Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about the 996 upgrade, need advice please

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 08:49 AM
craigg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are certainly consistent, HBacura, if nothing else.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:35 AM
Steve Wilwerding
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's sad how this topic has so quickly degenerated. However, it seems that HBacura has bought the wrong car if he is concerned with his 0-60 or quarter mile times. People who are unfamiliar with Porsches always have that criticism - it's not as fast as other cars, $30,000 cars beat the pants off a 911, etc. If that's how you feel about a Porsche, you don't get it. Porsches are not meant to be straight line winners, they are meant to handle superbly. I have yet to drive any non-Porsche car (even modern ones) that have the same driving feel as my 22-year-old 911. I'm sure that Doublenutz's car is even more refined with better handling.

I, for one, think that Doublenutz's car is beautiful. I love the 996, I love the color, I would love to own his car.

HBacura, if straight line speed and looks are all you're interested in, I recommend you take all that money you were going to use to update your Boxster and buy a Corvette or some Japanese tuner. You'll be much happier.

Last edited by Steve Wilwerding; 07-29-2003 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:38 AM
KJM3SMG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Doublenutz car IS beautiful, but we are talking about HBAcura's preferences. And he has answered Dnutz's questions as to why he prefers Boxster over 996 (except Turbo). Dnutz picked apart HBAcura's argument, so HBAcura has the right to give a different perspective.

It is true that Porsches are not a good financial pick for performance compared to other cars like the EVO, but HBAcura did choose the best of both worlds... A Porsche that is not too expensive.. a highly modifiable (sp?) Boxster..

Just like I don't care much for 996s that don't have the Aero kit.. everyone has diff. preferences. But we are all here coz we love Porsches.

--------------------
KJ

CARS FORUM
- general car topics

Cars:
2002 BMW M3 SMG - 19", 8000k HIDs, Formula One tints, Naxxos fogs
2000 Porsche Boxster S - B&M short shifter, Naxxos xenons
Old 07-29-2003, 12:34 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally posted by Steve Wilwerding
It's sad how this topic has so quickly degenerated. However, it seems that HBacura has bought the wrong car if he is concerned with his 0-60 or quarter mile times. People who are unfamiliar with Porsches always have that criticism - it's not as fast as other cars, $30,000 cars beat the pants off a 911, etc. If that's how you feel about a Porsche, you don't get it. Porsches are not meant to be straight line winners, they are meant to handle superbly. I have yet to drive any non-Porsche car (even modern ones) that have the same driving feel as my 22-year-old 911. I'm sure that Doublenutz's car is even more refined with better handling.

I, for one, think that Doublenutz's car is beautiful. I love the 996, I love the color, I would love to own his car.

HBacura, if straight line speed and looks are all you're interested in, I recommend you take all that money you were going to use to update your Boxster and buy a Corvette or some Japanese tuner. You'll be much happier.

Steve, I could not have said that better. Thanks for the compliments on my car. I understand a few things about these $30K cars too, as I purchased one a several months ago- a Nissan 350Z. I drove it for one day and traded it in with the sticker still in the window! I got right back into a Porsche. The 350Z was simply cheap, snap understeered, had awful handling, no prestige (lets face it I think to a large degree we all love the presitige of saying "I drive a Porsche". How many chicks do you know that get excited when you tell them you drive a Subaru?). For the few moments I drove that 350Z I learned all the reasons why I love my Porsche and its not for 0-60 times. In fact, if you are breaking the tread in a C4 to get awesome 0-60's then get ready for a WHOPPING REPAIR BILL! AWD Porsches are certainly not meant to do that and ultimately you will destroy the car by trying to obtain wheel spinning 0-60's even in the turbo. So that leaves handling, which Mr. HBAcura desires to obtain the from driving a Boxster in the first place, mid egine polar moment of inertia characteristics...at least that is part of his arguement. For all the money he will sink into a Boxster to get more power he could likely own a 996 GT3 street version with no back seat a stationary wing on the back and almost 400 normally aspirated ponies under the hood with superb handling and a Porsche. Although the GT3 is rear engined it will knock the pants off the Boxster (again no offense) in handling.

Click here to read an honest assessmen of a $30,000 driving experience in a 350Z and you will be very proud of where your Boxster is now when you consider that Nissan built thie 350z purposely to compete with the Boxster
Old 07-29-2003, 12:37 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by autobahnNY
Hey,DoubleNutz...That mid-egine design makes for a totally different driving experience compared to the 996.I'll take a Boxster S over a 996 any day(that's my opinion)Not to mention thats there room to grow in performance with mods(ecu,intake,headers)to be as quick as a 996.I know of many others that chose the Boxster over the 996 as well.
What part of LI? I grew up in East Meadow, LI
Old 07-29-2003, 12:55 PM
HBacura
Racer

Steve Wilwerding

If I wanted straight line, I would've bought a rustang gt or a vette. My attack towards Double, was an attack towards his whole car in general. Not straight line, but the overall performance. Like I said in another thread, I'm someone who will take a car that everyone assumes would be the underdog and work with it to surprise the unaware. That's why I chose the boxster: 1. I love it being a convertible 2. there is no back seat, so I don't have to worry about my friends trying to cram in my car (just enough room for me and my lady) 3. the layout of the car is about the best bang for your money. No where in my post did I focus on straight line performance. If you read my post I also mentioned his car was out performed in the slalom, the skidpad, and the overall track time. The lines of the 911 turbo to me read sexy and aggressive, which the other 911 models don't IMO. But, I did mention earlier that with a kit that Gemballa provides and having the rear spoiler engaged at all times, it makes a big difference on my take of the overall appearance of the car. Now if you can find anywhere in my previous posts that I mentioned straight line performance only, then I will quickly apologize for that statement.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:14 PM
HBacura
Racer

DoubleNutz

Good point you did bring up about the GT3, awesome car. From my understanding from reading up on the car, it is a bit hard to handle for novice drivers and does take some getting used to, to get the best performance out of the car. I just like being assumed as the underdog. I'm not sure if you've ever been to the track (strip & auto-X) knowing other drivers are laughing because they think that they are gonna eat you alive, but then surprise them with a car that they assumed had no chance at winning. It's an awesome feeling.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:36 PM
Boxster 3.4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without getting into the heat of the battle here ( FYI ... I think the 996 is a sweet car and the C4S is even better) I have had a 3.4 Boxster for over a year now and could not be happier with the car.

You can use the 5 speed. You do not need the third radiator.

My advice is to buy the cheapest 2.5 litre Boxster you can find. Drop a 3.4 with FVD sportcams , ECU, Headers and cats into it, get some 18" turbo twists and you WILL spend less than you would for a new S let alone a 996.

When you are done it will run away from 993's, 996's and just about all p cars except a frankenstein 944Turbo or 996tt.

Info & early timeslip on my car is at:

http://dlewis1340.home.mchsi.com/

I need to get back and run again as it is getting quicker as the new motor is now broken it.

FVD did all the work and it has been totally solid. Info is on my web page.

Cheers,

Dave

Old 07-29-2003, 02:35 PM
Steve Wilwerding
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by HBacura

No where in my post did I focus on straight line performance.
From original post:

That 34k Lancer spanked the hell out of the C4 and what you paid plus 80k for your ride. It got spanked in accel, quarter mile time, 0-60, 60-0 times, slalom, skidpad, and freakin overall course time.

I don't know what you consider straight line performance, but I consider acceleration, quarter mile time and 0-60 times related to straight line performance.

I also don't see the point in criticizing each other's cars. If you like the Boxster but not the 911, that's fine. If DN likes the 911 better than the Boxster, that's fine too. I think DN was just making some good points about the money you're going to spend vs. what you're going to get, when you decided to deride his car as inferior to an Evo. DN knows why he bought his car - he doesn't need people to criticize it.

Last edited by Steve Wilwerding; 07-29-2003 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:52 PM
KJM3SMG
Racer

he said "focus".. he was naming a bunch of different performance metrics.

He didn't say "mention".

--------------------
KJ

CARS FORUM
- general car topics

Cars:
Old 07-29-2003, 03:35 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Boxster 3.4
Without getting into the heat of the battle here ( FYI ... I think the 996 is a sweet car and the C4S is even better) I have had a 3.4 Boxster for over a year now and could not be happier with the car.

You can use the 5 speed. You do not need the third radiator.

My advice is to buy the cheapest 2.5 litre Boxster you can find. Drop a 3.4 with FVD sportcams , ECU, Headers and cats into it, get some 18" turbo twists and you WILL spend less than you would for a new S let alone a 996.

When you are done it will run away from 993's, 996's and just about all p cars except a frankenstein 944Turbo or 996tt.

Info & early timeslip on my car is at:

http://dlewis1340.home.mchsi.com/

I need to get back and run again as it is getting quicker as the new motor is now broken it.

FVD did all the work and it has been totally solid. Info is on my web page.

Cheers,

Dave

DoubleNutz

Good point you did bring up about the GT3, awesome car. From my understanding from reading up on the car, it is a bit hard to handle for novice drivers and does take some getting used to, to get the best performance out of the car. I just like being assumed as the underdog. I'm not sure if you've ever been to the track (strip & auto-X) knowing other drivers are laughing because they think that they are gonna eat you alive, but then surprise them with a car that they assumed had no chance at winning. It's an awesome feeling.

OK, I think this is taking the wrong tone here...I am actually attempting to have a pleasant and non-confrontational dialogue here. So no battles...ok.

I think the Boxster is great for what is designed to do and at the level of performance Porsche anticipated for it without modification. The same would be true of the 996 , C4, GT3, or Turbo. Once you start to step up the performance, any of these Porsche's can be more challenging to handle. The handling charateristics of the Boxster will also change as you increase its performance level and new challenges will come along with that in addition to the cars unintelligent exploitation of any poor habits the driver may bring to that equation. I believe that even at low HP the Boxster is a difficult car to beat in AX and on a road course. It does not need much to be competitve in those environments but on a front or back straight they loose their edge- and that is not a sole criteria for being a winning car. Extra ponies help but they are not the "end all- be all". I have personally witnessed older 928's at 220HP and 3200lbs beat race prepped 911's with equal or more HP and less weight this has much to do with driver skill as much as the handling charateristics and number of ponies a Porsche has under the hood.

If you want to drag a Porsche then you've got the wrong car- Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros and "phone booth lite Subarus will embarass you. If you want to safely embarass a Corvette, Camaro, or Mustang in the twisties and have a little exclusitivity (unlike the Subaru, anybody can have one of those) then buy a Boxster with less HP. First you will likely finish the race and probably out in front of those that can't keep up with you where you have the advantage in the turns. Less ponies are not a bad thing and if you desire more, as I said earlier, there are less expensive mods you can do to your Boxster that will easily get you to at least stock 996 performance levels. For that matter, get a Boxster S which is almost easily the equal of a 996 in performance.

Old 07-29-2003, 03:46 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

DoubleNutz

I just like being assumed as the underdog. I'm not sure if you've ever been to the track (strip & auto-X) knowing other drivers are laughing because they think that they are gonna eat you alive, but then surprise them with a car that they assumed had no chance at winning. It's an awesome feeling.

You will almost never be assumed for that after you pass through tech inspection.

Everybody pretty much knows what you got under the hood once it is being inspected... eyes will especially be peering if you drove up sounding like a 996 or 928 in a Boxster.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:54 PM
KJM3SMG
Racer

coming from a 996 owner, this surprises me still "For that matter, get a Boxster S which is almost easily the equal of a 996 in performance."...

I never thought those 2 were close even in road races. Can you explain more please? Thx.

--------------------
KJ

CARS FORUM
- general car topics

Cars:
Old 07-29-2003, 04:19 PM
HBacura
Racer

Originally posted by KJM3SMG
he said "focus".. he was naming a bunch of different performance metrics.

He didn't say "mention".

Thank you sir

Edit: hey KJ, I haven't forgot about meeting up one weekend. As soon as I get my car repaired, I'll try to get up with you. I was qouted about 15-25 days, but he said most likely it will be much longer due to shipping in the parts.

Last edited by HBacura; 07-29-2003 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:45 PM
HBacura
Racer

Boxster 3.4

BTW, I like your Boxster. There is no trace of it being modified execpt the cross drilled rotors. How does it sound in comparison to before you ugraded everything.

DoubleNutz

An example of what I'm talking about. http://www.turbovan.net/van.html
I'm not a big drag strip kinda guy, but I do go every now-a-then just to see some of my friends race who work on their cars. As for the minivan, when he used to pull up to the line ppl would laugh at him thinking he would have no chance at winning until the lights turned green and 12 seconds later he reached the finish line first. Download the vid it's pretty funny. That's what I'm referring to as being assumed as the underdog.

Quick Reply: Thinking about the 996 upgrade, need advice please