbars can sink in soft dirt- they want to see the straight bar. I don't think hard or soft top makes a difference, but it may boil down to individual track rules. If this is primarily a track toy, makes sense to add the bar, just for the extra safety.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:45 PM
KurtF
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all your input. I realize as my track experience grows I will be adding seats, harness and roll cage. In my neck of the woods, most of the guys who have cars so equipped have graduated to racing, as I am still at the yellow/instructor level. The extension bar though makes sense.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:48 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

I have a Boxster S 80-90% drive to track car But I want to keep seats stock What can I do to strap myself in better? Note seats have integrated headrest so not sure how a multi point harness can be done

I've added bk bar and pads.

Thx Mike
Old 02-27-2014, 11:02 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

It seems that some organizers apply the following rules : if you participate to a DE and have "sticky tires", (anything with "R" compound), then, you must have a "BK" type extension bar.
This protection bar is a bit higher, and goes "all the way". I think it makes a lot of sense to "play the game" this way. (Note that you can close the roof, ..with the BK bar in position.
I just bought a Boxster S with the same motivation (DE, AX, etc..) and, ..also bought a BK extension bar.
If you do not like the "asthetic", then, it is quite easy to remove ..after the DE.
(To mount the bar, you also have to remove (unclip) the 2 wind stoppers and remove the plastics "surrounding" the original roll bar.)
Old 02-27-2014, 02:19 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

I started down the path of a 986 Boxster drive-to-track car about a year ago. Added the B-K extension/pads first. Found a used set of GT3 bucket seats, but still marginal for the broomstick test (I'm 6-1). So got the B-K lower seat mounts. Then ready to put in the 6 pts, but found the geometry wrong for the shoulder belts and hans using the oem roll hoops cross bar- too high once I got the helmet clearance right. So then got a harness bar from Stable Energies. It's a Safety devices universal bar that they custom cut to length for the 986. That's where I am now. Getting ready to order the harnesses and hardware. Plus need the B-K sub bars. Found a used hardtop locally for a good price. But my car didn't have the spin locks. Must be about the most overpriced Porsche parts - and that's saying something.

It has turned out a bit more complicated and costly than I thought, but it's a fun little car for DE.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:58 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I started modding my street Boxster S a few years ago, and never stopped. Needless to say she's no longer a street car. :-)
Attached Images   
Old 02-28-2014, 09:40 AM
landrovered
Intermediate

Gorgeous car, looks like one of the Blue Angels!
Old 02-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks. It is such a fun track car!
Old 03-02-2014, 05:51 AM
KurtF
Rennlist Member

Mark, what is the car weight now?
Old 03-02-2014, 08:30 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KurtF
Mark, what is the car weight now?
Around 2800. I'd love to get it even lighter.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:57 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Is the cage made with steel ??
Old 03-04-2014, 10:43 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Around 2800. I'd love to get it even lighter.
Great looking car. Serious cage :-)

Can you ditch the headlights? Or at least remove them for events you don't need them?
Maybe make a simple carbon fibre cover.

How much wiring have you stripped out?

How much of the bumper system is removed behind the fascia?

Can you goto lighter wheels?

What's spec limit 2560???

Mike
Old 03-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
Is the cage made with steel ??
Yup

Quick Reply: DE Advice