Sponsored by:

Unable to shift into 1st or 2nd - BoxsterS2006

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 04:19 PM
mountain_man_69
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unable to shift into 1st or 2nd - BoxsterS2006

For the last two or 3 weeks I have had trouble getting the shifter into first or second gear. At times even going to neutral and releasing the clutch and retrying doesn't work. Sometimes its just first gear but mostly its first and second. I can always get it into third. And sometimes rollin off a bit in 3rd will then allow me to get first gear in but not always. There is NO grinding. I just can't get the shifter into the gate. Boxster S 2006 80 000KM

thanks for any advice!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:27 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check the linkage. There is a ball clip, visible from under the car, rear, that sometimes comes off. Or any other linkage irregularity.

of course it could be internal, but i would not start there.

Grant
Old 09-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

As Grant pointed out there's the linkage or transmission internals.

Sometimes a malfunctioning clutch (the hydraulics) can make shifting a real mess. The clutch doesn't fully disengage or doesn't stay disengaged and this then makes shifting, well, like I said above a real mess.

On level ground with the engine idling you should be able to depress the clutch pedal fully and move the shifter from neutral to any gear without any drama.

If you can't then we are back to the linkage, transmission internals, or clutch.

I do not know the history of the car. It should have had a brake and clutch fluid flush/bleed every two years. If it has not had one in a while you might consider doing this or having it done. Regardless if it helps the clutch is can only be good for the braking system. And you know then if the problem lies deeper: linkage or transmissioni internals.

Might mention this doesn't let the clutch or clutch linkage off the hook entirely. A bad clutch master or slave cylinder that doesn't hold fluid can still cause the clutch to creep to a partial engagement and cause shifting problems.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:20 PM
mountain_man_69
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks you for your help. Hummm, this is beyond my repair skill set. Can anyone recommend a shop in Ottawa to get this looked at?

thanks
Old 09-20-2013, 07:58 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

crawling under and looking for a disconnected linkage at the rear/side of the tranny is not beyond your skill set. Maybe fixing it is..... but then at least you know what you are dealing with. In some cases it simply pops back on a ball-end

Grant

Originally Posted by mountain_man_69
Thanks you for your help. Hummm, this is beyond my repair skill set. Can anyone recommend a shop in Ottawa to get this looked at?

thanks

Quick Reply: Unable to shift into 1st or 2nd - BoxsterS2006