Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New brake fluid results in creaking clutch, is this a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 11:53 AM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New brake fluid results in creaking clutch, is this a problem?

Hi all,

I recently had the brake fluid flushed in my Boxster. Shortly after, I started to get a creak in the clutch (from the motor compartment, not the spring attached to the pedal). I've since learned that the clutch and brake systems share fluid and that this is a common issue. What I can't seem to find, though, is if this is anything to be concerned about. Does this noise indicate a problem that I need to remedy? I can't imagine it's a good thing, but I can't find any information on it one way or another.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:51 AM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The creaking is from inside the bell housing - I think its from the clutch actuating arm. When I bought my Boxster S 5 years ago, the clutch groaned every time i depressed the pedal. After flushing the fluid, I removed the slave cylinder (not easy with just jack stands and crunched up on your back in 35 deg C temps) and greased the locating pin ball joint. Still creaked and groaned.
Then I had my clutch assembly & IMS replaced 4 years ago and the noise went - but in the last 3 months it has returned, but only when the engine is hot.
So I just accept it now.......I don't think its too serious a problem.

Quick Reply: New brake fluid results in creaking clutch, is this a problem?