Two quick Boxster questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts
Smile Two quick Boxster questions

Yes I continue to tear into my 986. For those keeping score thus far I've replaced the IMS bearing, the Transmission, the AOS, the Throw-out assembly, and am soon to replace the Water Pump/thermostat, and the interior carpeting and door panels (out of all of this the AOS and synchros were the only failures, the rest is just messing around/CYA related business.)

The first question is in regards to the door panels. One of the two replacement panels I have coming has a failed/deployed door airbag cover which is where the side airbag is directed. Is this cover something that can be mended? If not, can that be swapped out for one of my perfectly good non-deployed airbag covers? (the red/black contrast would be very cool I'll admit)

Second question; I've been dealing with the dreaded microswitch dilemma on my driver's side door, the microswitches on both door handles are functional, but when you release the door handle, the glass goes back up. I'm convinced this is the locking mechanism, but before I replace it wholesale, is it something where through careful work you can access and replace the faulty switch inside the self contained unit?
Old 09-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Oh, and before I forget, yes all the interior will be up for grabs if anyone has a burning desire to make their interior into a Poptart oven.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Davebrossi
Yes I continue to tear into my 986. For those keeping score thus far I've replaced the IMS bearing, the Transmission, the AOS, the Throw-out assembly, and am soon to replace the Water Pump/thermostat, and the interior carpeting and door panels (out of all of this the AOS and synchros were the only failures, the rest is just messing around/CYA related business.)

The first question is in regards to the door panels. One of the two replacement panels I have coming has a failed/deployed door airbag cover which is where the side airbag is directed. Is this cover something that can be mended? If not, can that be swapped out for one of my perfectly good non-deployed airbag covers? (the red/black contrast would be very cool I'll admit)

Second question; I've been dealing with the dreaded microswitch dilemma on my driver's side door, the microswitches on both door handles are functional, but when you release the door handle, the glass goes back up. I'm convinced this is the locking mechanism, but before I replace it wholesale, is it something where through careful work you can access and replace the faulty switch inside the self contained unit?
Can't help you with your first question. Well, maybe I can. Consult with an auto upholstery shop and see if the panel cover can be mended/replaced.

The 2nd reads like the door latches are bad. When the handle is released with the door open the glass should stay down because a door latch switch signals the door is open.

If the glass raises the door latch switch is faulty: The signal that should keep the glass down is missing. This comes from a switch in the door latch hardware.

If you pull the handle but do not open the door the glass should go down. But when you release the handle the glass should go up again as the door latch signals the door is still closed.

I had a door latch in IIRC my car's driver side door replaced because of this. There are no serviceable parts in this unit AFAIK. The door latch is an assembly. I do not recall how much it cost to replace.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I need to determine if I have the anti-theft system before I can give you a total cost, but the self contained locking mechanism (door latch hardware) ranges from between 175 to 230 dollars if I recall my Pelican reading this morning. I just wanted to see if I could be somehow crafty before I bought it. Really I'm quite good at timing release of the door latch, but I'm told by those not used to the car (my father who still hasn't gotten his 993 back together yet) that it's a pain to have to deal with the glass
Old 09-27-2013, 03:26 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

This article on the door locks and handles may assist with the issue:
Trouble Shooting Door Lock Mechanism Issues & Solutions
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-27-2013, 03:50 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

AFAIK airbags are a self contained unit all inclusive with the upholstery cover, so it should be easy to R&R. Since you will already be standing on your head disassembling your entire door the aibag should be the funnest part of your day. This is assuming you disconnected the battery 10 minutes beforehand so the bag won't explode on you. Speaking of explosion risk I would think a decent upholsterer could patch up the used bag but might be afraid of the risk. Static electricity can set them off. So stay grounded!
Old 10-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So an update. I've replaced the door panels and mended the airbag cover, replaced the door locking mechanism (finally! The window stays down until I close the door!). I'm on to the carpet and have hit a wall. I followed Wayne's instructions at pelican but I have a cable besides the two shifter cables that runs through the firewall through a hole in the carpet and into the center console. I'm assuming its a wiring harness for the console, but I don't know where to disconnect it. I'd rather not cut the carpet as I'd like to sell it without having to cut it. Any ideas?
Old 10-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Davebrossi
So an update. I've replaced the door panels and mended the airbag cover, replaced the door locking mechanism (finally! The window stays down until I close the door!). I'm on to the carpet and have hit a wall. I followed Wayne's instructions at pelican but I have a cable besides the two shifter cables that runs through the firewall through a hole in the carpet and into the center console. I'm assuming its a wiring harness for the console, but I don't know where to disconnect it. I'd rather not cut the carpet as I'd like to sell it without having to cut it. Any ideas?
Dave that sounds like the parking brake cables. You have to remove the console & then disconnect the park brake cables. Easy to do & easy to reinstall & adjust.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:42 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply Byprodriver! I fear in the end I relied on a pair of sheers to cut a neat and straight line down the carpet. I've found with all the materials in place there is no looseness in the replacement carpet. Everything went back together in fine form. Sadly it does mean that when I sell the original carpet, that's about 50 dollars less. Fixed the window too! Thanks for the advice there!

Quick Reply: Two quick Boxster questions