Replaced battery, now I dashboard light, locking and alarm issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 03:57 PM
Alan Lake
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced battery, now I dashboard light, locking and alarm issues

Boxster 2003, 986s facelift

Here I go, I hope someone may have an idea how to solve my electrical or computational difficulties. From the start here we go:
had some strange, quirky things happen with the radio, interior lights, signal and horn issues internittently over a period of three months culminising with a complete drain down of the battery. I reacharged the battery on numerous occasions over the past weekt took a charge fine and did not show up as faulty on my CTEK unit. After charging the battery would not have enough cranking power to start the car in the AM.

I suspected the battery drain was due to a faulty electrical switch in the ignition switch. So, I installed a new one, after another recharge I tried the battery one more time, not enough cranking power.
I therefore replaced the battery with a new Bosch s5.
I went through the key procedure, window set, clock, radio etc, all working fine.
Then I started the car, fired up no prob. Great.
However..............
upon switching the ignition off the dashboard lights stay lit.
the traingle PSM warning light stays on, the ABS light stays on. These two lights also stay illuminated whilst driving the car.
if I pull the key out, the dash goes off
but the tiny yellow illuminators (ignition and mirror) stay on
I get out of car, remote will not lack the car or initiate the alarm
Both locks work from the central dashboard locking rocker when in the car
If I lick the driver side door with the key, the passenger door does not lock
also, the alarm does not initialize when locking the door with the key
the tiny yellow illuminators stay on permanently, no matter if left unlacked or locked
when I depress the key fob central locking button the red dash light flashes only whilst depressed, though as I said the doors do not lock, the alarm is not initiated.

Apart from all of that everything is hunky dory.

I was about to pull all the fuses one by one, but after I checked them against the fuse diagram I noticed many fuses incorrectly installed, ie., a 30a fuse in place of a 15a or vise-versa in some places, not all, but prob 50%. I've owned the car a year without a hitch until now, so I pretty sure the fuse placement, whilst incorrect and worrying, is not the issue. Tommorow I'll place all the fuses in the correct ampage slots and check the individual fuses to see if any are blow.

Wow, I've written a book. Sorry.

Does anyone have any idea how I can correct the electrics or computation to rid the problems listed above? I'll be grateful for any replies as I'm flummoxed. Thanks, Alan

Quick Reply: Replaced battery, now I dashboard light, locking and alarm issues