Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your Advice & Help

Old 11-11-2013, 07:51 PM
f1sportsalot
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your Advice & Help

My RS 60 had its first CEL. Still has a Porsche CPO, 6/100 warranty, original owner is me. So, they say, the dealer in the big easy, I left the oil filler cap not secure and now I have ruined the air filter, the mass sensor, the oil separator and because so I must pay 1600$. I have changed the oil myself 4 times now and never replaced the cap incorrectly. Are they trying to avoid paying under warranty? Is this possible I changed the vacuum in my motor and ruined all of this? When i first arrived the dealer could not help on a Saturday and told me to drive the car no problem. When it started smoking they said oil separator, no problem, drive it come next week for your appointment. When it looked like a diesel I took it there early and left it. Come on man?
Old 11-11-2013, 10:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by f1sportsalot
My RS 60 had its first CEL. Still has a Porsche CPO, 6/100 warranty, original owner is me. So, they say, the dealer in the big easy, I left the oil filler cap not secure and now I have ruined the air filter, the mass sensor, the oil separator and because so I must pay 1600$. I have changed the oil myself 4 times now and never replaced the cap incorrectly. Are they trying to avoid paying under warranty? Is this possible I changed the vacuum in my motor and ruined all of this? When i first arrived the dealer could not help on a Saturday and told me to drive the car no problem. When it started smoking they said oil separator, no problem, drive it come next week for your appointment. When it looked like a diesel I took it there early and left it. Come on man?
That's BS.

I've forgotten the oil filler cap a few times and no harm has come to anything other than my pride when I discovered what I had done. (A mysterious howl at odd times while driving clued me something was amiss. The big gaping hole of the oil filler tube staring me in the face when I opened the rear trunk lid made it clear where the source of the howl was.)

And if the AOS was suspected giving you extremely bad advice vis a vis driving the car, continuing to drive the car.

If the AOS is suspect stop driving the car right now and flat bed the car to the dealer and get the AOS -- or whatever is wrong -- fixed. Oh, wait you are ahead of me. Good boy.

I have to point out the AOS can make the MAF look bad but it is highly unlikely it affected the MAF.

Plenty of MAF's go bad in cars with a properly operating AOS, an oil filler tube cap that never gets left off, etc.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:15 AM
f1sportsalot
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macster,

I thought this might have brought more advice...only an expert answered.
I really think they are disappointed I have not spent any money there yet and are working to slam me. I have gone to PCNA for a field review.
I would like to know if we could talk via phone on the 12th for the best way to approach all of this BS!
So kind of you to help!
Old 11-12-2013, 06:41 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really think they are disappointed I have not spent any money there yet..... That seems silly, they would get the funds from the CPO and it's guaranteed, no bounced checks.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:43 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't understand why people think dealers avoid warranties, particularly manufacturer's warranties. Like terbium said, it's a guaranteed pay check, no questions asked.

Now the techs diagnosis seems questionable. I would seek another dealer....
Old 11-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

You have mail, or will have mail just as soon as I can post it after finishing this post.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
I don't understand why people think dealers avoid warranties, particularly manufacturer's warranties. Like terbium said, it's a guaranteed pay check, no questions asked.

Now the techs diagnosis seems questionable. I would seek another dealer....
There can be a reason to avoid some warranty work. My info is some warranty work labor is set low, to the point -- in one particular case -- the factory allows for 4 hours while the techs tell me the job takes 6 hours, and there is no way to get the time down to 4 hours.

The techs certainly have the incentive to cut the time down.

The techs tell me when they get in a job like this they eat the time, that is they work 6 hours but only get paid for 4 hours. Now a good dealer, a good service manager, will spread this around and perhaps cut the techs some slack but there is an incentive in some cases for a dealer to refuse warranty work, or at least discourage it.

However I do not believe an AOS job is such a case.

Trending Topics

Old 11-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My local dealer has always seemed eager to do warranty work - they have never tried to avoid it.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:43 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Macster, although some jobs can be difficult to the point where there is some avoidance factor, I'd be wary of any tech that says they are worth their salt that cannot do a repair job in the allotted time. In my experience, our shop knew the vehicles so well, that most times unless something came up, we were able to finish the repairs under the clock.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
Macster, although some jobs can be difficult to the point where there is some avoidance factor, I'd be wary of any tech that says they are worth their salt that cannot do a repair job in the allotted time. In my experience, our shop knew the vehicles so well, that most times unless something came up, we were able to finish the repairs under the clock.
The jobs that are under timed by the factory are rare. But it recently came to my attention there is a recent TSB/recall out on some Panamera models/MY's that requires 6 hours to do and the factory allows for just 4 hours. The techs at the dealers I have talked to are all highly trained/experienced techs and if they say they can't do the job in the time allotted I believe the time allotted is too small.

Let me add I do not think the reason the dealer is rejecting the OP's warranty claim is because it wants to avoid a money losing job. I think the claim based on what I've read is valid and should be honored.

AOS's fail all the time -- personally speaking with my Boxster it is on its 3rd AOS -- and no oil filler tube cap being left off is involved.

That the OP was advised to continue to drive the car when the dealer suspected -- diagnosed IIRC -- a bad AOS contributed to the fouling of the air intake system and the ruining of the MAF in my opinion.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:15 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

If the dealers have an issue about the calculated hours the honorable thing to do is eat them for the customer and take it up with Porsche, these service agreements aren't under priced... Sometimes being a dealer is tough, like when the companies demand certain equipment be onsite but offer no assistance with the demand, that's part of being a dealer has been for a long while. If you want the prestige and pull through of the marque then you should be willing to accept all that comes with it and fight to make the dealership a place that helps propel the acceptance of your cars in the market you are selling them in.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:35 AM
Macster
Race Director

I agree.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:00 AM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Baloney

I dont quite understand their motivation, since Porsche will pay for repairs. Int he Big Easy though, they could be double dipping.

In any event, leaving the oil cap loose would cause crankcase vacuum to fall, which it occasionally does anyway. This cant damage the A/F or MAF which are upstream of it. Plus, how would ambient pressure do that? If true,m you'd ruin your car each night when you park it.

If it is the AoS, and it has progressed to constant smoking, the AoS is well under way to complete failure - i would stop driving it. Note- the AoS gives signals WAY before constant smoking. A puff at startup or under heavy G-loads here and there (track is the obvious one).

I suspect it is the AoS and its just failing. Have them fix it. Free.

Grant

Originally Posted by f1sportsalot
Old 11-28-2013, 11:18 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to mention there is something dealers are capable of doing where if a warranty repair uses more time than allotted, they can ask for straight time which means the factory will pay what the tech has clocked in for that repair. Also the warranty times are designed to pay what the average competent technician is capable of doing. I've seen the times get amended by the factory if most techs aren't able to complete the work in allotted time.

Again... No reason to decline warranty work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Your Advice & Help