CDR23 / Bose system help

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 11:27 PM
eicheldp
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDR23 / Bose system help

Hello,
I'm a new owner of a 2004 S Triptronic that had the CDR23 & Bose system still installed from the factory. I would like to replace the CDR23 and purchase something that will allow me to plug in my Touch or iphone and have Bluetooth capabilities.

I hope someone can provide some advice to a newbie. Do I need to remove the Bose system or can a new unit be wired into the Bose?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:43 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

The CDR23 is a MOST-bus system, of which there is very little (pretty much none) aftermarket support, which means you can't simply replace the head unit with something more modern. To upgrade it means upgrading the whole system, including the amp. A few here have done it, but it's not cheap or easy to do.

I just went and bought a cheap mp3 player with an FM transmitter I stick in the cigarette lighter. Not as nice, but gets the job done.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:16 PM
eicheldp
6th Gear

Thanks for the info. I was afraid of that. Do you think I could swap out the head unit with a more modern Porsche unit?
Old 12-23-2013, 09:36 PM
70Sixter
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by eicheldp
Thanks for the info. I was afraid of that. Do you think I could swap out the head unit with a more modern Porsche unit?
No. PCM makes it easier, but still expensive. The MOST bus mostly affects the amp, speakers are still wired. Trash the amp, rewire, and spend at least $2500.

Quick Reply: CDR23 / Bose system help